If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best prices for 42PFL8404/9664

• 12-08-2009 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi chaps,

I've been persuaded (or have persuaded myself!) to go for a Philips set over one of the Sony sets I originally had my heart set on.

Assuming you have them in stock, what's the best Boardies price you can do for either of the 42PFL8404 or the 42PFL9664 with a suitable HDMI cable? I think the 8404 is the most likely contender, but could be tempted by the 9664 if the price is right.

I'd ideally like to be able to pick something up this weekend so I can return the the awful 14" CRT telly I borrowed from a friend after I moved into my new place. I'm ready to bask in some HD glory :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,469 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

bigyin wrote: »
    Hi chaps,

I've been persuaded (or have persuaded myself!) to go for a Philips set over one of the Sony sets I originally had my heart set on.

Assuming you have them in stock, what's the best Boardies price you can do for either of the 42PFL8404 or the 42PFL9664 with a suitable HDMI cable? I think the 8404 is the most likely contender, but could be tempted by the 9664 if the price is right.

I'd ideally like to be able to pick something up this weekend so I can return the the awful 14" CRT telly I borrowed from a friend after I moved into my new place. I'm ready to bask in some HD glory :)

Thanks!

Big,

I'm not sure you could take the shock of changing from a 14" CRT to a 42" 9664......

PM sent and thanks for the opportunity to quote!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10 knackee

John, could you PM me with your best price for a 42" 9664. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RGMR2

Me too! Me too! Very interested in the 8404. Might stretch to the 9664 depending...

Will be in Dublin Monday or Tuesday? Are these beasts in stock?

Thanks John.

knackee wrote: »
    John, could you PM me with your best price for a 42" 9664. Thanks

Knackee,

Done - thanks for the opp to quote - much appreciated.

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

RGMR2 wrote: »
    Me too! Me too! Very interested in the 8404. Might stretch to the 9664 depending...

Will be in Dublin Monday or Tuesday? Are these beasts in stock?

Thanks John.

RGMR2,

Again thx for the opp to quote - Ok

Have you seen the full spec of the TV's? If not have a look here:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl8404h_12/42pfl8404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl9664h_12/42pfl9664h_12_pss_eng.pdf

PM gone!

Thanks again and do keep me posted if we can assist in any way.

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Just bought a 9664... do yourself a favour, get one. Its a serious tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Put my deposit on a 9664 yesterday!!
    After owning a 32pf9830 for a few years now, it's time to upgrade to a bigger TV.
    Mind you, there's nothing wrong with my current one, just moving apartments and thought it was the right time to upgrade!.
    Seriously, I've only ever bought philips TVs (and only from the Philips Store).
    AWESOME tvs... Pixel Plus (or perfect, or percise or whatever they are at now) is AMAZING...
    and if you've not experienced Ambilight before, you're in for a treat.
    I, personally, would never buy a tv without it again!

One thing to note thought, make sure you've got the latest software on the TV (yes, TV's now need to have their software upgraded, it's easily done and usually brings alot of improvements)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RGMR2

John, could you pm me the costs for the 37" version of the 8404 & 9664? TV going into an alcove and will only have 150mm either side of the 42". Think that the ambilight effect might be reduced ..... Please let me know if you have these in stock.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi RGMR2

If you haven't recieved a pm from John let me know (he's been up and down to Richer Belfast every day this week so is playing catch up - with Boards and sleep probably!!)
    I'll pm you the prices if he hasn't had a chance to quoted you yet.....

Belmulletman brings up a good point - iits always worthwhile checking the Philips website to see it there is any new firmware updates for your TV (DVD player, DVD recorder, Blu-ray player, camera, camcorder etc etc!!)

Usually the update improves the operation of the set or updates different features etc. It is painless to update as well and only takes a few moments.

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Solyad wrote: »
    Just bought a 9664... do yourself a favour, get one. Its a serious tv.

+1, Really loving mine.

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote: »
    +1, Really loving mine.

Guys,

Now you know you have made the right choice!

The 42PFL9664 that we were finally able to deliver for some lucky Customers over the last few weeks has just scooped the What Hi-fi Supertest for top-end 40-42" TV's in the latest October issue - it was up against the cream of the cream in TVland including:

Sony KDL40S5500
    Sony KDL40Z5500
    Panasonic TXP42S10
    Samsung UE40B8000
    LG 42LH5000
    Toshiba 42XV635D

It was reviewed at £1700 (we sell it it W A Y Cheaper than that!) - it gets a completely stunning 5 star review and basically slaughters all the competition here is the final paragraph:

"Finally, as if picture supremacy wasn't enough, the Philips rounds-off it's performance with audio that's got decent bass weight and definition, clear vocals and surprisingly good rythmic precision - mighty impressive by flatscreen standards. In short, the Philips is the best TV here and genuinely one of the most exciting sets we've seen in years"

Well done - and hopefully you are all enjoying them and are now completely smug!

