Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL - marked hard or easy?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That_Guy wrote: »
    Re-open the leaked English paper thread again. :)
    Revisiting trauma under the supervision of a qualified professional may sometimes be therapeutic; diving back into it on one's own seldom is ... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Futurism wrote: »
    I'm not great at English but I somehow managed an A1. I really want to see my paper because I'm sure half of what I wrote was pure nonsense.

I hope you didn't write stupid things on the 50 euro you attached to your paper.

I kid. Fair play to you for getting an A1. I'd like to think I'm half decent at English but getting an A1 in English is not an easy thing to do.

For those about to use grammar correctly..... I salute you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I got an A2. I'd usually be an A standard student but I felt that I totally fecked up the exam (only got two and a half paragraphs on the comparative) so it was a total surprise for me!

I got an A2. I'd usually be an A standard student but I felt that I totally fecked up the exam (only got two and a half paragraphs on the comparative) so it was a total surprise for me!

It's all about quality not quantity. You must have gotten your point across very very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

i think it was marked averagely. I got the grade i was hoping and expecting for so no complaints from this chappy.

If you remember who was in your centre when you sat English, ask them what they got and if it seems fishy then get it re checked. Chances are then the examiner was a ***** and was just fishing for lost marks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd say super easy!I was convinced i was failing my poetry essay was terrible :D

But i got a C2 in honours :)

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'd say super easy!I was convinced i was failing my poetry essay was terrible :D

But i got a C2 in honours :)

For a minute there I thought it said you got €2 in honours. What school did you go to? :)

Still fair play though. When I did my leaving cert 2 years ago I thought I did rubbish in it but I managed to get an A2 which I was ecstatic with.

"Me fail English?" Never!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

I hope you put capital letters in your papers.

i dont think it really matters at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Not entirely true. With English, there is a lot of scope for bad marking. It's not like with Geography or History where if you get your facts straight then you are guaranteed a good grade. On the other hand you can give the most impressive and convincing argument in English only to be given a bad mark because the examiner doesn't agree with what you are saying.

This is complete bs. Correcters have to be completely objective when correcting an exam. My theory is that many people focused too much on the material for paper 2 and their answers may have not been relevant.

almostover wrote: »
    This is complete bs. Correcters have to be completely objective when correcting an exam.
    Examiners certainly strive for complete objectivity, but English is a much harder subject to achieve this in than, say, Maths or the sciences.
    almostover wrote: »
    My theory is that many people focused too much on the material for paper 2 and their answers may have not been relevant.
    There may be truth in that too in some cases.

Also, people react differently under exam stress ... some get an adrenalin rush and do better than they normally would, others who would normally do well start to waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭beccabeccabecca

So upset with English...I've gotten straight As since 1st Year and only got a B3 today. I got my points, but I'm still disappointed. Definitely getting it rechecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 UnDeNiAbLe

i was delighted....lmy teacher predicted B or a C but i got an A1 !!!!!!!! ha in ur face lol was sooooooooo happy especially since english isnt my native language and i have only started learning it (from abc lol) since 5 years :)

UnDeNiAbLe wrote: »
    i got an A1 !!!!!!!! .... was sooooooooo happy especially since english isnt my native language ... :)
    That's seriously impressive, very well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

First off, congrats on all your results!

Now, to put a few things to bed:

1. An examiner will not mark you down because s/he disagrees with the point of your essay, that's demented. You will lose marks for a badly written, poorly structured, incoherent or irrelevant essay.

2. It doesn't matter what your excellent essay got in class or a mock. It had to be relevant to the title. In the past, people have been able to learn off a 'perfect' short story and slot it into a title. For the past few years, the Exams Commission has really tightened up on this. Q7 this year asked for a short story based on a photo, I felt like screaming every time a student wrote a short story based on one of the people in the photos! Many potential A students went down on this.

