Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tomorrow's Irish Independent

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

rois! wrote: »
    like its such a generalisation to assume anyone who does well is a nerd

i studied hard this year but like went out every weekend without fail, played football, won an all-ireland, went for long walks with a friend everyday and followed home and away religously...and i got 600 so like it really pisses me off when people make us all out to be like ugly nerdy geeks

Woah that is seriously impressive!

I mean even I missed a couple of episodes of Home and Away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

u obviously werent as committed to the cause as i was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So what if they got 9 A1s? Isn't that better than if they were drug addled and banged up for their third babby?

I really hate the way success is dissed on in this country. Begrudgery, jealousy and bitterness is alive and well in this little benighted isle of ours...:(

Failure is dissed just as much. Being a drug addled sloshpot pays the bills in this begrudging little island nation of ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

asdasd wrote: »
    Maybe you are not as intelligent?

This would hardly be a problem with hardworking soccer apprentices who dont get to play for United as a pro, would it? People need hard work to succeed but also, talent. Intelligence in exams, ability in soccer.

hardwork only gets so far.

But cheer up, as I said recently, the B students employ the A students.

Your just proving my point, "Maybe you are not as intelligent?"

I could achieve 600 points if I really wanted to, but guess what, my course only requires 400. It's a level 8, honours degree course, just because I don't want to do medicine or architecture, does not mean that I'm less intelligent than anyone else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

The LC points system is heavily biased towards those who are strong at maths. So if you ace maths 500+ should be no bother as you should really ace applied maths physics and chemistry too. Maths was by far my worst subject and was my only Ordinary Level I took out of my 7, so I never had a realistic chance of getting 500 nevermind 6.

It is always going to be much more difficult in acing highly subjective subjects like English and history, because it is alot more than just being right/wrong ala the maths subjects. So I'd take the whole 'your must not be intellignet enough' with a pinch of salt, because it's just about utilising your strengths really. Like you could be a mathematical genius and get over 500 points and not be able to put 2 coherent sentances of Irish/English together on a piece of paper. Likewise you could be very good at languages and not much else and still do very well.

And I'm not bitter, I'm just pointing out a potential flaw of the 'all-round' LC points system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

The LC points system is heavily biased towards those who are strong at maths. So if you ace maths 500+ should be no bother as you should really ace applied maths physics and chemistry too. Maths was by far my worst subject and was my only Ordinary Level I took out of my 7, so I never had a realistic chance of getting 500 nevermind 6.

It is always going to be much more difficult in acing highly subjective subjects like English and history, because it is alot more than just being right/wrong ala the maths subjects. So I'd take the whole 'your must not be intellignet enough' with a pinch of salt, because it's just about utilising your strengths really. Like you could be a mathematical genius and get over 500 points and not be able to put 2 coherent sentances of Irish/English together on a piece of paper. Likewise you could be very good at languages and not much else and still do very well.

And I'm not bitter, I'm just pointing out a potential flaw of the 'all-round' LC points system.

I agree to an extent, but I also did OL Maths and History/English were my best subjects, I got over 500 points. Not boasting, just saying that it can be done!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

rois! wrote: »
    like its such a generalisation to assume anyone who does well is a nerd

i studied hard this year but like went out every weekend without fail, played football, won an all-ireland, went for long walks with a friend everyday and followed home and away religously...and i got 600 so like it really pisses me off when people make us all out to be like ugly nerdy geeks

Winning an All-Ireland in the year of your Leaving is impressive. In fact, so impressive that I have to re-read the above to find the number of points you got. The latter still don't really mean as much to me. Unlike the Leaving, the All Ireland medal will stand to you, your kids and your grandkids for decades.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Acacia wrote: »
    I agree to an extent, but I also did OL Maths and History/English were my best subjects, I got over 500 points. Not boasting, just saying that it can be done!:D

Of course it can be done, but it's more difficult no? Like my brother was a freak at Maths and left his HL physics exam an hour early cos he knew he had got everything right i.e. guaranteed A1 - that's what your up against!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Winning an All-Ireland in the year of your Leaving is impressive. In fact, so impressive that I have to re-read the above to find the number of points you got. The latter still don't really mean as much to me. Unlike the Leaving, the All Ireland medal will stand to you, your kids and your grandkids for decades.

Well done.

omg thank you!! hey thats not even impressive...some of my classmates won 2 all-irelands this year!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Look at ye all with yer high points score!!!
    Well done ye studied away for the 2 years and came out with 550+ pts:eek:
    Where do you go from there?Off to Trinity and work yer little heads off studying medicine or law for another 4/5 years and then get a highly pressure filled job that may pay well but you wont even have time to spend any of it!!!
    My L.C. 2009
    7 SUBJECTS
    4 HIGHER
    3 ORDINARY
    PASSED EVERYTHING!
    275pts :cool:

Planning on becoming a member of An Garda Siochana(once things pick up in a few years:pac:) after I complete my 3 year course in my local I.T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

mufc4lfe wrote: »

Planning on becoming a member of An Garda Siochana(once things pick up in a few years:pac:) after I complete my 3 year course in my local I.T.

Aw man, and I was nearly thinking ya were a sensible lad...

Advertisement