Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England are going to win the world cup (Mod Warrning @ post 42)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think they have as good a chance as anyone this time. Capello is a bloody good manager.

That being said, they have a piss easy group so have not really been tested yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

They should do what the Irish do !!

Go in with a losing attitude and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I dunno they're performing really well these days under Capello. Very tight unit altogether.

Dare I bet on our neighbours to win it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So the thoughts of John Terry are to be taken as gospel?

Oh no, silly me. Its just another chance to bash the english on a soccer thread.

I'm looking forwards to next summer/winter already :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Nah they wont, they'll bottle it again as usual.

I couldnt think of anything worse if they ever did. we'd never hear the end of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think they've a great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Thread title is misleading. Nowhere does the article say that England will win the World Cup.

I reckon they can make the semi's under Capello - probably go out to Spain or Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nah they wont, they'll bottle it again as usual.

I couldnt think of anything worse if they ever did. we'd never hear the end of it!

In order to bottle something, there must be reasonable expectations to succeed in the first place.

Are you saying that you believe that England have enough quality to expect to win the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I do think its possible, personally I think Spain and England have the best chance from Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

England won't win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ADTR wrote: »
    England won't win it.

Who will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would like to see england do well in the world cup and i honestly think they have a good chance. If they get a fit and scoring for fun
    M. Owen back they'll go far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

gimmick wrote: »
    I think they have as good a chance as anyone this time. Capello is a bloody good manager.

That being said, they have a piss easy group so have not really been tested yet.
    Capello was a top class club manager and if he could transfer that ability to international football then England do have a chance to win the world cup.

I Presume it will be hot in South Africa next year and that with the English football teams ability to blow it may make it a bit difficult for them to win it.

I doubt if the english fans will be much of a problem in South Africa but who knows.

I suspect that FIFA and UEFA have been relieved when England have been knocked out of tournaments in the past.

Referees and linespeople that made decisions that helped ease England out of tournaments in the past may not have been that unpopular with either FIFA or UEFA. If that has ever been the case it may take a while to get some of these unfortunate decisions(;)) out of the psyche of officials.

In order to bottle something, there must be reasonable expectations to succeed in the first place.

Are you saying that you believe that England have enough quality to expect to win the World Cup?

If you go to the spot to take a penalty there's a chance you'll score or you'll bottle it and you wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I know they have Ashley Young and all but it is a little far fetched to think that he will carry them all the way to the final.
    Maybe just the quarters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

They will do a lot better this time provided they have a full fit squad and their big players (Ferdinand, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott) continue their form from last season. Capello is a top manager and will keep them grounded. They should be aiming for a semi final and anything could happen in that.

Vokes wrote: »
    Thread title is misleading. Nowhere does the article say that England will win the World Cup.

I reckon they can make the semi's under Capello - probably go out to Spain or Brazil.

There's always a nitpicker!!!
    It does however say 'We can't rule England out from winning the World Cup'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Headshot wrote: »

Ah young Master Owen is now going to win for Utd er England eh? ;)
    blinding wrote: »
    I Presume it will be hot in South Africa next year and that with the English football teams ability to blow it may make it a bit difficult for them to win it.

Well anyone who watched the Confed cup will have seen how chilly it was once the sun set so if anything the location should be a help, might even get some nice windy drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

blinding wrote: »
    Capello was a top class club manager and if he could transfer that ability to international football then England do have a chance to win the world cup.

I doubt if the english fans will be much of a problem in South Africa but who knows.

I suspect that FIFA and UEFA have been relieved when England have been knocked out of tournaments in the past.

Referees and linespeople that made decisions that helped ease England out of tournaments in the past may not have been that unpopular with either FIFA or UEFA. If that has ever been the case it may take a while to get some of these unfortunate decisions(;)) out of the psyche of officials.
    Winter in South Africa (May to July) is characterised in the higher-lying areas of the interior plateau by dry, sunny, crisp days and cold nights. So it's a good idea to bring warm clothes.

