Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 12-08-2009 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

I think it's a great idea. I was browsing through it last night and there were numerous items I'd consider paying for (two items I bought). Going by some threads here and on other sites, it seems that many people are appauled by the idea! When the avatars were first launched, I wasn't sure about them, but I have to admit I do like them.

So, who has purchased clothes or props... Who is open to the idea, and who thinks the rest of us are idiots? ;)

Have you made a purchase from the Avatar Marketplace 21 votes

Yes, I've bought something already.
    0% 0 votes
    I haven't bought anything yet, but I'm open to the idea.
    57% 12 votes
    No. I'll never spend money on pretend clothes.
    42% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Meh, to each their own.

If they add to the experience for some people then good for them

Personally I have zero interest in them and I cant believe their isn't a big lawsuit on Bill Gates desk from Nintendo.

For me they simply add nothing to my enjoyment of gaming

Forza 2 with the steering wheel on the other hand is simply glorious ;) an R1 car on laguna seca. Oh baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I still think avatars are a steaming pile of ****, so no for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yarrrr.

That'll make no sense if you have signatures turned off. :)

I like them. I hope the add lots more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

+1

I loves em! Saying that, its a new low for wasting money on my part :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

However cool lookin they are I can't justify spending real money on pretend clothes. Avatar clothes unlocked by in-game achievements however I think is a great idea.

To those of you have already made purchases, walk the plank!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

However cool lookin they are I can't justify spending real money on pretend clothes. Avatar clothes unlocked by in-game achievements however I think is a great idea.

To those of you have already made purchases, walk the plank!:)

Have to agree. The biggest WTF from me was when I saw the Adidas section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I was gonna abstain, until I saw the Star Wars stuff. Lightsabers kill my common sense! The idea of unlocking clothes with achievements is great though, I hope developers implement it often!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Love the look of the Monkey Island items in particular, but I won't be buying any.
    I love the idea of there being items unlocked through the games, and I think this is how the whole avatar marketplace thing should be done, that you can buy the item or unlock it in-game, but have none that are available only one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

I like the idea of them being unlocked in-game...but paying for imaginary items???? I have to say its pretty mental.

If they were only 20/30 MS points then it might be an option, but 300/400 MS points is a complete joke. Nearly half the price of a game ???? WTF

But you get morons buying them, so they'll keep selling them :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Paying for avatar stuff is just plain barmy IMO.

No doubt they will make a fortune tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

i don't think id go and buy points just for clothes but if i had some left over i might purchase something. another thing that annoyed me is that they are selling the helmets separate, like the cog armor and the stormtrooper uniform. you should be able to buy the full uniform and have the choice to use the helmet or not

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Paying for clothes for your pretend avatar to me me is just offensive no matter how nice they are.

I do love the idea of unlockable clothing though. A really nice way to show off some achievements and your skill in a game rather than how much money is in your wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheMeatMan

Vegeta wrote: »
    Forza 2 with the steering wheel on the other hand is simply glorious ;) an R1 car on laguna seca. Oh baby

haha my favourite class on forza! wanna race sometime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Agree with most here. It would want to be something special to make me fork over any amount of points for it. I am excited by the prospect of unlocking stuff by playing the game though. Thats a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

something nice for 50 points or less would be ok but things like a lightsaber for 400 points is madness beyond belief!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Example: I'd be pretty sweet if in Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 you unlocked a pilot's hat for that games equivalent "Mile High Club" achievement. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I'm not really bothered, but if they got a Tapout, Affliction or MMA section I'd probably spend money on that.

EDIT: I bet they'd make a tonne of money if they released preimer league jersey's from clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

At a time when the country is on its knees and there are people out there who cant even afford to pay the rent each week from losing their job, it really annoys me that people are blowing money on little hats and swords to make them look cool when the reality is that no-one honestly gives a **** what your avatar looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Yeah, but mine is extra cool.

Look at him!!! Notice meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

If only you could buy a furry orange body suit with black stripes for your avatar. All you need to do then is change the text in your avatar's speech buddle to "Celtic Tiger! Roar!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Some of the stuff is pretty cool! Most of the stuff though is a rip off..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Asmodean wrote: »
    At a time when the country is on its knees and there are people out there who cant even afford to pay the rent each week from losing their job, it really annoys me that people are blowing money on little hats and swords to make them look cool when the reality is that no-one honestly gives a **** what your avatar looks like.

Does it really annoy you? I think it's a waste, but who honestly cares what people spend their spare cash on. Should we all be living like paupers?

Of course it annoys me, why else would I have said it.

Asmodean wrote: »
    Of course it annoys me, why else would I have said it.

So, you've never bought anything that's frivolous in your life? Everything you've got has been absolutely essential to your survival?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Does it really annoy you? I think it's a waste, but who honestly cares what people spend their spare cash on. Should we all be living like paupers?

Don't mind him dude...you spending your cash is keeping an economy going somewhere and some guy in a job.

Keep up the hard work :D

So, you've never bought anything that's frivolous in your life? Everything you've got has been absolutely essential to your survival?

Calm down I'm not personally attacking you or anything I'm just disagreeing with you. In my opinion it's a waste of money, you disagree so just leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I think is really is a bit of a con job similar to that of mobile phone ring tones are. These things are usually aimed at a partictular market and if they want spend money on pretend clothes, thats fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Paying for pretend clothes. No thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Now come on, be reasonable here.

People are making it out that some are going onto their xbox and after shelling out 40 something quid on 4200 points and blowing it all on virtual clothes!

The intention for it was that you could blow low amounts of points when you have bought whatever you want from the marketplace, arcades, map packs etc.

For example, i bought 2100 points yesterday, came home and downloaded the turtles game and a few RB track packs.
    Now i knew that i would be left with about 200-300 points and i know i dont buy them that regulary, so not to be left with them i spent some of the remainder on m avatar.
    2 cool tops and a skateboard (cos i love skate 2).

People need to stop over-reacting about the whole issue, its only for a bit of fun.

Cant wait to see what games get on board with it. Some of the items look really well transcribed to the avatar look.
    The splinter cell stuff for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

and who thinks the rest of us are idiots? ;)

Quoted for truth.

Advertisement