Thanks again,

ATB

John Mc, Ash & Crew

hey John

I'd say these guys know they've made the right choice just buy watching their TV's:D
    Still good to see that backed up eh
    Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Hi guys great forum here.......can i get boardies prices for these two, and can you explain exactly what is the difference between the two apart from 200hz. will these be ok for new dtt, when if ever it arrives. i gather it will
    Anyone any views on if this is better than the Panasonic G10 many thanks in advance
    Skippy2

Hi Skippy2

Both are excellent TV's choices and look fantastic when fed HD sources (do a great job with SD sources as well I must say)

The 9 Series is the peak of Philips TV tech.
    It features the latest and most powerful image processing in the form of Perfect Pixel HD partnered with Prefect Natural Motion image processing.
    200Hz refresh rate and a 1ms response time (comp'd to 3ms on the 8 series) more HDMI inputs and Wireless Net TV functions.

It will squeze the absolute best out of you video devices.

Here is the spec for both sets to give you an idea.

www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl9664h_12/42pfl9664h_12_pss_eng.pdf

www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl8404h_12/42pfl8404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

But please call on in as we'd be happy to take you through both sets.
    Spec doesnt tell the whole story - the image does!

I'll pm you prices

Thanks for the question
    Ash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Hi Ash
    Thanks for that still waiting on the PM on prices when you get a minute but sounds like you guys are busy. What is delivery time on the 8404 and 9664 if ordering
    Skippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Can I get a price on a 42" 9664 as well please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Dead Jealous of you guys at the 9664, if only my budget could stretch :(

8404 will have to do :D

Hi Guys

Pm's all sent re pricing.

TouchingVirus, You'll love your 8404's!

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 16 yahowho

Hi Ash/John
    My old grundig packed in yesterday so looking to get a new tv.
    I have narrowed it down to the four below.
    Can you pm me a quote for the following and estimated delivery times.
    37" 8404
    42" 8404
    47" 8404
    42" 9664
    + hdmi cable and delivery to mayo.
    thanks.

Hi Yahowho

Nice screen size range there:)

In brief
    37" 8404 €809.99 with 4yr warranty
    42" 8404 €899.99 with 4yr warranty
    47" 8404 €1349.99 with 4yr warranty
    42" 9664 pm'd

HDMI Cables from €19.99 fro standard and €49.99 for good quality gold range version

Delivery on TV's to Mayo Approx €35

If I can provide any informatio give me a bell on 01 474 0788
    All excellent TV's though as you'll see from the other Boardies who have them at home.

Cheers
    Ash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 dermot01G

Ash,

Could you PM me your price for a 42pfl9664?
    Also what are the spec differences between this and a 42pfl9603?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dermot01G

Ash,
    Thanks for the reply and quote,

Sounds like a good deal and will call into the shop.

Hi Yahowho

Nice screen size range there:)

In brief
    37" 8404 €809.99 with 4yr warranty
    42" 8404 €899.99 with 4yr warranty
    47" 8404 €1349.99 with 4yr warranty
    42" 9664 pm'd

HDMI Cables from €19.99 fro standard and €49.99 for good quality gold range version

Delivery on TV's to Mayo Approx €35

If I can provide any informatio give me a bell on 01 474 0788
    All excellent TV's though as you'll see from the other Boardies who have them at home.

Cheers
    Ash

Guys,

just to clarify the prices above were after your Boardies 10% Philips Shop discount!

Thanks as ever,

John Mc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Hi,

What is the latest price on the 42" 9664 + delivery to Cork City?

Thanks in advance.
    Dave.

Hi,

What is the latest price on the 42" 9664 + delivery to Cork City?

Thanks in advance.
    Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for the post - 42PFL9664 (what an A M A Z I N G TV!)

Normal price is €1799.99 however as a Boardie we can offer you a Philips Shop Boardies 10% discount so the price comes out at €1619.99 and that includes a 5 year warranty!

Delivery to The People's Republic would be an additional €29.99.

As ever of course we are happy to beat any comparable cheaper price - from anyone in Ireland!

Thanks again for the post and keep me posted if we can assist in any way.

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Hi lads,

Looks like I'll be heading up to Belfast on a shopping trip in the next week or so. Just wondering if you have many 42PFL9664's in stock at the mo?

Was thinking of buying in-store in sterling but getting it shipped down to Cork cause I don't have a car. Don't fancy carrying a 42" TV on the train:)

Regards,
    Dave.

Hi lads,

Looks like I'll be heading up to Belfast on a shopping trip in the next week or so. Just wondering if you have many 42PFL9664's in stock at the mo?

Was thinking of buying in-store in sterling but getting it shipped down to Cork cause I don't have a car. Don't fancy carrying a 42" TV on the train:)

Regards,
    Dave.

Dave,

Why don't you collect in The Philips Shop - much easier?

We can do it, including your Boardie Philips Shop 10% discount at just €1619.99 including the 5 year warranty - the UK price is £1499.95 which is roughly €1659 and that price does not include the 5 year warranty!

The 42PFL9664 is really tight on stock - however if you would like one I'm sure we can get you one at pretty short notice - drop us a line if we can assist.

Oh and by the way I should have pretty positive news on the 42PFL9664 late tonight / tomorrow morning!

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chalky024

You old devil John;)
    You attended the What Hi-Fi awards a few weeks ago didn't you? An exclusive for Boardsies is it?

chalky024 wrote: »
    You old devil John;)
    You attended the What Hi-Fi awards a few weeks ago didn't you? An exclusive for Boardsies is it?

:o

..mmmm you never know - Maybe (why is there no smilie with devilish horns?)

Chat later!

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Why wait? A UK competitor has had the list up since the weekend... And the general public got a preview at the Manchester Show

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.