The hot, humid KwaZulu-Natal coast, as well as the Lowveld (lower-lying areas) of Mpumalanga and Limpopo provinces, offer fantastic winter weather with sunny, warmish days and virtually no wind or rain.

The Western Cape gets most of its rain in winter, with quite a few days of cloudy, rainy weather. However, these are always interspersed with wonderful days to rival the best of a British summer.

The high mountains of the Cape and the Drakensberg in KwaZulu-Natal usually get snow in winter.
    Maximum temperature in June in SA varies around the 18-24 deg C mark. Should suit the likes of us Northern European sides.

I would like to see england do well in the world cup and i honestly think they have a good chance. If they get a fit and scoring for fun

Headshot, tell me you're messing?

Owen is now the key to Englands success on the pitch?

what has changed since last year, when he was ridiculed by most & couldn't get in the squad.....hmmmmm...let me think....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I think this is England's best chance to win it in a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I like their kit.

Mr Alan wrote: »

what has changed since last year, when he was ridiculed by most & couldn't get in the squad.....hmmmmm...let me think....

Now that he's in a man utd shirt, he's the key to all success. If he joined Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal I can't see United fans saying what they are since he joined them.

Because If Fergie thinks Owen is gonna be great then everyone else agrees
    50 bet he's injured for the world cup :pac::pac:

If he joined Liverpool, United fans would have mocked the idea of it, as they did when it was broached at numerous times over the last couple of seasons. Its comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

England think they can win it. They always do. Quality rarely comes into it.
    Which is why they get so much stick about how they perceive themselves in any sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think England have a great chance at winning this time round. Probably best defence in the world providing Johnson continues to improve, on paper a stunningly good midfield, in Rooney they have a great forward who could develop into the one they need without Ronaldo this year at Man Utd. The only question mark is in goal. No excellent keeper but alot of average ones. James, Green, Robinson. Also, along with Lippi they have one of the undoubtably best managers in the National game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Now that he's in a man utd shirt, he's the key to all success. If he joined Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal I can't see United fans saying what they are since he joined them.

Yeah because he would've joined Hull or Stoke, not one of the biggest teams in the world and if fit, would probably score a fair for them like he did for Newcastle.

with regards the thread, I think England could beat Spain who are vastly overrated and Brazil. However, I just have a feeling that if the current Argentina team click they will be unstoppable. Big if though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If he joined Liverpool, United fans would have mocked the idea of it, as they did when it was broached at numerous times over the last couple of seasons. Its comical.

It's OK Al, Anthony Le Tallec (better than Ronaldo supposedly) is going to come back and singlehandedly win the league for you. He might bring Bruno Cheyrou and that Gonzalez bloke who was supposed to be a world class winger too...

• Advertisement

how did u say he was key to england,what i said is they'll go far,that's a tad different then saying he's key

ffs alan next time read my posts properly and heres a penny

owen would be a super sub for england,also just have to look at his record for england too

lol
    Because If Fergie thinks Owen is gonna be great then everyone else agrees
    50 bet he's injured for the world cup :pac::pac:
    stop ganging up on me

Liam O wrote: »
    It's OK Al, Anthony Le Tallec (better than Ronaldo supposedly) is going to come back and singlehandedly win the league for you. He might bring Bruno Cheyrou and that Gonzalez bloke who was supposed to be a world class winger too...

wtf are you talking about? We're talking about Michael Owen for Engand in the world cup. Not Liverpool.
    check out the thread title & then move along like a good lad.

Liam O wrote: »

What's that got to do with Michael Owen and england?

wtf are you talking about? We're talking about Michael Owen for Engand in the world cup. Not Liverpool.
    check out the thread title & then move along like a good lad.

why did you quote my post ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We'll see how they get on tonight. Winning all qualifying games, even against mediocre opposition is good, but if they go 3 losses out of 3 against top, albeit friendly, opposition says a lot.

