Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL - marked hard or easy?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

yeah i was really annoyed with english too it was so unfairly marked.
    It was their fault with the paper mix-up if anything it should have been marked slightly easier,a lot of people i know got d's when they should have got a's which makes absolutely no sense,Im clueless really??

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

A2...I was absolutely delighted with everything- especially this as I really didn't think I had done well enough in paper 2. but very happy as an A in English is what I always wanted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

English was my worst, C3 in higher, but I got my points. Looking through this thread I'm thinking maybe I should have it rechecked although I'm not sure if it's worth the bother, big congrats to anyone who managed to pull an A out of it ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Marked VERY easy in my opinion. I got an A1 in HL :eek::eek::eek:

I really didn't deserve it. My paper two was an abomination. Seriously. I even started one comparative question, changed my mind after a page and started a new one!

It's probably a typo, but hey, I can't complain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

cazzzzz wrote: »
    yeah i was really annoyed with english too it was so unfairly marked.
    It was their fault with the paper mix-up if anything it should have been marked slightly easier,a lot of people i know got d's when they should have got a's which makes absolutely no sense,Im clueless really??

Why should it be marked easier? Students were given another paper, which was the fairest thing for everyone as everyone was in the same boat.

Think about it, if it was marked 'easier' and 50% of students got As, then everyone would get more points and the points for everything would go up:rolleyes:

Getting good marks in class tests and mocks does not equal an excellent performance on a Leaving Cert exam paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

deemark wrote: »
    Why should it be marked easier? Students were given another paper, which was the fairest thing for everyone as everyone was in the same boat.

I think that this is the most important thing to remember. Yes, there may have been the odd mistake in marking, but because everyone was in the same boat there was a level playing field so what you got was what you deserved in relation to the general quality of the answers.

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I really didn't deserve it. My paper two was an abomination. Seriously. I even started one comparative question, changed my mind after a page and started a new one!

You don't lose marks for attempting a question, both are marked and you get awarded the best.

You don't lose marks for attempting a question, both are marked and you get awarded the best.

I'm aware of that :) My point was that I had to rush through my real comparative question, so it wasn't very well written, or so i thought :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

i was really dissappointed with english. i didnt get lower then a b1 in anything else. i came out with a c2. i got a b3 in mocks and was hoping for a least a b3 again. it really brught down my points. defo goin to have it checked. i dont think the english exam was marked very consistantly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

hope it wasn't marked easy cos I got a D1, my worst grade. got a C2 in the mocks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I think it was marked easy.
    I got an a2 and i usually only get c's

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stylee

I'm very disappointed with english! Honestly, I had put a lot of work into this subject and yesterday I found it wasn't even going to be counted. I got a D2! Alot of my friends got low C's and they normally get A's and B's so i don't really know what happened:( Are one centre's scripts all marked by the same person? I don't know whether to bother getting it rechecked! Can your marks go down? I haven't a clue about the appeals in english!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Afaik, the marking for english this year can only be described by one word; DODGY. I consistently got A1s throughout both years and I got a B2 and no, the exam on the day didn't go awfully for me. My school is known for extremely high results and no-one got an A1. A girl who is a low B student and wasn't planning on counting english got an A2.

The worst thing is that so many people are going to get rechecks that they won't upgrade anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

after starting this thread im torn between spending the 40 euro on the recheck or the grad a few days later.Quite a decision...much more important then the cao of course!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Afaik, the marking for english this year can only be described by one word; DODGY. I consistently got A1s throughout both years and I got a B2 and no, the exam on the day didn't go awfully for me. My school is known for extremely high results and no-one got an A1. A girl who is a low B student and wasn't planning on counting english got an A2.

The worst thing is that so many people are going to get rechecks that they won't upgrade anyone.

Exactly the same for me. I call shenanigans of some sort!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Only 3.8% of HL English students got A1's this year, which is a slight drop-off from the last few years. I also think there's been a slight drop-off in the number of overall A's this year compared to the last few years (IIRC), so I don't think they were marked any easier than usual. If anything, they were marked slightly tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Im in the top 1248.794 people in the country anyway so I cant complain!

The A1 rate in 2008 was 3.9%. This year it is 3.8%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Im in the top 1248.794 people in the country anyway so I cant complain!

The A1 rate in 2008 was 3.9%. This year it is 3.8%

I got an A1 too! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I was in a repeat English class this year which had a pretty poor standard of students.
    An awful lot of us got As which I found altogether SHOCKING.

That's not to say that we didn't necessarily deserve them, but considering the teacher we had (An idiot) and the amount of classes we actually went to (Very few) it's pretty shocking, seeing as many many people are disappointed with their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

moneyman wrote: »
    I got an A1 too! :p:D

me too!! pretty surprised tbh, thought p2 went terrible!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 fearanpost

I got a b2 which was normal enough for me, so i thought it was fair enough!! congrats 2 yas on the a1s, a tough thing 2 get in english!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

What's pissing me off is this; results did not reflect the abilities of the candidates that I know. I'm sure there's lots of people who got A1s who deserved them but I'm also certain that lots scored higher than they deserved aswel as lower thAn they deserved. This the results reflect common trends yet don't necessarily reflect a persons true standard of English. I seriously doubt any positive outcomes for those getting rechecks.

me too!! pretty surprised tbh, thought p2 went terrible!:rolleyes:

Same here!:) My paper two was absolutely dreadful (or so I thought :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Le Cuid A

I was taught by a teacher who always marked us hard during the two years of the leaving cert course, I would usually be given D1s or C3s in any of the essays I wrote and was given a D1 in my mock exams, I got a B3 in the leaving cert, so her hard marking payed off.

Fol20 wrote: »
    Not to put you down but it could have been the other way around..in geography i always got A's including the mocks but in the lc i only got a b3..Same with english i always got a c3 and never got anything above that but in the lc i got a b3..Were your exams corrected by outside correctors or by your teachers?

I'm the exact same every geography exam i did i got a1's and put in loads of work from the mocks to the leaving and got a b3 getting it rechecked for definite.This years English was really weird stupid Louth..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

English marked disgracefully hard, unsympathetic arseholes in the De-****-partment of Edu-****ing-cation.

That's so true,most of my friends that did the leaving are getting subjects re-checked which says a lot,i really hope they do upgrade people who deserve it.

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    English marked disgracefully hard, unsympathetic arseholes in the De-****-partment of Edu-****ing-cation.

I second that

Michaelrsh wrote: »

It's teachers who mark your paper! What does sympathy have to do with it? The mark you've been getting in class all along does not have to correspond with your performance in the exam.

View your scripts, but unless anything jumps out at you (a mistake in adding, a question marked out of 70 instead of 50), don't waste the money on a recheck. The state exams commission doesn't like appeals and only a very few are actually upgraded.

• Advertisement

It's teachers who mark your paper! What does sympathy have to do with it? The mark you've been getting in class all along does not have to correspond with your performance in the exam.

View your scripts, but unless anything jumps out at you (a mistake in adding, a question marked out of 70 instead of 50), don't waste the money on a recheck. The state exams commission doesn't like appeals and only a very few are actually upgraded.

That is true but saying that if you really feel you have done much better than the grade you were given,even after viewing the scripts isn't it only fair for you to be upgraded?

Advertisement