Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL - marked hard or easy?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

About 6 A's in my english class i know of so far! so meh! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

bythewoods wrote: »
    I repeated English.
    Didn't read Macbeth.
    Didn't read one of my comparative texts. One comparative mode. 1 poet.
    A1 Higher.
    Absolute SHOCK and disbelief tbh.

I assumed they'd been marked easier....?
    Got an A last year as well though...
    *shrug

At the end of the day, a good ability to write as well as good critical analysis skills can get you high grades in English without as much effort as someone else might have to put in.

Needless to say, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

In a C student, got D1 in the pres but i got an A1 today! English was the last subject i expected an A in...so im not really in uproar to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭15Pete

Got my A1. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

B2. Take that constant stream of Cs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Yah there is something weird going on because I got an A1 while my friend got a C1 and he is usually up there with me in English or even higher than myself. Another of my pals got an A1 and he didnt do a tap for paper 2. He only covered longley and montague as he was preoccupied with maths which he got an A1 in.

Im delighted with my 580!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

One of my brothers was an A student in Englsih. He got an A in H.L paper last year. Thought he was on course for A again this year. He got a C1 and was disappointed when people he knows who were generally C students got As. Rechecks on the cards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭the_wheel_turns

I repeated this year, got A1s in English both times.

Last year and this year there were and are people who get the most ridiculous results. The guy I sat beside last year got B1/B2 grades all year, including his mocks, then got a C3 in the real thing.

He appealed, but no change.

This year, someone in my class got a D3 (lowest ever result in this teacher's class) with a B2 in his mocks.

Sometimes examiners can be really, really thick.

And then sometimes, whatever you write might be taken the wrong way or, written in the heat of the moment, make you look thick.

**** happens, mar a deirtear.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RFM

Yeah I got A's and B's all through 6th year, a B2 in the mocks and got a C2 in the main exam, and I thought my paper 1 was really good, so I'm really pissed off now

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Got an A2, would have been happy with a C3 tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Not to put you down but it could have been the other way around..in geography i always got A's including the mocks but in the lc i only got a b3..Same with english i always got a c3 and never got anything above that but in the lc i got a b3..Were your exams corrected by outside correctors or by your teachers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

Got an a1 in English Ordinary Level, still an a1 is an a1:D. Oh and btw it was a complete surprise as im usually a c1/b3 student.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Very dodge english results down our way, alot of c2/c3 results, from people who would be at the upper end of the scale, myself included!

Guidance teacher thought it all a little stragne aswell so he basically advised us all to view them to see....

I may to see what happens then so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HunterBK21

For the last six years of my life I have been getting A's in English, and in the LC I got a C1! My friend who has never studied English (He rang me the night before to find out the layout of the paper) got an A1. Incase you think its my teacher, I have had different teachers, and I never put my name on my work so that knowing it was me wouldn't influence the correcting. I am definately getting it rechecked! My style of English is very argumentative and opinionated, so if the corrector didnt agree with my point of view on things it might have affected my result i think.

ME HAV NVR BIN MRE ANUYD ABOUT ME RESULTS B4. Like I gt a B2 n me mocks n nw I gt a D3...

I'm not lying, I usually get B's and C's at worst in class, and now this, like, its an abomination, I wasn't even one of the saps who wrote "I got my perfect paper and you better give me more points because this has mentally scared me".

But a D3 basically states me a person who's incapable of speaking the feckin language.:rolleyes:

URRRRRGH. Sorry for the slight rant, I'm just a tad annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I got C1 which was kind of an improvement for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Was very dissapointed with English, from getting A2's and B1's all through 5th and 6th year I ended up with a C1.

I pretty much smoked the two papers, including the poetry which I can safely say was my best answer out of every subject. Completely nailed it. Actually I copied an A2 marked essay I wrote for a short story aswell(not copied from somewhere else, my own work)

I honestly don't see how I could have got less than a B2, but lo and behold. Very annoyed and will probably get a recheck:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

HunterBK21 wrote: »
    For the last six years of my life I have been getting A's in English, and in the LC I got a C1! My friend who has never studied English (He rang me the night before to find out the layout of the paper) got an A1. Incase you think its my teacher, I have had different teachers, and I never put my name on my work so that knowing it was me wouldn't influence the correcting. I am definately getting it rechecked! My style of English is very argumentative and opinionated, so if the corrector didnt agree with my point of view on things it might have affected my result i think.

Thats what should be the main basis in assessing English, your ability to express your points, not adhering to pompous language and archaic terminology to impress some old fashioned bat.

That sounded very fruity didn't it, but just to prove it, a guy in my class who got a B3 wouldn't understand half of those words.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

repeated - got a B2 last year

been getting A's all year & i go to the institute so they mark properly

got a C3 ?????/ WTF i came out of that exam SO HAPPY

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My highest ever English result, A1... Guess I got lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I got a B2, which is pretty fair considering my poetry question was woeful.

I normally get As and high Bs so it was pretty on the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

IMO this is the problem with the leaving cert course having your teacher correcting your exams pre leaving means he/she takes personal opinions into account when correcting your exams. then when the actual thing comes around you do worse if your teacher liked you or better if the teacher did not like you because nobody who knows you is correcting it.
    most schools send the mocks away to get corrected.i think the marking on the english papers this year was quite tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

wow, sucks for you guys. i have never been a great student at english but i got a b2.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

really thought i made a mess if english, and came out with an A1, but some friends who would normally be b1 standard have gotten c's....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i got the exact same in my leaving as i did in the mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Got an A2, well happy, was expecting a B1.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    wow, sucks for you guys. i have never been a great student at english but i got a b2.

I hope you put capital letters in your papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

"Uproar over English!!!" my foot!

I hope people didn't rely on such sensation-mongering to impress the English examiners!

Some people seem to be disappointed, some are very pleased ... typical enough response to English in particular in any year.

If you are disappointed, view your papers, preferably with someone who can give you qualified and objective advice ... make a decision as to whether to appeal or not then.

*changes title*

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Uproar over English!!!" my foot!

I hope people didn't rely on such sensation-mongering to impress the English examiners!

Some people seem to be disappointed, some are very pleased ... typical enough response to English in particular in any year.

If you are disappointed, view your papers, preferably with someone who can give you qualified and objective advice ... make a decision as to whether to appeal or not then.

*changes title*

Re-open the leaked English paper thread again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I'm not great at English but I somehow managed an A1. I really want to see my paper because I'm sure half of what I wrote was pure nonsense.

Advertisement