Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering joining Three. Q's about Skype and data.

• 12-08-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

So Three give free Skype? I'm not really very clued up on what exactly Skype is other than that it allows the user to call other skype users over the internet.

Am I right in thinking that this is effectively offering free 3 to 3 calls? Without even having to top up?

And if so, what is the call/connection quality like? i.e. is it the same as making a phone call on the network?

I find myself in the position of possibly rejoining 3, (never thought I'd say that!) because their 1G data add on is looking very attractive. The 99c/50MB per day on (other networks) is very unattractive.

Also, if I were to check my e-mail 3-5 times a day, regularly check a few news sites like skysports and rte.ie every day, and other little things like check cinema listings or using google, would I stay within 1GB in 30 days of such usage? I wouldn't be downloading anything like music tracks or games, just browsing. (I take it that you are able to check remaining data on the My3 thing?)

And lastly, customer care issues aside and baring in mind that I'll probably never ring customer care anyway, how good are 3 as a network? Reliable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

jordainius wrote: »
    Also, if I were to check my e-mail 3-5 times a day, regularly check a few news sites like skysports and rte.ie every day, and other little things like check cinema listings or using google, would I stay within 1GB in 30 days of such usage? I wouldn't be downloading anything like music tracks or games, just browsing. (I take it that you are able to check remaining data on the My3 thing?)

definitely. i'd say you wouldn't use 100mb. really at the end of every month you should seed a torrent to use up the remaining bandwidth, just ya know so it doesn't go to waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Dankoozy wrote: »
    really at the end of every month you should seed a torrent to use up the remaining bandwidth, just ya know so it doesn't go to waste

yes everyone should do this to guarantee a speedy service for us all! arf.

seriously tho, I am considering the switch to 3 too for this exact data plan add on and while I wouldn't use 1gig a month either, I think its still a good deal. The only thing I need to consider is whether the speed is good and I don't know if it is. anyone?

skype to skype is not only 3 to 3 calls but to any other network where someone is running skype. Not a particularly usual scenario me thinks. The call quality again will relate to how 3's network is in general and I'd like to know that too before switching!

anyway, if you use the net every day anyway, 3's data package add on is certainly preferable to €1 a day for the others :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

im with three 2 years now before that i was with VF since 1997 both private &work nbrs.

the reason i switched to three was my VF bill was an average 130 a month even using vf live to check my remaining mins it was allways out by 200 mins.

since switching to three my bill is around 86 a month thats for 750 min tarrif the skype quality is good when your in 3g area and saves me a fortune on calls and texts.

i normally talk to a few mates one in the usa the other two in the uk and really cant get over how good the line is there is a fare use allowance of 4000 mins per month and i use a crappy n73

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

The skype call quality is surprisingly good. IIRC 3 route the call over the network instead of it being a data call (if that makes any sense), so the call quality is the same as a normal call. From what you say about your internet usage you wont in near the limit. Speeds are fine (I stream YouTube, view boards, check cinema, emails all through my phone and have never gone over the limit). You can check your credit balance, remaining mins, and add on through My3 on the phone. I think the add on balance is real time so you should always get an accurate balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

I use 3 for last year,
    Skype is great - not just 3 to 3 calls but to people on line on skype, also calling abroad is at skype rate eg landline UK 2c/min Mobile 18c/m.
    I find it reliable and OK value. Obviousely on PAYG they are dearer than Meteor for mobile calls, but with the Crundy skype workaround savings can be made!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement