Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for a new Tattoo

Options
  • 12-08-2009 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey people, just got my first and have a few questions.

I know the basics on how to care for it. Have the cream, apply it three times a day etc. Wrapped it up for the first night. Cleaned it with soapy water after a few hours yesterday.

Things ive been wondering though:

1. Would it have a bad effect if i used the cream MORE than 3 times a day, as recommended?

2. I saw advice not to let it dry out, and the cream helps with that, but is it ok to leave it in open air for long periods of time? I.e, can i sit with my shirt off all day today and it wont make it dry out or anything?

3. I had to leave it wrapped up longer than the time recommended by Colourworks to me yesterday (i was travelling home to wexford from dublin). I was worried that not taking the bandage off sooner would have a bad effect. It's over and done with now, but im still curious if this matters.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

blacon9 wrote: »
    Hey people, just got my first and have a few questions.

I know the basics on how to care for it. Have the cream, apply it three times a day etc. Wrapped it up for the first night. Cleaned it with soapy water after a few hours yesterday.

Things ive been wondering though:

1. Would it have a bad effect if i used the cream MORE than 3 times a day, as recommended?
    Not really, no. But you shouldn't really need to use it any more than 3 times.
    2. I saw advice not to let it dry out, and the cream helps with that, but is it ok to leave it in open air for long periods of time? I.e, can i sit with my shirt off all day today and it wont make it dry out or anything?
    Yes, as long as you dont let it dry out :P When you say with your shirt off, yeah, sure, indoors :) stay the FOOK out of the sun :)
    3. I had to leave it wrapped up longer than the time recommended by Colourworks to me yesterday (i was travelling home to wexford from dublin). I was worried that not taking the bandage off sooner would have a bad effect. It's over and done with now, but im still curious if this matters.
    It was a bit of a silly thing to do, bacteria loves it under the film we use to cover new tattoos, its all warm and cosey in there, but you should be fine.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
    No problem ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive gone the opposite to what most artists recommend.

Id never recommend cling wrap at all.

Think about it--your making a warm,moist environment with little oxygen which is exactly the place that anaerobic bacteria thrive.I dont believe thats good for healing.

Im more of the leave it open to the air,wash with antibacterial soap 3 times a day and just use moisturiser(vitamin e cream is ideal) on it to keep it from drying out too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭blacon9

Thanks a mil for the replies.

I hadn't really thought of bacteria. Guna take much more care from now until it's healed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Thanks a mil for the replies.

I hadn't really thought of bacteria. Guna take much more care from now until it's healed.
    enjoy the itch :pac:

my arms are playing havoc atm

Oh yeah the itch! Have fun, haha. Dont pick at it, dont let it dry out, keep it clean because after all it IS an open wound.. basically. Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Like was said before:

Mild Anti-Bacterial liquid soap, pat it dry (with kitchen paper if you have it) don't rub it...
    Apply the cream gently and sparingly (I find that Bepanthen is awesome, anyone that I know that tried it never looked back)
    More than 3 times a day will not do any harm, basically if it's starting to look/feel dry, put a little more on. Always just use a little though, so that when you've rubbed it in gently that there's no whiteness/excess cream visible on your skin.
    Leaving it out in the air will do no harm whatsoever, probably preferable in warm weather, but don't expose it to the sun.

Some great help there guys, thanks a mil.
    After all, i'll only need to learn this stuff once. Next time i'll know what to do :P

After how many days can i expect this itch? I'm the worst for not scratching itches lol.

And do they ALWAYS scab? Or do certain good creams reduce the scabbing? I am using bepanthen.

About 4 days, you'll start to feel it, resist for the love of god and for the well-being of your tattoo!

The word 'scab' is a touchy subject around tattoos, no tattoo should ever scab, if it does it generally means that the artist was very heavy handed and youll likely be left with scarring. What yourll most likely see is tiny pieces of flakey skin, do not worry if you notice the skin coming off as you apply your cream/ointment etc. Thats perfectly normal.

