Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tomorrow's Irish Independent

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

stovelid wrote: »
    I always hang a most on my assertions too. Otherwise pedants take me to task about my generalizations which is boring.

Ahem. Should that not be mostly rather than always? (or even 'often', 'regularly', 'frequently' ...) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i can't imagine Jesus is that jealous to be honest. He's got loads goin on.
    The f**ker can change water into wine. Course I'm jealous of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Since it's Thursday now, here's today's Irish Times' front page photograph:

http://www.irishtimes.com/todayspaper/2009/0813/index.html

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Ice_Box wrote: »
    Anti-intellectualism is not just an Irish problem ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-intellectualism

tl;dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

If he were not humble then he would not be my preference which was not for a musician but for the humble musician. English, marvellous language, eh

But why should the world take your preferences into account? Famous musicians are not humble. In general. There are always people who hate the legitimately proud ( we all hate the illegitamtely proud like Pee Flynn). Back in the day someone hated Beethoven, the proud show-off. It's all spit-balls from the back of the mediocre class.

And why should anyone really care what the perenial begrudgers think.

Back OT, some kid has worked hard and is now in the paper. If that upsets you then, really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well...has anyone seen it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Well...has anyone seen it yet?

Who? the big nerdy ginger on the front of the times?
    imagine the pu$$y that guy is going to get

http://www.irishtimes.com/todayspaper/

He may get a haircut first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Naikon wrote: »
    I smell BS.

Why?

So the guy worked hard, studied well ( shame on him ) and gave it his best shot. The doesn't mean he was sitting there for the last year thinking "I am going to get 9 A1's".

I am sure he worked hard, and intended to acheive, but that doesn't mean he's driven by ego and HAD to get 9 A1's.

A lot of the attitude in this thread makes me wonder what people's LC scores were like. I get the impression it's a case of "too school to make it through school" with a lot of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Who? the big nerdy ginger on the front of the times?
    imagine the pu$$y that guy is going to get

http://www.irishtimes.com/todayspaper/

If he's so smart - how come he can't find a cure to being ginger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Forget about that ginger lad. What about that 18 year old from Limerick whot got 8 A1s and is now off to Harvard - turns out he's also a millionaire from selling a software company himself and his brother started a few years ago. :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0813/1224252501479.html?via=mr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The posts saying stuff like "I knew someone who got 6 A1s and they had no friends/were a weirdo/will kill us all" make me laugh! It's as if people who didn't get that are somehow guaranteed to be more normal. Guess what? The biggest freak/weirdo I ever knew dropped out of school at 15 and became a junkie. Now that's a loser, not somebody who happens to have put a bit of effort in and got great results in the leaving. Yes some people who get 600 points are odd, but take almost any demographic or group and you will find the sociable and unsociable. Fair play to people who do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Doesn't matter how smart he is, he's still a ginger and that's always going to hold him back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The posts saying stuff like "I knew someone who got 6 A1s and they had no friends/were a weirdo/will kill us all" make me laugh!l.

Exactly.

I did well in the leaving and I was by far the coolest guy in school.

In the whole postcode, in fact.

And I'm not ginger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

lala stone wrote: »
    These A1ers always seem to be from Cork? anyone notice that?!
    See... always from Cork!!!!!!

Ah well 4 years of celibacy for Ginger dude.. bring on the good times!

Dragan wrote: »
    Why?

So the guy worked hard, studied well ( shame on him ) and gave it his best shot. The doesn't mean he was sitting there for the last year thinking "I am going to get 9 A1's".

I am sure he worked hard, and intended to acheive, but that doesn't mean he's driven by ego and HAD to get 9 A1's.

A lot of the attitude in this thread makes me wonder what people's LC scores were like. I get the impression it's a case of "too school to make it through school" with a lot of it.

Methinks you take things way too seriously.

"too school to make it through school" with a lot of it.
    what does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Ah well 4 years of cleibacy for Ginger dude.. bring on the good times!

What does that mean? I presume you didn't get an A1 in English.

prinz wrote: »
    What does that mean? I presume you didn't get an A1 in English.
    No ur right I didnt... if that was a dig because I asked what the above was then dont bother, I genuinely thought this was some phrase I had never heard of..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

No ur right I didnt... if that was a dig because I asked what the above was then dont bother, I genuinely thought this was some phrase I had never heard of..

'too cool for school' I'm guessing. And I didn't need 9 A's to work that one out.

Wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Let's try and guess what they'll be like tomorrow...it's almost always a girl, they generally struggle to find a fella who got 9As and when they finally do they're not too keen on taking his picture cause he's chinese.

Tomorrow's swot is going to be a pretty white girl,no doubt. Probably called Aoife.
    I was fully sure you were going to be spot on in that assessment, some stunning looking, perfectly groomed 18 year old young woman who went to the Institute of Education on Leeson street for the entire year or else a private school. I was sure it would be a stunner whose Daddy owns his own company and drives a BMW 7-series.

