Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia to ditch Symbian?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The only Maemo device I've ever had was the 770, and to be honest it was fairly slow and buggy. It wasn't easy to install software, or even easy to navigate.
    A lot of may have been due to it being such an early incarnation of the OS, or maybe the hardware just wasn't up to it.

On the other hand, I absolutely love symbian s60.
    I've had the 7650, the N-gage QD, the 5500 sport, and currently e71.

By far the most functional phone OS I've ever come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Nokia have made a huge investment in Symbian, so they're hardly going to ditch it completely. I think they should stick Symbian on their low-end handsets and Android on their smartphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

SE should never have sold their share of symbian to nokia, the Symbian UIQ platform is a really good OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭ongarite

mobius42 wrote: »
    Nokia have made a huge investment in Symbian, so they're hardly going to ditch it completely. I think they should stick Symbian on their low-end handsets and Android on their smartphones.

+1. S60 V3 & V5 are both excellent phone OS with multi-tasking.

I thought they would go for Android as it customisable, very multi-media friendly and advancing rapidly due to open-source developement & work by Google, Motorola, Sony & Samsung,etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

As mobius42 mentioned, Nokia have far too much invested in the Symbian platform to just up and leave it suddenly. I also can't see how they would move away from a platform that is run on practically all their handsets; it doesn't make any sense.

I imagine Nokia may venture further into testing devices with different platforms, such as Android or Windows Mobile, but they'll most likely stick with Symbian for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Nokia do seem to have lost focus over the past two years; I think they've been caught resting on their laurels by the emergence of the newer OS's.

What's worrying for me is the numerous conflicting reports that seem to be coming out of Espoo regarding the companies future direction. The company seems unsure of itself. We've been hearing about Maemo for a while as a top end TS OS, and more recently there's the talk of Symbian^4 finally breaking backwards compatibility and representing the companies future. They still haven't ruled out Android and there's the announcement today of some plan with MS - although this does seem to relate to Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Id love to see them use Android, but i don't think I'll ever see the day that the N-series officially uses the Android os. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

hobochris wrote: »
    Id love to see them use Android, but i don't think I'll ever see the day that the N-series officially uses the Android os. :(

i'd prefer to see em using Maemo instead. newer versions of maemo are quite decent

Android is just a touch-screen gimmick used to push Google web services like gmail, gtalk, google wave and all that crap but through a browser of course. maemo is far more open and customisable and not at all integrated with a bunch of silly services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Well thats your opinion and you're entitled to it :) but I have an android phone and the only google piece I use is search and maps. No gmail, no voice, no google docs. etc.

Don't you ever use google search or google maps?
    Dankoozy wrote: »
    i'd prefer to see em using Maemo instead. newer versions of maemo are quite decent

Android is just a touch-screen gimmick used to push Google web services like gmail, gtalk, google wave and all that crap but through a browser of course. maemo is far more open and customisable and not at all integrated with a bunch of silly services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dankoozy wrote: »
    Its only the Google branded phones with this integration.
    Android can be chopped and changed however phone manufacturer wants.HTCs Hero build is very different and doesnt have the same integration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

elderlemon wrote: »
    Well thats your opinion and you're entitled to it :) but I have an android phone and the only google piece I use is search and maps. No gmail, no voice, no google docs. etc.

Don't you ever use google search or google maps?

+1

Most of the appeal of Android for me is it allows developers full access to the phones hardware etc.. Unlike other phone os which are very restrictive on what a developer can access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Well at least this rumour turned out to be false, as I'm interested in what the future holds for Nokia and Symbian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Hmm, various versions of S40 are still actively used.. a tried and tested work-horse.

Too much of a cash cow to let wander off.

Advertisement