Some great help there guys, thanks a mil.
    After all, i'll only need to learn this stuff once. Next time i'll know what to do :P

After how many days can i expect this itch? I'm the worst for not scratching itches lol.

And do they ALWAYS scab? Or do certain good creams reduce the scabbing? I am using bepanthen.

As QOTSA said, there should be no 'scabbing', it'll get flakey and peeley as the skin tries to heal itself, but that's perfectly normal. During this period will be when it will itch too. Whatever you do, don't scratch it! Sounds odd, but the best thing to do is to give the tattoo a short sharp slap! :D Trust me, it removes the itch nicely, and won't harm your tattoo, just don't beat yourself silly ;) :pac:

Sounds odd, but the best thing to do is to give the tattoo a short sharp slap! :D Trust me, it removes the itch nicely.
    Hahaha, and there was me thinkin' I was weird :o:o

• Advertisement

Haha my girlfriend was slapping the leg off herself when she got one and i thought it was hilarious.

Im glad, i was under the impression that they actually start scabbing before they fully heal. Excellent stuff.

This is what a scabbing tattoo looks like, if yours looks like this.. son you fooked up!scab_obama.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

that looks more like an infection to me.
    Scabbing is usually nothing to worry about, it's more flaking than anything.

Well at least I got the "you ****ed up" part right:cool:

Will wrote: »
    Scabbing is usually nothing to worry about, it's more flaking than anything.

That's the point QOTSA90 is making, scabbing is a really bad term for it, as it's not actually scabbing! It's simply the skin flaking.
    And that if it IS actually scabbing, then there's something badly wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

>.<

i've been coding, english skills are out the window. me fail

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

i've always wondered, what's the cons to putting too much cream on? i.e having some excess cream left on when you rub most of it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dragonz_Rawr

suzaane wrote: »
    i've always wondered, what's the cons to putting too much cream on? i.e having some excess cream left on when you rub most of it in?

Um - someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I think that really the only downside is that it closes the pores on and around the tattoo - which can lead to skin problems like spots. I don't think there are any major problems with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

Um - someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I think that really the only downside is that it closes the pores on and around the tattoo - which can lead to skin problems like spots. I don't think there are any major problems with it...
    oh ok! thank you :)

Yeah Im not too sure about this one, but I also know some ppl develop a small bit of acne around healing tattoos anyways. Id guess its to do with the healing skin needing air and the cream preventing air from reaching it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 millnc30

I know this is probably a stupid Q,but how long should you keep putting the cream on for?I have mine 2 weeks now and i just put a tiny amount on each morning.Is this ok?? Or shud stop putting it on?As this is my first tattoo so im a complete noob;)My tattoo felt fine after 3 or 4 days and still feels like its not there;)

Didnt your artist give you aftercare instructions?

After 2 weeks you should be all healed up, if youre piece is still flaking then by all means, keep applying a thin layer of cream.. but i seriously doubt thats still happening with you.

Sure he gave me aftercare instructions,he just told me that keep putting the cream on if it still flakes,but to be honest it never did flake,so i just kept putting tiny bits on each day just to be sure;)It felt fine after 3 or 4 days when i got it done,it felt like i never got it done:DAnyway thanks 4 the advice,i just wasnt sure if should stop putting it on.will it make any diffrence now that i kept putting the cream on even after it felt healed?
    Im complete noob;)
    Thanks again

meh, Its basically skin moisturiser, so its not going to be bad for you. I know moisturisers are supposed to work wonders on older tattoos, they bring a bit of life back into them :)

Cheers mate;)
    U see the tattooist is my girlfriends brother,who lives in Germany,and he did it a couple hours before i flew back to Dublin,and i wasnt going to ask my girlfriend to ring him and ask him.Thanks anyway,roll on the next 3 tats:D

If you're using Bepanthen or any of those creams that are designed for healing irritated skin, then it'll do no harm whatsoever to keep applying little bits. At 2 weeks it's doubtful that it's fully healed unless your tattoo artist was really light handed, so if it's feeling a little dry, by all means, put some on.

Advertisement