Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brno .223 deluxe

Options
  • 12-08-2009 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello all,only started today and look forward to reading and helping if i can,
    well i have a question if i may,
    i have bought myself a Brno .223 and i would like to know what distance should i target it in at,i was told 100 yards and keep it at 1 1/2 inches high at the point of aim so this would make it bang on at 200 yards,has anyone ever targeted it in at 50 yards and is it bang on at 50 or low or high,
    looking forward to your replys
    James.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

All depends on what you intend to shoot with it and over what distance i.e. targerts/fox/rabbit at 100/150/200yards?

When you establish the average shot distance, zero your scope at that. Anything beyond you'll need to aim higer than the target.

Also worth noting that trajectory will differ from round to round so try a few different types (re-zero between changes) Find the one that suits you and the rifle best and stick with it.

You'll also get to now the trajectory/drops of that round very well and this will help you hit the mark with more accurecy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 James44

thanks for your reply,i intend to use it only for fox,i got a hundred american eagle 55 grain with the rifle and i have shot with these,they seem ok,i have only had a brno .22 up to now but at foxes out over the hundred yards it not much good,so hopefully my .223 will come into its own,
    tell me have you ever shot anything at 50 yards and is she bang on target.
    James.

James44 wrote: »
    thanks for your reply,i intend to use it only for fox,i got a hundred american eagle 55 grain with the rifle and i have shot with these,they seem ok,i have only had a brno .22 up to now but at foxes out over the hundred yards it not much good,so hopefully my .223 will come into its own,
    James.

I'm still on a .22wmr. Didn't venture as far a the .223 yet. If you check out this link below it'll give you some idea of trajectory of federal rounds. Might be some help.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi James44 welcome to the show.

Here's a few points to get you started.

Your CZ lux has a 1 in 12 twist rate. That's how many times the bullet will revolve down the barrel in 12 inches. Your gun is at the top of the bullit weight now so don't use anything more heavy than 55gr. In fact my CZ varmint shoots 40gr Federal V-Shok the best.

Using the 40gr I zero 1" high @100m and that will give me a zero on the nose @200 and I'm only 1" high or low all the way from 50m to 225m which means that I only have to put the cross hair on the kill zone of a fox out to 225m.

Use this target to sight in and zero. Put up at 100m. You aim at the lower red bull but you adjust the sights so that the bullit will group in the upper bull, which is 1" high
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58334980&postcount=5

Take a look through the tips section here.
    [URL=]http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444087[/URL]

Download this program from Hawke scopes and have fun playing with the ballistics. It's free just put in an E-mail address.
    http://www.hawkeoptics.com/brc/index.php

Thanks lads for your replys,i did target my rifle in at 100 yards and i noticed that it was about a inch and a bit below my target at 200 yards,so i will target in again and i will leave it a inch high,
    i have to say that since i got the rifle i have shot two foxes and a couple of bunnies,i was using hollow points 55 grain and i have to say they do some damage[good thing is you dont have to gut what you shoot with these]where with the bobtail you get a clean kill without the mess that the hollow point leaves...

James.

• Advertisement

just another question if i may..
    whats the best prices on bullits ranging from 40 gr to 55 gr here in Ireland..

James.

Try this thread. Not sure if you'll find any .223 on it, but when you buy some of your own post prices here.

well i have rang around and most gun shops only have 55 gr hollow point or bobtail and they all range from 12.50 euro to 15 euro,find it very hard to get 40 gr,
    anyone on here know where i will get 40 gr bullits.

James.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

well james,your like myself
    trekking all over the country to buy decent ammo
    try james mc bride in ballykeeran
    john lambert camolin
    ian in aim and swing ,mountnugent,co.cavan

Stakelums in Thurles is were I buy my ammo. They carry a big selection at good prices.

• Advertisement

well lads i shopped around and the best i could get bullits was for 11 euro a box of 20[55gr]in lucan gun shop in Dublin,other gun shops around the country were up to 15 euro a box for the same bullits,so at the end of the day it pary to shop around,

James.

well lads i shopped around and the best i could get bullits was for 11 euro a box of 20[55gr]in lucan gun shop in Dublin,other gun shops around the country were up to 15 euro a box for the same bullits,so at the end of the day it pary to shop around,

James.

for 11 euro a box of 20[55gr] of what make and type please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

James.

Are these Hollow point or fmj for the €11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Jonty wrote: »
    Are these Hollow point or fmj for the €11?
    probably old ex millsurp fmj stuff I guess.

probably old ex millsurp fmj stuff I guess.

dung in other works!!

dung in other works!!

sounds about right:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

James.

Federal premium V Shok 55 grain are suberbly effective bullets for Fox. They have exactly the same ballistics as the American Eagle 55 grain which are also made by Federal. You can zero and practice with the Eagles and save the V Shok for hunting:D

I'm always amazed at lads that spend top dollar on a rifle and scope rig out and then go and crib about using premium ammo, and wonder why a rifle won't group with crappy Wolf steel case ammo.

+1 for V shoks

I'm always amazed at lads that spend top dollar on a rifle and scope rig out and then go and crib about using premium ammo, and wonder why a rifle won't group with crappy Wolf steel case ammo.

