Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10GB cap on BT's 24Mb service

Options
  • 12-08-2009 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

BT are advertising 24Mb for the price of 1Mb for the first six months but it is still only a 10GB cap, does anybody know if they are enforcing these caps. A 10GB cap on 24Mb connection seems a bit pointless?

I'm not excessive with my cap usage like some on boards.ie but I do find myself using 20GB-30GB/month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

I don't know if they're enforcing it - the actual upgrade to 24Mbps unlimited is pretty small (ish) so go with it and if they start charging you could upgrade.

The 24Mbps is only available in their unbundled exchanges so you need to check you can get the full thing and not the fall back 7.6Mbps service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

in fairness they are only letting you try the speed and not the actual package, if you want the full cap you need to pay for the full package.
    With vodafone giving 40gb limit on their basic package of 3mb, wonder what will happen when bt customers transfer over

• Registered Users Posts: 26,393 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So its not 10gb if you pay up after the 6 months? What is it do you know?

At the end of the 6 months your speed reduces to 1Mbps. You hae the option at anytime to upgrade to their full 24Mbps package.
    Again its only where they have unbundled the exchanges (22 of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,393 ✭✭✭✭noodler

At the end of the 6 months your speed reduces to 1Mbps. You hae the option at anytime to upgrade to their full 24Mbps package.
    Again its only where they have unbundled the exchanges (22 of them)

I'm sorry, what I meant was what will your D/L allowance be if you fully upgrade?

We only have 3mb at the moment but out allowance is around 25gb. I would rather upgrade fully straight away rather than face a reduction in my d/l allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

noodler wrote: »
    I'm sorry, what I meant was what will your D/L allowance be if you fully upgrade?

We only have 3mb at the moment but out allowance is around 25gb. I would rather upgrade fully straight away rather than face a reduction in my d/l allowance.

Reports vary but I believe it's ~100gb a month.

If you take their top package its unlimited.

http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_totaltalk.shtml

I don't know how strict they are on their download allowances - based on a lot of other threads about BT billing I'm not even sure they could bill this accurately but assume if you go over the limit you could find a nasty suprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i went over my limit in June and nothing appeared on my bill nor did i get throttled

Advertisement