Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop Press - Video of new free bikes for Dublin as unveiled this morning

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

its a interesting idea and would work in Norway or sweden where crime against anothers property is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Will be interesting to see how they work out but I'm gonna have to agree - vandalism in Ireland is pretty rediculous. You just know that skobes are going to have those quick release saddles robbed/thrown in the Liffey/stuck on their own POS bikes in no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The bikes look sturdy, with pneumatic tyres and a blue coloured mud guard at back, containing the Bikes for Dublin logo.

Ambassador, with these pneumatic tyres you are really spoiling us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how they work out but I'm gonna have to agree - vandalism in Ireland is pretty rediculous. You just know that skobes are going to have those quick release saddles robbed/thrown in the Liffey/stuck on their own POS bikes in no time at all.

I expect the seatposts are a non-standard size (supposedly to deter theft) so it'll be the Liffey then.

Mind you, they might have some method of preventing the seatpost being fully removed (just raised or lowered). That would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Morgan wrote: »
    I expect the seatposts are a non-standard size (supposedly to deter theft) so it'll be the Liffey then.

Mind you, they might have some method of preventing the seatpost being fully removed (just raised or lowered). That would make sense.

True, there doesn't look to be hints of anything just looking at the video but you'd imagine there'd be some form of retaining ring or clip engineered into the frame to prevent them getting totally removed. That said they were probably built at the cheapest tender. We'll be seeing soon enough anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

As far as I'm aware they can only be adjusted up and down, but not removed. Dunno if that's cos they're flared at the bottom or how exactly it's done, but the ones in Paris don't come out either.

Advertisement