3. The poetry essays were quite specific this year. People who ignored the title did badly.

4. A C-grade is the most statistically common grade in HL English.

As a final note to those intending to view their scripts:

- make sure a teacher (preferably someone who marks, not necessarily your own teacher) is with you
    - if there are two or three sets of marks, don't bother appealing, it's already been rechecked
    - unless something jumps out at you e.g. miscalculation of marks, don't bother
    - they very very very rarely upgrade sub-grades e.g a C1 to a C2

Now, get off the internet and go out and enjoy yourselves!

oh yeah, examiners are not 'thick'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

deemark wrote: »
    First off, congrats on all your results!

oh yeah, examiners are not 'thick'...

i cant agree with you on that point, some examiners are thick, i checked my maths paper last year and the examiner skipped 3 clearly marked & neatly layed out answers

i went up by 2 grades

THICK EXAMINER

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

i cant agree with you on that point, some examiners are thick, i checked my maths paper last year and the examiner skipped 3 clearly marked & neatly layed out answers

i went up by 2 grades

THICK EXAMINER

One person made a mistake on your Maths paper and you have posted on an English thread that examiners are thick:rolleyes:

It does show the value of looking at your script though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 UnDeNiAbLe

That's seriously impressive, very well done! :)

thanks ;)

i went up by 2 grades

THICK EXAMINER
    No, some poor examiner skipped a couple of pages by accident in the middle of 400+ scripts under time pressure ...

It shouldn't happen ... ofc it shouldn't happen ... but people are human. That's why there is a procedure for re-checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

im a bit suspious about it myself coz i cant seem to get my head around the fact that i got a B3 in english when im normally a C/D student im not complaining though :) but i think some were marked easier and some marked harder coz my friend is normally a B student but yet she got C3 which is weird coz i never do better than her ever!!!!!!

im a bit suspious about it myself coz i cant seem to get my head around the fact that i got a B3 in english when im normally a C/D student im not complaining though :) but i think some were marked easier and some marked harder coz my friend is normally a B student but yet she got C3 which is weird coz i never do better than her ever!!!!!!

Clearly you put the work in and understood what was being asked of you so you've every right to be delighted with your result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ME HAV NVR BIN MRE ANUYD ABOUT ME RESULTS B4. Like I gt a B2 n me mocks n nw I gt a D3...

Not surprising considering you wrote like that. :D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Another lad & I each got an A2 (oooo proper English), with another chap in the class getting an A1.
    Everyone in the class seemed to do well, there was only about 7 doing HL.

THANK YOU JOHN KEATS, YOU DEPRESSING MOANBAG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Clearly you put the work in and understood what was being asked of you so you've every right to be delighted with your result.

i think i was just extremely lucky though coz i know i shouldnt have done it but i only learned off montague and cultural context :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Surprised so many people feel like English was marked hard, i thought they were marking it very easy, must just be we have a really good school for English!

Not sure how the entire class got on but in my school we had at least 6 A2's and i know of me and at least 2 other guys who got A1's (i was only expect a C1 as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

All of my friends in school did really well in English. I got an A2 and I thought I'd completely messed up so I was delighted. I guess the correctors vary hugely from school to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

English went fairly well for myself, ended up getting a C1. Normally it would be rather difficult for me to get that....got a C3 in the mocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

im disappointed with english. its one of my best subjects and i got a c2 in it.

was hoping for at least a b3.

defo getting it rechecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

got an A1 in it and was delighted really thought i made a balls of paper 2! there was only 2 A1's in our school so that made it even sweeter!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

I got an A1, seriously delighted seeing as I actually cried after paper one (mortifying lol) because my essay was so silly! (Did the school one...) I was expecting a B2 at best! I think paper 2 must have saved me! Derek Walcott is my hero...!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

MavisDavis wrote: »
    Didn't even do the prescribed poetry section and I got a A2. Up from a D1 in the mocks.

Uproar? I'm delighted!

at honours?:eek:

Advertisement