Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Modem

Options
  • 12-08-2009 10:51am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

One of my colleagues at work has UPC TV & Broadband at home. The PC is connected via a cable. The problem is that the cable has to run under a mat across a doorway, which is not ideal. She was looking at a WiFi Modem as this would be a neater solution. She asked me if this Modem would work with her system.

I have never seen a UPC set up & so cannot advise her. Looking for advice for the most cost effective way for her to get the UPC set up on WiFi in the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

What your looking for is called a wifi router or access-point, specifally one without a built-in modem. I recommend the whr-hp-g54, but if you already have your eye on one you should quote its model and someone should be able to tell you if its compatible or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Not got my eye on one. Most I see are WiFi Router/Modems.

Thanks for the quick response.

Would this be suitable and is it a good buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Belkin have a poor rep, this is often recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

UPC supply the Netgear WGR614 wireless router , this is easy to setup and instructions are available here. this is available by contacting UPC.

once she has the above, she can get a device that plugs into the socket on the wall and she can connect her laptop via wire. this is ideal her laptop doesnt support wireless.

Advertisement