+1 for V shoks

With you on that one jonty.

I see many people at the range with Rem UMC getting 4" or 5" @100 grouping and think that's OK. If I do not get tight groups then I have to ask myself WHY????? And I then do all I can to correct the reason.

Do not except less than SUB MOA at any distance all the time.

I will use American Eagle 50gr HP @€;14.50 a box for cheaper target work and fox shooting and I will still get MOA with these.

Federal 40gr V-Shok @€;28 a box in my CZ 223 varmint will give me what I want 1/2" @100m and I use them for competitions but I get twice the bang from the AE HP for my buck but not the same satisfaction of seeing the small groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Clive, I differ sightly with you there :eek:

I demand absolute accuracy when hunting and will only use premium ammo as I want to guarantee as much as is possible that the bullet will go exactly when I aim.

Targets don't suffer pain, animals do :o

• Advertisement

Clive, I differ sightly with you there :eek:

I demand absolute accuracy when hunting and will only use premium ammo as I want to guarantee as much as is possible that the bullet will go exactly when I aim.

Targets don't suffer pain, animals do :o

Again BS your correct on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

+1 for V shoks
    +1 squazillion!

I've long since given up using anything but high quality ammunition for anything that requires consistency and accuracy (both target shooting and hunting).
    That includes informal target practice for myself or anyone else (who knows what they're at) I'm giving a few shots to.

I'll always have a few boxes of cheapo stuff knocking around for demonstration purposes or for shooting steel gongs or water bottles (plastic) or the like, but I have no interest whatsoever in adding inconsistant/unpredictable ammunition to the mix when I'm looking to do something with as much precision as I can muster.

yes lads the American eagle 55gr fmj boat-tail are 11 euro a box of 20 and the American eagle 50 gr flat base hollow point are 12 euro a box of 20.

James.

yes lads the American eagle 55gr fmj boat-tail are 11 euro a box of 20 and the American eagle 50 gr flat base hollow point are 12 euro a box of 20.

James.

James, despite what people think FMJs are not suitable for hunting

James, despite what people think FMJs are not suitable for hunting
    `
    I seen a fox shot with fmj bullet about 2 years back, the fox took off and started to do laps of the field round and round like a greyhound, the lad was saying" i deinitley hit him"..after several laps the fox rolled over and lay panting till he eventually succumb to the knitting needle like wound track he had running through him..they are not a good idea for hunting after all we are trying for an instant kill!-were not trying to use up 2 other foxes to carry him away whilst waiting on a chinook to lift him out and fly him to the nearest medical facility,thereby using up valuable resources in the field:rolleyes::D:D

well i have to say i targeted in my .223 earlier on these fmj,s and then i headed off for a shot just to see if it was on target,i sat in a place where there holds a odd fox and i sat and waited and waited and then mr charlie showed up but stayed out about 180 yards,so i took aim for a heart shot and dropped him dead,the bullit went straight through him,so my rifle is bang on,so i dont think those foxes will know weather its a 55 gr fmj or a 50gr boat-tail.

James.

well i have to say i targeted in my .223 earlier on these fmj,s and then i headed off for a shot just to see if it was on target,i sat in a place where there holds a odd fox and i sat and waited and waited and then mr charlie showed up but stayed out about 180 yards,so i took aim for a heart shot and dropped him dead,the bullit went straight through him,so my rifle is bang on,so i dont think those foxes will know weather its a 55 gr fmj or a 50gr boat-tail.

James.

Well i beg to differ:rolleyes:- the flavour of your argument shows a complete lack of knowledge about the correct bullet to be used in hunting live animals, anyone who brags about shooting animals with full metal jacketted ammo
    hasnt a clue about hunting in the first instance-good lord man go do some reading up on the subject:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

then i headed off for a shot just to see if it was on target,
    And if it wasn't ?

Were you planning to apologise to the fox for causing it undue fear and pain for however long it took to die from blood loss, shock etc.?

You owe it to your quarry to ensure it's killed quickly and painlessly and saving 20 cent a round is not a valid excuse in the circumstances.

rrpc wrote: »
    And if it wasn't ?

Were you planning to apologise to the fox for causing it undue fear and pain for however long it took to die from blood loss, shock etc.?

You owe it to your quarry to ensure it's killed quickly and painlessly and saving 20 cent a round is not a valid excuse in the circumstances.

Bull****,i am starting to think most of you on here are armchair hunters,if the truth be known most of you were never in a field,so put that that up your arse and blow it out,

• Advertisement

James.

James
    I think FMJ are used in warfare on humans not to kill but to mame people and thats why the .223 round is known as the american military bullet.
    The same will apply when used on amimals in that the FMJ will pass through and not expand and give the humain kill that hunters want.

If you use a HP, hollow point or BS, balistic tip, type of bullet then these are designed to expand and open up the bullet tract and kill. You can buy Federal HP 50gr @€;13-€14 a box for hunting and use the FMJ just for shooting paper or tin cans.

And people give the guy a break he's just starting out and is looking for tips and ways to hunt proper like just the way you all do. :rolleyes:

Advertisement