Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few questions about Cadetships

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

Acuity. Missed one symbol on the last line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Disco84 wrote: »
    oh right, thats grand so. anyone know what comes first, push ups or sit ups and are they back to back or with a min or so between?

All groups pushups, then all groups situps, then all taken out for run. There's a few minutes break between pushups and situps while you're waiting for your group to be called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

If you failed for general entry to RDF it means you are below grade 3. You need to be a Grade 1 for a cadetship or Grade 3 minimum for general entry to PDF. For Gardai, enquire on the Emergency Services forum. I would recommend an eye test with an optician to confirm. Bring in the requirements and ask if you meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Disco84

The fitness test took the following format:
    firstly your bmi was calculated by taking your height and weight. this is done with a standard formula. im not sure what it is off hand but its easily found on the net anyway.
    Next, about ten minutes warming up by jogging/skipping and streching in a circle as a group around the gym getting the orders off a PT instructer.
    Then groups of 16 did their 20 push ups on the mats, your were shown how to do them first and allowed a couple of practise ones to gain technique. you then waited for the entire group to do their push ups before you attempted sit ups. this allowed you at least 5 minutes of rest between the excercises. each person had a pt instructor at the end of the mat counting off your reps. you were stopped when you reached 20.
    Next was the run. everyone was bussed from the gym to the road to be run and bussed back. 2400m total, 1200m out, turn around and run back in.

Weight in kg divided by(height in metres squared)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

A handy BMI convertor for you.

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

2400m total, 1200m out, turn around and run back in.

Was there equal ascent descent or more of one on the way out? Not that it makes that much of a difference, just interested

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

Craigsy-ye it was equal, we started near the engineering block and made our way downhill, out the gap into the open ground by about a quarter of a mile where one of the PT instructors parked his car, you called off your number to him and turned and back the exact way you came

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭FV-Emperor

I just got Invited to the next round of the naval competition. Strange, I wonder why it was so late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

FV-Emperor wrote: »
    I just got Invited to the next round of the naval competition. Strange, I wonder why it was so late.

congrats-mine was quite late too. I've had to pull out of the competition though, so good luck with the rest of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

Just got word this evening,im through to the final interview,am absolutely delighted,i did my test tuesday. Best of luck everyone else!

Just got word this evening,im through to the final interview,am absolutely delighted,i did my test tuesday. Best of luck everyone else!
    Same here, got the email about the interview. Did test on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Lads best of luck to everyone who got through to the final interview. Especially the lads I know from the other website.

Did it Tuesday, got word i'm through a little while ago. Best of luck anyone waiting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Bloody good work folks, best of luck with the interview.

Keep it up and you'll be getting beasted in the Cadet School before ya know it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Just got home from the Curragh yesterday and got the email this evening - fast weren't they! Was very interesting to finally see the place, here's hoping we all see it again after the interviews :)

Oh and to those of you that make it to the School, I've got a suprise for you.

:pac:

Is there anyone who got into the interviews fpr the Navy and the army cadets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Poccington wrote: »

Your buying all the beers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm hoping that these new cadets will become regulars on the Military Forum.

I don't believe we have any PDF officers on it (open for correction) and some diversity would be awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

That bag of cans you promised earlier in the thread :D:D:D?

Is there anyone else who got into the first round interviews for the Navy and the army cadets?

neilled wrote: »
    A bag of cans :D:D:D?

Jesus no.

Something far more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Jesus no.

Something far more fun.

I get the sneaking suspicion this will involve pain..............and possibly your administration thereof :pac::pac::pac:

neilled wrote: »
    I get the sneaking suspicion this will involve pain..............and possibly your administration thereof :pac::pac::pac:

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement

No pain from me anyway, I'm not in the relevant rank for that.

Now, pain from a friend or two of mine... Perhaps. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

you-gonna-get-raped.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 seaslug

The fitness test took the following format:
    firstly your bmi was calculated by taking your height and weight. this is done with a standard formula. im not sure what it is off hand but its easily found on the net anyway.

What BMI limits do you have to be within? The normal range is between 18.5 and 25. I'm within that range (23 or 24 as far as I remember), but I'm not the tallest person in the world so a small fluctuation in weight could easily push me up to 25ish.

If someone has a BMI of 25 or 26 does that mean they automatically fail the fitness test? BMI isn't always a reliable indicator of someone's general fitness. For instance at the start of the All-Ireland final RTÉ displayed stats on all the players with their weights and heights. I calculated the BMI of some of the Kerry players, and a lot of them had BMIs in the mid 30s! According to the BMI chart that makes them obese!!

I sincerely doubt the Kerry players would be too unfit for military service, so does anybody on here know what the Defence Forces do with people with BMIs over the normal limit of 25?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

The DF are happy with up to 30 as far as I know, a lot of soldiers would be up near the higher end of the scale anyway because of muscle mass. Above 30 they do skinfold measurements with callipers.

I don't believe we have any PDF officers on it (open for correction) and some diversity would be awesome.

Wellll..........

They won't out themselves, but I do have it on good authority that there are Officer boardsies who pop in from time to time..........

