Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England are going to win the world cup (Mod Warrning @ post 42)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

michael owen 89 caps, 40 goals record speaks for it self ,
    form is temporary , class is permanent

Bring back bobby charlton so and the world cup is in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Dub13 wrote: »
    Bring back bobby charlton so and the world cup is in the bad.
    he retired himself , michael owen still available for selection though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

LOL at people even considering they've got a chance. They've absolutely no playmaker in central midfield of the ability to win a world cup. Yeah Stevie G and Franky lamps are excellant box to box players but this is not enough. The day Scholes retired was a crushing blow for them. Barry or Carrick are simply not good enough at this level. Spain would wipe the floor with them and anyone who disagrees is dillusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Headshot, between me & you, only one persons opinion of Michael is different from what it was last year, and it certainly ain't me.

Walcott has played as a winger for England, but he can also play up front (obviously)
    Crouch is not the best in the air, but he worries defences cause of his height, he always wins flick ons & has a great touch & can score. Much better option than Owen from the bench if a goal is needed.

i had no opinion on owen last year :confused:

its so easy to deal with some like crouch,contest the headers but make sure you get the knock downs,pretty easy

another thing owen has is he is always on the shoulder of the defender

lets all not forget this new wonderkid jack wilshere :P ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Spain would wipe the floor with them and anyone who disagrees is dillusional.

Well maybe USA will do England a favour and knock them out:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

It's easier said than done to mark someone like Crouch - he's a decent weapon to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I didn't give my opinion on whether they could win it or not.

By saying they will bottle it, you are implying that they had a chance in the first place. Thus, the English thinking that they might win it isn't actually that far off and creating a thread about Terry saying that they could win it just so you could point out how stupid he is is somewhat retarded.

I didn't say they'd bottle it.

I took up the issue of why they get stick. And it's their attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I didn't say they'd bottle it.

I took up the issue of why they get stick. And it's their attitude.

I didn't say that you did. My post was prompted by someone else saying that they would bottle it. You quoted me and I replied to your post and attempted to elaborate on the logic that I was using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm unsubscribing from this thread right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

England remind me a bit of the Dublin football team - all hype and no substance. I just cant see them winning it - its the same every 4 years. Football is not coming home - its going to South America where it belongs.

Warper wrote: »
    England remind me a bit of the Dublin football team - all hype and no substance. I just cant see them winning it - its the same every 4 years. Football is not coming home - its going to South America where it belongs.
    i doubt that, unless spain miraculously moves to south america

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I think England have a fantastic chance of winning this time around, still not sure I'd back them for it but they have to be up there with the favourites.

i doubt that, unless spain miraculously moves to south america

Spain are another team that seem to crumble under the pressure. Look at their history in major competitions. Granted they have an excellent team but there is still something dodgy about them - you just can't rely on them. They won one of the weakest European Championships in many a year with the majority of the major traditional teams looking very mundane eg Italy, France and that other powerhouse England who couldn't even make it.

Even in the Confed Cup, Spain looked great until they bombed out in the semi's. Brazil will win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Dub13 wrote: »
    Folks this is not going to turn into another Liverpool V Utd thread.One yellow issued already.

Dub13

Whats the problem if it does?? People obviously like debating Liverpool V Manu so i dont get why just cause your a moderator you can have this controlling aspect to warn people againt chatting about it, i'm losing patience with boards.ie cause of people like you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Stacksey wrote: »
    Whats the problem if it does?? People obviously like debating Liverpool V Manu so i dont get why just cause your a moderator you can have this controlling aspect to warn people againt chatting about it, i'm losing patience with boards.ie cause of people like you

Here here, in everyday life conversations go from one thing to another, i dont see the harm in it.
    Its the bouncer syndrome again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

This thread is about England in the world cup.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This thread is about England in the world cup.

Thats fine but if a conversation goes slightly off topic what of it? nobody is getting hurt by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

no harm in reminding wat the topic at hand is though, in order to keep it from going way off topic.

eg:
    the merits of Owen over Crouch/Walcott/Bent etc-grand
    Le Tallac being ****e-hideously but, but hideously off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

England have one World class player (Gerrard) and two very good players (Terry and Rooney), otherwise they are a bit meh TBH. Knocked out in Semi's or Quarters yet again me thinks.

• Advertisement

Spain are another team that seem to crumble under the pressure. Look at their history in major competitions. Granted they have an excellent team but there is still something dodgy about them - you just can't rely on them. They won one of the weakest European Championships in many a year with the majority of the major traditional teams looking very mundane eg Italy, France and that other powerhouse England who couldn't even make it.

Even in the Confed Cup, Spain looked great until they bombed out in the semi's. Brazil will win it.
    England are a powerhouse now? When's the last major final they made it to? 66 :rolleyes:

Bandit12 wrote: »
    England have one World class player (Gerrard) and two very good players (Terry and Rooney), otherwise they are a bit meh TBH. Knocked out in Semi's or Quarters yet again me thinks.

Getting back on toppic that is the most ridiculous statement i have ever seen, they have a world class player in every position except for goalkeeper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

In fairness Ashley Cole and Lampard are both world class!

Getting back on toppic that is the most ridiculous statement i have ever seen, they have a world class player in every position except for goalkeeper
    Would'nt like to see your world class team then. Owen,Brown,Lampard,Cole,Crouch etc... are NOT world class players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'd agree. Spain looked class in the Euro's but were definitely outclassed by an Italian team who had a poor poor tournament and the same happened in the Confederations Cup. Think they're prone to losing concentration or letting the pressure get to them in big tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Would'nt like to see your world class team then. Owen,Brown,Lampard,Cole,Crouch etc... are NOT world class players.

Lampard, Carrick, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, SWP, Young, Beckham, Johnson, RIO and Crouch are certainly not - as you put it - "meh".

bullvine wrote: »
    In fairness Ashley Cole and Lampard are both world class!

Agree - individually they have some top-notch players. They have a goalkeeper crisis and bar Rooney they are very average up-front. Plus Lampard and Gerrard just cannot play together.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Lampard, Carrick, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, SWP, Young, Beckham, Johnson, RIO and Crouch are certainly not - as you put it - "meh".

In fairness SWP, Johnson and Crouch are mediocre plus Beckham will be in his mid-thirties this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Those two are world class players. Owen was and still can be one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thats fine but if a conversation goes slightly off topic what of it? nobody is getting hurt by it

Oh I am....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Very few if any better leftbacks than Cole and Lampard is easily a class act! The amount of goals hes scored over the years. Oh and you forgot Ferdinand, definitely is and I'm sure if Rooney gets a good run up front with United he will prove he is, thats 5 including Stevie G!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I dont think that we will win it.

Probably our standard quarter final exit against one of the better teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

What a stupid post. The funniest thing for me is putting Terry down as being better then Rio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As always they certainly have the squad of players to win it, the main difference this time round is that they have a manager who is capable of delivering.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the final at the very least, draw depending of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

writing off england is pretty ludicrous to be honest.

several world class players - rio, stevie, cashley, lampard, rooney, terry (debatable i'll admit).

whoever said cashley and lamps aren't world class; well done :rolleyes:

they have other other solid, high quality players such as barry and joe cole. johnson is great on his day. and even if he's not, brown if ever fit could probably usurp him anyway.

GK and striker are their only real concerns. the rest of the team, on paper, is more than aptly able to win the tournament.

Capello has made them difficult enough to beat, and once you're difficult to beat, well then anything can happen in international football. england have enough game-changers on the back of this, to win a tournament like the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Xavi6 wrote: »
    As always they certainly have the squad of players to win it, the main difference this time round is that they have a manager who is capable of delivering.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the final at the very least, draw depending of course.

The draw is important.

Capello is also a very important factor. England look like a team transformed recently. And with most of the same players.

Very important in tournament play are temperament and psychology. England have a long history of being quite crap in the mental aspects of the game - sendings off, missing penalties etc...

Luck is a huge factor in tournament football and England also have a long history of being really unlucky with injuries and the like.

(I think it would be great for Owen if he does enough to force his way into the England team for the WC. I also think it would be great for England if this happened.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

How could England win the World Cup if Ireland is going to win it :confused::P.
    Keep The Faith :rolleyes: Pfttttt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Read the first few chapters of this book and realise England will be doing very well indeed to get past the QF.

51yqsVJ%2BNHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Gerrard and Rooney world class or at least very good.

Terry is as slow as christmas and I do not think he is that good. He could be embarassed very easily by quality fast strikers.

blinding wrote: »
    Gerrard and Rooney world class or at least very good.

Terry is as slow as christmas and I do not think he is that good. He could be embarassed very easily by quality fast strikers.
    Imo Rooney is'nt world class. Maybe he will become the player we where promised (White Pele;)) but i doubt it very much. Gerrard is one of the top 3 players in the world so yes he is world class.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

First off you are debating moderation in a thread and this is against the rules,but seems you are losing patience with boards.ie because of people like me I will let it slide and hope you pick up on this and it helps you return to loving boards and the moderates unconditionally.

If we don't stop threads sliding into big Man Utd V Liverpool flame wars every second thread on the forum would become one,this may not to bad if you are a Man Utd or Liverpool fan but believe it or not there are fans of other clubs on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Every 4 years, it's the same thing. "This is our best team since '66" etc etc etc. Capello is a great manager but the fact is that other teams are technically better than the best the English have. Semis at most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ridiculous how people let nationalist feelings temper their rationality about the English national team despite supporting English teams.

They're not omnipotent; they don't have a divine right to win, but they are certainly among the favourites on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Read the first few chapters of this book and realise England will be doing very well indeed to get past the QF.

51yqsVJ%2BNHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Just purchased that :) am I right in thinking that that is the author of Freakonomics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Just purchased that :) am I right in thinking that that is the author of Freakonomics?

Its not the same author but it is basically a football version of Freakonomics, tis a great read, i heartily recommend it to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I support an English team and love watching English football and some of my favourite players are English so I hope they do well. They genuinely have some world class players, the Spanish and Italian press etc can be just as bad but we don't hear much about it as they aren't our neighbours. If we had a team like England, we would be pretty damn hyped up about it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ireland have the luxury of being plucky loosers. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement