Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Moderation" on this website - why is it so strict?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

SectionF wrote: »
    That does seem to be a pattern here, .

there does. Thousands of people come here every day to post, many thousands more to read. That's the only pattern worth studying really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Easy answer: Gamefaqs forums two years ago.
    Thats why.
    They sucked ass. Useful info was buried under flame wars and pointless crap.

some people that signed up here may want to see
    Attn:Username, you suck!LolLOLOLOLOLlolLOllLOl!!!1!!!!!
    threads, but theres more of us that dont.

so if you don't like the moderation here, you can see how everyone else gets on, lurk a bit and then judge. is it the site or is it you?

If you still don't like it, well then theres a big old internet out there for you to explore and you'll find a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well Wibbs, I think that's fine in theory, but it doesn't pan out until you post something that a mod takes exception to and, PMs or no, refuses to justify his response. That does seem to be a pattern here, and the fact that the rules are so hokey merely serves to confirm that they do what they like, with no concept of any standards.

If you have a complaint and can prove/back it up then take it to the help desk thread. IF there is a mod who is doing this then it will be investigated, or if you feel it too sensitive a topic for what ever reason pm an admin or community manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you have a complaint and can prove/back it up then take it to the help desk thread. IF there is a mod who is doing this then it will be investigated, or if you feel it too sensitive a topic for what ever reason pm an admin or community manager.

The user has already posted on the helpdesk several times and didnt receive an answer that suited him.
    He is finding it hard to let it go.

As always, there are thousands of people who manage to post without getting into trouble, and yet, those that get into trouble are the very few that come in here and want an entire site changed to suit what they want.

End story: Wont happen.

The mods do a fine job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

So did I. I anticipated that I would be leaving, and still do. Sorry not to have squared that circle for you.
    I'll leave when I'm zapped, or whatever. In the meantime I'll savour the feeling of liberation and say what I like about censorship on boards.ie, if that's ok with you. I'm being civil to you now only because I want to, and not because some puerile goon wants to make me.

BY the way, it matters not one single jot whether you are 'behaving' or not.

You can say what you want about censorship, the fact of the matter is, I closed your thread becuase all you wanted was to have a little 'tit-for-tat' pissing contest with another user and the thread was locked. You were unhappy that I wouldnt get it reopened for you.

You may wish to re-evaluate the meaning of the word puerile.

I am however happy to be a goon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

8 years on boards.ie and I've only got myself banned once (from After Hours), I honestly don't see why so many people can't stay civil when dealing with people on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nope.

The moderating in the soccer forum is the reason for this thread.

If moderation of the soccer forum is the reason for this thread, then why have you applied your narrow view to the entire site, including many fora you've probably never even seen?

Soccer moderation is the way it is, because it works that way. Hundreds of posters don't seem to have a problem with that, but the ones who do are usually the ones who can't follow simple guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

meah, im my short(ish) time here on boards compared to other users ive seen this thread at least 2 dozen times..

The question is the same generally and my answer is always the same.

Boards.ie is a very large site that has an incredible amount of different forums covering any variant of topics. Each forums has a different tone of conversation and the forum is moderated accordingly.

If i was on a site and didnt like the way the site was moderated i would perhaps look for another site with more lax moderation rules, however you will find that those sites end up being like 4chan or barren 3 posts a day forums where nobody wants to visit because it was ruined by agressive computer geeks trying to be the alpha male in an internet community, to compensate for the systematic beatings they receive and stolen lunch money from their peers in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I wouldn't totally agree with the bit unbiased moderator in disagreement there though Dudess but you're pretty nice :pac:.
    :)
    Yeah I suppose it's not possible for me to be completely unbiased, but when you moderate, you can see where other moderators are coming from, but it's not out of a sense "solidarity" or "duty" that I'm defending moderation of this site. There have been occasions (the exception though) when I've agreed with those starting the feedback threads in relation to specific incidents.

Advertisement