Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shevchenko - The New Winston Bogarde?

• 12-08-2009 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/chelsea/6014407/Andrei-Shevchenko-to-see-out-Chelsea-contract.html
    Shevchenko was not even on the bench for Chelsea’s penalty shoot-out victory over Manchester United at Wembley at the weekend in the season-opening Community Shield.

Regardless, Shevchenko has spurned the opportunity to secure first-team football in his native Ukraine to stay at Stamford Bridge, according to a report in the Star.

“I still have a year left on my contract with Chelsea and I want to stay in London until it expires,” said Shevchenko.

“Only God knows what is going to happen then.”

Shevchenko cost Chelsea £30.8 million three years ago but, despite a stellar career in Serie A with Milan, failed to make any genuine impression at the club, scoring just nine times in a career spent mainly on the bench.

Even a return to the San Siro for a season-long loan last season failed to revitalise him and his best days appear to be long behind the striker now.
    £110,000 a week to sit on the bench and kick a ball around at training, it just goes to show just how insane that the renumeration is for footballers these days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

when he scores the winner in the champions league final then the 30 million and the 110,000 wages will all have been worth it!!

then he can jog on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

LanceStorm wrote: »
    when he scores the winner in the champions league final then the 30 million and the 110,000 wages will all have been worth it!!

then he can jog on!!

will he even be registered in their CL squad? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

will he even be registered in their CL squad? :P

and if he is, will they even make the final??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

then he can jog on!!

WHEN. Thats a nice big word to use. He didnt do it last time. Still everyones deserves a second chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

orourkeda wrote: »
    WHEN. Thats a nice big word to use. He didnt do it last time. Still everyones deserves a second chance

Even Mutu??? :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

orourkeda wrote: »

2003, old trafford, Milan vs Juve, he scored a penelty against the best keeper in the world to win the CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Seaneh wrote: »
    2003, old trafford, Milan vs Juve, he scored a penelty against the best keeper in the world to win the CL final.

FYP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I got the start date of the season right =D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Drogba and Kalou will be leaving for the African Cup Of Nations or whatever its called so it will be handy to have him around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

was his move to Stamford Bridge the worst transfer of all time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Mr Alan wrote: »

nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If Chelsea weren't chelsea and it was a normal club who needed an expenditure like that to pay off, then it probably would have been, but as it was it was just a drop in the ocean relative to their spending at the time, so not so bad, particularly since they did have Drogba banging in the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

then he can jog on!!

Day dream much:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm struggling to think of a worse one tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

dancor wrote: »
    FYP

If you were going to fix it for him you might have spelled penalty right while you were at it. :)

He seems way down the pecking order and staying in light of that does give off the attitude "feck them for buying me and not giving me a chance, I'll stay here and get the money they offered."

I can see his point in a way. But you'd imagine for a player like him the money shouldn't be an issue now (he has plenty afterall) and he should have some pride and ambition left in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Straight swap of Cannavaro for Carini 2 years before he became world player of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Sean "As Fast As Michael Owen" Dundee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

thebhoy wrote: »
    Sean "As Fast As Michael Owen" Dundee

Didn't Sean Dundee cost about two million or something though. Obviously also a waste of money, but wasting two million for no goals and about seven appearances has to be better than 30 million for nine goals. Plus another 6 mil a season wages of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

veron???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

redzerdrog wrote: »
    veron???
    Veron had a better impact at United and was sold on for £14m so Shevchenko was a much worse transfer imo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Veron had a better impact at United and was sold on for £14m so Shevchenko was a much worse transfer imo
    Still dirt, Shevchenko is a bad move because of what he cost but no way is he the worst ever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Crespo was possibly worse. He went on to achieve things with other clubs while still under contract to chelsea because he didn't want to play for chelsea even after winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RodVelvet

Seba had quite an impact in Europe during his stint with Man u in my opinion. It's the premiership where he didn't really cut the mustard. Wouldn't rate him as high as Shevchenko in the worst transfer terms. Denilson might be worth a shout. At least Shevchenko was a brilliant player, Denilson was an overpriced showpony as Betis found out.

id call Franny Jeffers a worse one. Yes he cost a lot less, but his cost relative to arsenals spending/wealth was a lot more then sheva's in relation to chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

If we're going down that route, then I think Steve Marlet to Fulham is worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Two words....

Ali Dia.

ali dia is obviously in a league of his own, but id see that as a different thing really as he was only brought in as a tester, there was no real expectation, he was an unknown. Pride was the only real loss there for the club/souness. The others named however came with reputations and expectations of being the little extra needed to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Matias Vuoso. I still wake up in cold sweat every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Nigel Quashie, a sign more often that not your team would be relegated :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Denílsons record smashing move to betis for $32 million is up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Back on topic. Fair play to Sheva, he`s done nothing wrong. He has a contract for another year and so long as he honours that, he`ll be paid his wages. His transfer fee wasn`t his fault, he just too old to adjust to the premier when he arrived. If I were getting paid for showing up every day and doing nothing, I wouldn`t leave. Pity the HSE aren`t hiring.
    Sheva`s golf handicap is pretty low, bet he`ll be playing off scratch by the end of the year, cos he sure won`t be doing much else on a Saturday afternoon.

Pizarro will be sold to werder id imagine as we can still get something for him, so id hold on to Sheva, even if he gets us 10 goals in all comps id consider that a huge success and might help get rid of a few people off his back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pizarro will be sold to werder id imagine as we can still get something for him, so id hold on to Sheva, even if he gets 10 starts in all comps id consider that a huge success and might help get rid of a few people off his back!!
    FYP:pac:

Quazzie wrote: »
    FYP:pac:

well to be honest with you him getting 10 starts is alot less likely than getting 10 lucky goals as a sub no?

Advertisement