Instead we got the complete opposite, I will NOT be fapping to that picture! :mad:

Fair play to young Rory! Hats off and praise where it's due! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I guarantee most of the people in that photo bullied him mercilessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

So much Hairism ! hairist's the lot of you !
    Gingers ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So he's good at remembering stuff he was told or learned, but not clever enough to get a haircut

intellectually balanced, he is not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So what if they got 9 A1s? Isn't that better than if they were drug addled and banged up for their third babby?

I really hate the way success is dissed on in this country. Begrudgery, jealousy and bitterness is alive and well in this little benighted isle of ours...:(

hi aoife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Where's the assumption that people who score well in the LC are social retards coming from? One of my friends got 8 A1s an she has plenty of friends and is well-liked by everyone. Far from being a social retard, we're just back from a holiday where we spend most of the time partying. Out of all the very smart people in my year, there is only one who I can think of as having few social skills.

This thread absolutely stinks of begrudgery and jealousy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Piste wrote: »
    Where's the assumption that people who score well in the LC are social retards coming from? One of my friends got 8 A1s an she has plenty of friends and is well-liked by everyone. Far from being a social retard, we're just back from a holiday where we spend most of the time partying.

Piste, you do realise that doing calculus equations at Maths camp is not 'partying', right? :D

/edit: I joke, I joke, don't take it all so seriously. As for begrudgery and jealously, believe me, in 10 years time, you won't be arsed about your results. 10 years after my Leaving, I had a degree, PhD and was in the workforce. The Leaving Cert was a dim, distant and very uninteresting memory for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

OneArt wrote: »
    Haha, every time I see one of these people interviewed they always seem to go for medicine.

For once, I'd love to see someone get 570+ and proudly tell the newspapers that they're doing Business in Tallaght IT (only 100 points!). Would make my day so it would!

I know two lads who got 600 points. They always planned on doing Engineering in UCD which is in the low 400's I think. So why did they go for the 600 points? Because they had a wager with each other made at the start of the year to see who could do it. There mates thought that they were cool for making such a bet. The rest of us, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

While we're on the subject, can someone give me a brief rundown of how the Leaving Cert points work?

I did the European Baccalaureate where everything from gym to philosophy is added up and you get an overall percentage to send to universities rather than individual points etc.
    OneArt wrote: »
    Haha, every time I see one of these people interviewed they always seem to go for medicine.

For once, I'd love to see someone get 570+ and proudly tell the newspapers that they're doing Business in Tallaght IT (only 100 points!). Would make my day so it would!

I know a few people who got 580-600 and who ended up doing arts in NUIG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

stovelid wrote: »
    Exactly.

I did well in the leaving and I was by far the coolest guy in school.

In the whole postcode, in fact.

And I'm not ginger.

Back then Stovelid, I would have told you anything. Just so long as my homework got done, we were all cool.

While we're on the subject, can someone give me a brief rundown of how the Leaving Cert points work?

Sure, you take a certain number of subjects, usually 7, sometimes 8, occasionally 9. It almost always includes English, Irish and Maths as most universities require these subjects to do any course (though Trinity will accept any modern language for Irish and Latin for maths).

The grades are marked A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2, C3, D1, D2, D3, E, F, NG (no grade)

Each grade is worth a certain number of points:

A1-100
    A2-90
    B1-85
    B2-80
    B3-75
    C1-70
    C2-65
    C3-60
    D1-55
    D2-50
    D3-45

Your best 6 out of all your grades are added together and the resulting number is your points.

Thanks Piste,

Irish system seems quite strange when taking points from other systems.
    I got 87%, depending on the Irish university, I got somewhere between 522 to 570.

87% is an A2, which is 90 points. If you got an A2 in 6 subjects that'd be 540 points.

Yeah, some universities apparently multiplied 87 by 6 (522), others took my 6 best subjects and based it on that (570)

Meh, I don't know what it is but every year when I see these "6 A1s, 7A1s, 8A1s, 9A1s" stories I do feel a slight bit of jealousy. I think it's the fact that they have done more than seven subjects for the leaving which gets up my nose because it suggests that these people went to privileged schools. I didn't go to a privileged school. We had seven subjects and that's it. No Music. No Latin. No Classics. Hell, they even took Accounting away from the curriculum a few years back because the school didn't have the resources.

My jealousy doesn't stem from how I did in the LC, I think that with 480 points I did pretty well considering the school I went to. :)

A school doesn't have to be "privileged" to do those subjects. My public school offered both music and accounting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oh come on Piste, you're from the Southside. Your school was probably made of solid gold

A school doesn't have to be "privileged" to do those subjects. My public school offered both music and accounting.