They have the quality to beat any team in the world, just not the consistency.

stop ganging up on me

Are you Michael Owen??? Oh wow i feel star struck

• Advertisement

how did u say he was key to england,what i said is they'll go far,that's a tad different then saying he's key
    ffs alan next time read my posts properly and heres a penny

actually, wat you said was;

"If they get a fit and scoring for fun M. Owen back they'll go far"

you're more than implying if they don't get him back fit & scoring, they won't go far.

So maybe i read your posts just fine, perhaps its more you have difficulty composing them.

tbh Headshot roll back a few months, before Utd got Owen and say he was about to join Liverpool or whoever, can you imagine yourself - or the majority of Utd fans for that matter - saying he'll be key for the to "go far"?

I agree with Bubs' points - on paper England have a superb squad. Their defense is solid, midfield is fantastic and up front if Rooney can score which he usually does for England then they've a solid chance. I think if players like Joe Cole can get back to full fitness he'll play a key role in the side too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

England think they can win it. They always do. Quality rarely comes into it.
    Which is why they get so much stick about how they perceive themselves in any sport.

I didn't give my opinion on whether they could win it or not.

By saying they will bottle it, you are implying that they had a chance in the first place. Thus, the English thinking that they might win it isn't actually that far off and creating a thread about Terry saying that they could win it just so you could point out how stupid he is is somewhat retarded.

actually, wat you said was;

"If they get a fit and scoring for fun M. Owen back they'll go far"

you're more than implying if they don't get him back fit & scoring, they won't go far.

So maybe i read your posts just fine, perhaps its more you have difficulty composing them.

:D

Alan you should really come a politician or somthing your well able to spin a story

Rooney is key to England,as i said earlier a fit owen would help england out alot
    A tight game with 15 mins to go and england need a goal,id put money on owen scoring the winner

im not saying this as man utd fan either,Rooney and owen partnership isnt the best but having him as a sub,would help england chances

just look at england striking options far from the best at all

Perhaps you should've mentioned all those points in the first place?

Implies with Michael Owen fit and playing - they'll do well - hence a "key player".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Folks this is not going to turn into another Liverpool V Utd thread.One yellow issued already.

Dub13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's not that long ago Darius Vassell was Englands future, then it was Crouch.

I think they could do very well, QF or even semi's.

I'd like to see England do well. Everybody gets on their back and all they can do is their best. There are much stronger teams out there, but that doesn't make you the over all winners. England, the dark horse - for sure.

Perhaps you should've mentioned all those points in the first place?

Implies with Michael Owen fit and playing - they'll do well - hence a "key player".

nope that's not my definition of a key player at all

terry is a key player for england but england would still progress in the tournament without him

without Rooney england wouldnt progress,ill repeat myself that england striking options atm are bad

If a game was tight with 15 minutes to go i think Agbonlahor/Walcott who have pace, or Crouch are much better options than Owen.

nope that's not my definition of a key player at all

terry is a key player for england but england would still progress in the tournament without him

without Rooney england wouldnt progress,ill repeat myself that england striking options atm are bad

Fair enough - but when you say Mo will be fit and back it pretty much implies he's a key player to anyone else's view of your language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fair enough - but when you say Mo will be fit and back it pretty much implies he's a key player to anyone else's view of your language.
    Who give's a crap?

If a game was tight with 15 minutes to go i think Agbonlahor/Walcott who have pace, or Crouch are much better options than Owen.

that's your opinion Alan but I cant help thinking its because owen is utd player now but ill still debate your striking picks

Agbonlahor/Walcott all pace and no finish at all and isnt theo a winger for england

also crouch would be a good option if he was anyway good in the air for a big man he's surprisingly bad in the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I always say they've got a good chance then they always **** up , can see spain just gettin better and better think there gonna win it

Headshot, between me & you, only one persons opinion of Michael is different from what it was last year, and it certainly ain't me.

Walcott has played as a winger for England, but he can also play up front (obviously)
    Crouch is not the best in the air, but he worries defences cause of his height, he always wins flick ons & has a great touch & can score. Much better option than Owen from the bench if a goal is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

michael owen 89 caps, 40 goals record speaks for it self ,
    form is temporary , class is permanent

• Advertisement
Advertisement