Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom download limit?

• 12-08-2009 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Anybody wondered this?

Your monthly download allowance is 50GB

This is the maximum amount of data you can download from the Internet each month. If you go over 50GB, each extra 1Mb will cost 1c. Think of it this way: there are 1,024Mb in 1GB. Your 50GB are over 30,000Mb. A song is about 5Mb of data. So you could download over 6,000 songs every month with your 50GB. If you go over 50GB, one extra song would cost you 5c.

Time Online July 2009 359:46:22
    Bytes Uploaded 1270 MB
    Bytes Downloaded 38990 MB
    Allowance Used 95%

Time Online August 2009 225:15:34
    Bytes Uploaded 693 MB
    Bytes Downloaded 22283 MB
    Allowance Used 54%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

no, but this is available from eircoms website, http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=105&E=0000000000180318191&K=9009&SXI=7&E=0000000000180318191&St=105&K=9009&SXI=7&t=startup&branch=4 by filling in your account number and telephone number.

btw: you have just posted your broadband ustage:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

is it 40gb, 50gb or higher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Venenum

Hi Calebmcd!
    As you I've done a contract with eircomm with download limit of 50 GB,
    But if I do remember pretty well for every extra Mb it's 2 cent.
    I know it's quite pricy but it depends on how much you download.
    i.e. if your usage is very large probably you should make a choice of a different provider.

Kind regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

Heres a free application for keeping those eircom bills down... :)
    www.broadband-usage.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Calebmcd wrote: »
    there are 1,024Mb in 1GB. Your 50GB are over 30,000Mb.

Most ISPs count 1GB = 1 billion bytes. 50GB is 50,000MB, not 30,000MB.

Looks to me like your limit is 40GB too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Venenum

Hi Everyone!
    The /mb package has a download allowance of 50 GB :P

It depents on what you do!It may be overcome very easily if you do lot's of things.

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0121654227.1250090900@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadehmldlmiicefeceiedffndffg.0&cid=7MbFriends&site=Res

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

jor el wrote: »
    Most ISPs count 1GB = 1 billion bytes. 50GB is 50,000MB, not 30,000MB.

Looks to me like your limit is 40GB too.

Thats the thing, the Eircom download manager show 40gb as the limit.

But they advertise it as 50gb, and 1gb = 1024mb

False advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 movingtocobh

Is Eircom really strict regarding download allowance?
    Are people actually getting charged for going over the limit???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is Eircom really strict regarding download allowance?
    Are people actually getting charged for going over the limit???

They don't charge, my monthly average has always been 100GB and my may download total was 200GB without a word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

While I haven't heard of anyone actually being charged by Eircom for going over their download/upload limit, I do recall a Boards users stating a few months ago that Eircom started charging customers for going over their download/upload limit after years of them turning a blind eye.

Does anyone have any concrete proof that Eircom have actually charged any Eircom user for exceeding their monthly limit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Rsaeire wrote: »
    While I haven't heard of anyone actually being charged by Eircom for going over their download/upload limit, I do recall a Boards users stating a few months ago that Eircom started charging customers for going over their download/upload limit after years of them turning a blind eye.

Does anyone have any concrete proof that Eircom have actually charged any Eircom user for exceeding their monthly limit?

This question is asked with monotonous regularity on here and the answer is no. If Eircom did start charging i am sure there would be a post or two!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Rsaeire wrote: »

:rolleyes: That was Smart, BT have throttled people but Eircom have yet to charge or limit use. Just take it as unlimited, I do

dub45 wrote: »
    This question is asked with monotonous regularity on here and the answer is no. If Eircom did start charging i am sure there would be a post or two!:rolleyes:
    I'm sure there would be a post, hence me stating I recalled a Boards member mentioning several months ago that Eircom started charging for over-usage. Thank you for your reply all the same.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: That was Smart, BT have throttled people but Eircom have yet to charge or limit use. Just take it as unlimited, I do

Will do, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Eldermore

i got the 7mb connection with the 50gig limit, it onlys shows a limit of 40960 MB on their support site, i called and they said i wont be charged its fine, i thought he had meant since i had already gone over that so ive been freaking out after blowin my limit , now 50960, and having to wait 3 weeks till i can download again, but i guess i wont worry about it anymore... If i get charged ye shall now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭DenMan

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They don't charge, my monthly average has always been 100GB and my may download total was 200GB without a word

wtf!!! I used to be a download junkie but now I average 3-4 Gig a week. That's just 12-15GB in a month. How did you amass 200GB in May?

I'll be going over the 40gb this month for the first time. One of the main reasons I changed my bb package was the 50gb they advertised. If I get charged I'll put the bill up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I've gone over 30GB this month. But it's not normal for me.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Do eircom enforce the download caps on their 50MB package?

Also is it true that they are against illegal downloading?

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Do eircom enforce the download caps on their 50MB package?

Also is it true that they are against illegal downloading?

According to the last half a dozen posts, it doesn't seem they do. In saying that, there might, eventually, be one person who posts that they were charged, but until then, it looks as if Eircom customers can download as much as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

I don't consider my self to be an excessive user, although I do download the occasional movie or program and according to Eircom I'm at about 60GB/month. I certainly question the number and I have recently installed Broadband usage monitor and I'll be monitoring it in the future. Anyway my limit is supposed to be 50GB/month, but their website indicates a limit of 40GB/month. So if I am charged at 1 cent per MB, we're talking €100 if over by 10GB/month or €200 if over by 20GB/month. Luckily it appears that they aren't charging, but this could change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I always go over, and I'm thinking of switching to UPC. If i do, will Eircom make me pay the amount I went over. This has been happening for over 3 years so I'd say they'd want 10-15k :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tanora78

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 danoxx1

I sign up by a advertiser at my door he said u can't go over but they can slow down your speed very recently signed up went over by 3gb nothing happens for me still 30gb usage 3mb on average 2.7!

Hopes this clarifies everything! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭Varik

if they ever do throttling i'd a bit piss off but it be liveable if it's by the month and not 30 without going over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Switch to their business package for the same price if you can. There is unlimited download allowance for business packages, from business starter up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

I regularly download 200-300GB's a month and have never been asked for money or even warned by eircom(in 6 years of broadband with them).
    Its the main reason I've stayed with them.
    No cap or penalty charges is worth the eircom monthly charges in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I regularly download 200-300GB's a month and have never been asked for money or even warned by eircom(in 6 years of broadband with them).
    Its the main reason I've stayed with them.
    No cap or penalty charges is worth the eircom monthly charges in my opinion.

This is the main reason I'm still with them too.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 danoxx1

Don't mind me asking how could you use 200-300gb i even download torrents movies apps use computer for hours . How could u use all that data usage !!!:confused:

Have been with Eircom since January 2007 and have never gone over...even when I was on 3mb with a 20gb limit. I have an email from them stating that I have a 50GB allowance I never go over the 40gb limit shown on the webstats page. Don't know why really :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

danoxx1 wrote: »
    Don't mind me asking how could you use 200-300gb i even download torrents movies apps use computer for hours . How could u use all that data usage !!!:confused:

Try downloading every single album you will never ever listen to.

films you have no intention of watching.

games you have no time to play

you see where this is going.

Advertisement