And no, I'm not one. BMI of 30.1. Not proud of it, but not in a position to change it......I just put it down to being short....

• Advertisement

pmg58 wrote: »
    The DF are happy with up to 30 as far as I know, a lot of soldiers would be up near the higher end of the scale anyway because of muscle mass. Above 30 they do skinfold measurements with callipers.

That's what they use for Annual Fitness Tests but I reckon they use the same for entry as I haven't seen anything to the contrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

concussion wrote: »
    That's what they use for Annual Fitness Tests but I reckon they use the same for entry as I haven't seen anything to the contrary.

You're right, they do.

So how did everyone get on with the interviews?

Mine isnt till next week, they're running till the end of month so i wouldnt say too many people have them done yet. I'd say it'l be tough though!

I had mine last week, it just really follows the template that they talked about for the competency-based interview. It's a bit intimidating alright facing 5 people, but it wasn't *that* bad in the end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Did they ask "Why do you want to be an ossifer?"

NTM

I had mine last week too - seemed to go grand, but it's really hard to know! A good few questions on leadership and dealing with troublesome people (came up a lot out of my last job). Was slightly, but not overly intimidating facing the panel - there's five but they do talk one at a time! Anyway best of luck to anyone who has it coming up :)
    Did they ask "Why do you want to be an ossifer?"

NTM
    No they didn't actually - I thought they would at the end, but they probably just wanted to get rid of me at that stage!

Can any of you guys give me an idea of how long the interview lasts for?

It was probably about 50 minutes long for me.

It was probably about 50 minutes long for me.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Can any of you guys give me an idea of how long the interview lasts for?

Civil Service standard is 8 minutes spent on each competency. Add to that an explanation of the competency system, as well as any other business.

so i suppose it'll be between 45 to 50 so.Thanks for that. do they ask for 2 or 3 examples for each and how many must you expand on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 d49ma

Does anyone know if the navy interviews are still going on this week?

Folks, I'd appreciate if everyone decided not to post up any of the questions asked etc.

I know nobody has done it as of yet but just a heads up, it is a competition after all.

Did that interview last wednsday, wasnt as bad as i thought it'd be in the end actually. How does everyone else think it went? Waiting a couple of weeks is a pain tho isnt it? Thank god I was halfway through and not one of the first to be interviewed or id be cracking waiting for the result!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Thors Hammer

Just saw this thread now. Also had an interview last week. I felt it went well, board were generally friendly. I did feel that while I was discussing certain competencies the board did interupt asking questions and it broke the flow of what I was saying. It wasnt a big deal but was just wondering if any others experienced this?ps best of luck to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭CK1Champ

I had my interview for the navy 2weeks ago...does anyone know when they will be letting you know if you are successful or not and when you will be looking at starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 melvo_zidane

MickJB1989 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I'm seriously considering applying for a Cadetship, not this year, as I have one year left to go at uni, I'm aiming for 2010 entrance, hopefully they'll be running another competition this time next year!

Anyway, I figure this gives me a year to clear up any issues with my qualifications (and get the old fitness level up to scratch ;)), and I was wondering if some of you guys could answer some questions for me.

1. As I'll hopefully have an honours degree in law by the time I apply, this year's competition guidelines say I only need Maths and English (or Irish), plus any four other subjects to be considered for entry. The only problem is, as I've been educated in Scotland, I have 5 Scottish Highers (Maths, English, History, Chemistry, Modern Studies), rather than the 6 Highers of an Irish Leaving Cert. Will this be a problem for my application?

2. The 2009 Competition Booklet says that candidates will be subject to additional medical examinations and testing, after the fitness/ flexibility/ hearing tests, but doesn't really go into detail as to what these will entail. Any ideas what I'll be put through, so I can see about making sure I'll meet all requirements?

Cheers,

Mick
    Ok, well if you're thinking of continuing your law degree I'd seriously recommend it, as the defence forces will NOT pay for you to complete your final year of law as it bears no relevancy to the line of work you intend on entering.

If you do complete your degree by the opening date for the cadetships next year(assuming there will will be a competition) that will most likely be taken insted of your second level education, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The entry standard for the Army line officer, Naval officer and Air corps officer differ.
    For the Line officer you'll need at least 6/18 vision in each eye, corrected to 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in the other. Air corps you'll need at least 6/9 uncorrected vision in each eye. Naval officer, uncorrected to 6/9 in one eye and 6/12 in the other.

Hearing test, you'll have to be able to hear up to 8kHtz at 20dB in each ear.(All cadetships)

The other tests that you'll need to do after the medical and physical and psycometric tests are; a group assessment where you'll work as a group with at least 3 others to come to a conclusion on a set task. The other test will be a personality questionaire(not so much a test, but it gives the interview board an idea of what they're dealing with if you get through to the interview stages).

And thats about it Mick,

Go n-éirí leat,

Melvo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 melvo_zidane

Yea, you should be finding out sometime this week if you were successful. I'm waiting to mate, I know what it's like!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭CK1Champ

I'm watching the post and my emails like a hawk!!if anyone has been told if they are successful they might post??

Advertisement