Yours probably had better resources than mine so. :)

phasers wrote: »
    Oh come on Piste, you're from the Southside. Your school was probably made of solid gold

Eh platinum plz. Though our corridors were only lined with semi-precious jewels, unlike those snobby private schools with their precious jewels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

My school was a tech in county kildare, yet we've had a few barristers, a cancer research scientist and a chemical engineer who worked for NASA so secondary school, the leaving cert and all that horse shit means nothing, it's what you do with your education that matters, and if you're intelligent in anyway you'll always do well, albeit as a manager of a supermarket to a NASA research scientist.;)

Sure, you take a certain number of subjects, usually 7, sometimes 8, occasionally 9. It almost always includes English, Irish and Maths as most universities require these subjects to do any course (though Trinity will accept any modern language for Irish and Latin for maths).

The grades are marked A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2, C3, D1, D2, D3, E, F, NG (no grade)

Each grade is worth a certain number of points:

A1-100
    A2-90
    B1-85
    B2-80
    B3-75
    C1-70
    C2-65
    C3-60
    D1-55
    D2-50
    D3-45

Your best 6 out of all your grades are added together and the resulting number is your points.

Ofc, those are all honours grades. I think ordinary level subjects start on something like 60 for an a1?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

El Siglo wrote: »
    My school was a tech in county kildare, yet we've had a few barristers, a cancer research scientist and a chemical engineer who worked for NASA so secondary school, the leaving cert and all that horse shit means nothing, it's what you do with your education that matters, and if you're intelligent in anyway you'll always do well, albeit as a manager of a supermarket to a NASA research scientist.;)

Ah the tech. No notions there either. I went to the local tech and it couldn't be beaten for craic. All the characters were there, while all the delicate little flowers went off to Lorettttoe and Meeercy. The lads who needed a beatin' went to boarding school - where undoubtedly they got plenty of them, while they talked over the telephone to parents who loved them so much they sent them away from home as children.

The idea of single sex schools is something from the dark ages, and single sex denominational schools are even worse.

PS: There are some seriously humourless eggheads on this thread.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Ah the tech. No notions there either. I went to the local tech and it couldn't be beaten for craic. All the characters were there, while all the delicate little flowers went off to Lorettttoe and Meeercy. The lads who needed a beatin' went to boarding school - where undoubtedly they got plenty of them, while they talked over the telephone to parents who loved them so much they sent them away from home as children.

The idea of single sex schools is something from the dark ages, and single sex denominational schools are even worse.

PS: There are some seriously humourless eggheads on this thread.
    Hahaha good summation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Meh, I don't know what it is but every year when I see these "6 A1s, 7A1s, 8A1s, 9A1s" stories I do feel a slight bit of jealousy. I think it's the fact that they have done more than seven subjects for the leaving which gets up my nose because it suggests that these people went to privileged schools. I didn't go to a privileged school. We had seven subjects and that's it. No Music. No Latin. No Classics. Hell, they even took Accounting away from the curriculum a few years back because the school didn't have the resources.
    Most people doing more than 7 subjects do the extra ones on their own outside school or on their own. For example, I did 8 subjects, the 8th being Applied Maths, which I did on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I was fully sure you were going to be spot on in that assessment, some stunning looking, perfectly groomed 18 year old young woman who went to the Institute of Education on Leeson street for the entire year or else a private school. I was sure it would be a stunner whose Daddy owns his own company and drives a BMW 7-series.

Instead we got the complete opposite, I will NOT be fapping to that picture! :mad:

Fair play to young Rory! Hats off and praise where it's due! :)

That photograph is terrifying :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

rhapsody! wrote: »
    That photograph is terrifying :O

No, this is waaaaaay worse!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mr.Obvious

I guarantee most of the people in that photo bullied him mercilessly.

Not neccesarily because he's a nerd though, just because bullying is rife in schools and he does kinda look bully-able.

If i was him i would have said "**** off you simpleton, you're not my friend. Carrying me on your shoulders for one photo does not stop from being a dickhead" :D.

Then i would have smoked a dooby in his face and made out with Aoife (who would have happily pretended to be my girlfriend to get in the picture).

The picture in the indo would have been me looking slightly monged with my arms around a smiling Aoife and my rehearsed "slighty pleased nonchalant" look on my face as if i couldn't really give a ****.

People up and down the country would be duped into thinking I am cool, I would probably be used as an example by the high-achievers in this thread and every single last one of you would secretly hate me in the best possible way. You jealous mother****ers :D.

The sad thing in all this is he wont even get birds now,,, last night was his big chance of being recognised and scoring... but the paper only came out today :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I know two lads who got 600 points. They always planned on doing Engineering in UCD which is in the low 400's I think. So why did they go for the 600 points? Because they had a wager with each other made at the start of the year to see who could do it. There mates thought that they were cool for making such a bet. The rest of us, not so much.

Yeah, doing the bare minimum required to get by is da bomb.

Advertisement