Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England are going to win the world cup (Mod Warrning @ post 42)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Simon Kuper, who wrote that book, is a new columnist in Four Four Two. Might pick up that book - is it being sold in Irish bookstores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Kuper has been a guest columnist and had excerpts of his books published in 442 for years has he not? he's been round the block:).

Got mine on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Aaron Lennon will be the decider tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Read the first few chapters of this book and realise England will be doing very well indeed to get past the QF.

51yqsVJ%2BNHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Not to go too far OT, but this review of the above mentioned book (from Sunday's Observer) is an interesting read in itself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Not to go too far OT, but this review of the above mentioned book (from Sunday's Observer) is an interesting read in itself...

The most interesting thing about that review is that Mourinho has not lost a home game since Feb 2002 - a total of 117 games. Some achievement - make note of that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

England ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

That_Guy wrote: »
    Who will?

Spain, Brazil, Germany or Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ADTR wrote: »
    Spain, Brazil, Germany or Argentina.

spain:most certainly

Brazil:just not cutting it for me

germany:nope

Argentina:barely able to qualify atm and a rookie manager=nope :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Headshot wrote: »
    I would like to see england do well in the world cup and i honestly think they have a good chance. If they get a fit and scoring for fun
    M. Owen back they'll go far

Well i think if Brazil can get Pele back fit and scoring they'll win it or if Argentina get Maradonna back fit and scoring they'll have a great chance ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Well i think if Brazil can get Pele back fit and scoring they'll win it or if Argentina get Maradonna back fit and scoring they'll have a great chance ;)

im not even going to waste my time.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Really, what is the point in posting that?
    Owen has a decent chance of getting into the England squad if he has a good season behind him. Do you agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I think the point the poster was making was a sarcastic one. Lighten up a bit maybe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Owen has a decent chance of getting into the England squad if he has a good season behind him. Do you agree?
    I think the ONLY reason Owen wasn't chosen for the squad against Holland is because he had only played a few games for United, and Capello would look like a bit of a hypocrite choosing him. Once Owen has a few appearances with United in the League he's almost guaranteed a place in the England squad imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well if as you claim Michael Owen has a good chance of getting back into the England squad then no they have'nt a snowballs chance in hell of winning the World Cup, hes not even on a proper contrat FFS he's on a pay as you play deal for a reason

There has been little or no talk of Owen for the past couple of seasons. Now that he is with Utd. he suddenly becomes one of the best strikers in the world and should walk on to the England team.

Warper wrote: »
    There has been little or no talk of Owen for the past couple of seasons. Now that he is with Utd. he suddenly becomes one of the best strikers in the world and should walk on to the England team.
    True. If Owen had of signed for let's say Bolton he would have had no chance of getting into the England squad, hence the reason why he picked Utd. Owen's main concern is England. Alway's has and alway's will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Imo Rooney is'nt world class. Maybe he will become the player we where promised (White Pele;)) but i doubt it very much. Gerrard is one of the top 3 players in the world so yes he is world class.

No, Gerrard is not one of the best three players in the world. Torres, Kaka and Messi are. Neither Gerrard nor Rooney are as good as the three that I mentioned, though I do think that Gerrard is perhaps a bit closer to them than Rooney is. That gap may close in time, but we'll see.

I think it's really up in the air, not only England's chances, but the entire World Cup. Will Argentina even make it? Will Spain crumble away as they did in the Confederations Cup? Brazil had it put up to them at times, is the field getting closer? I think if, and it's a big if, England get to the quarter finals and then win, well, with Capello in charge, I would be very, very leery indeed of writing them off. But they'd have to get there first. And then win.

I think the ONLY reason Owen wasn't chosen for the squad against Holland is because he had only played a few games for United, and Capello would look like a bit of a hypocrite choosing him. Once Owen has a few appearances with United in the League he's almost guaranteed a place in the England squad imo.

Totally agree. He shouldnt have been chosen as there are still question marks over him and rightly so. As I said before, with a good season behind him he will be going to the WC
    Well if as you claim Michael Owen has a good chance of getting back into the England squad then no they have'nt a snowballs chance in hell of winning the World Cup, hes not even on a proper contrat FFS he's on a pay as you play deal for a reason

Why not? Im not saying he will start. He's an option to have, he's a natural goalscorer. The idea of his contract at the moment is for him to prove himself, and as I said with a good season behind him he will be picked no matter what his contract will say come the summer.

As I sad before it was a stupid post from you.

Is this just a thread for people to make ridiculous over the top statements or something?

Who said he's one of the best strikers in the world? Who has said he should walk onto the England team? Stop exaggerating please.

If you look at whats actually being said, and it must be noted that its dependent on him staying fit, its that at Utd he'll get plenty of games, playing with better players and getting better service. For a natural finisher like him its perfect. If he has a good season and gets a good few goals then he will rightly be in the SQUAD for the WC (should England get there)

• Advertisement

Dismissing Owen is just stoopid. I would not be at all surprised if he turns out to be signing-of-the-season and fully deserving of his place in England's WC squad.

If he's in the squad, it'll be because he deserves to be there. And England will benefit. This sort of stuff is self-evident, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Tyranax wrote: »
    No, Gerrard is not one of the best three players in the world. Torres, Kaka and Messi are.

I dont see how you can come to this conclusion? Kakas last season or so has been patchy, his last season was his poorest to date according to an AC fan I know. Torres was injured a load last season. Messi yes.

Ronaldo is SURELY one of the top 3 in the world? I'd put Xavi ahead of Torres and Kaka too.

edit: Gerrard has a more legitimate claim than either Torres or Kaka imo

Is this just a thread for people to make ridiculous over the top statements or something?

Who said he's one of the best strikers in the world? Who has said he should walk onto the England team? Stop exaggerating please.

If you look at whats actually being said, and it must be noted that its dependent on him staying fit, its that at Utd he'll get plenty of games, playing with better players and getting better service. For a natural finisher like him its perfect. If he has a good season and gets a good few goals then he will rightly be in the SQUAD for the WC (should England get there)

How is he going to get plenty of games at Utd.? Is he going to be picked ahead of Rooney or Berbatov - no he won't. He might play in the Carling Cup with the rest of the reserves but he is not a first choice on the team. My point was Owen was barely mentioned the past couple of years and now suddenly people are making him out to be the "signing of the season" and what a natural goal-scorer he is. Owen in his prime was world-class but that was years ago pre-Madrid.

How is he going to get plenty of games at Utd.? Is he going to be picked ahead of Rooney or Berbatov - no he won't. He might play in the Carling Cup with the rest of the reserves but he is not a first choice on the team. My point was Owen was barely mentioned the past couple of years and now suddenly people are making him out to be the "signing of the season" and what a natural goal-scorer he is. Owen in his prime was world-class but that was years ago pre-Madrid.
    Owen is and always has been a natural goalscorer, his stats speak for themselves. He won't be starting a lot of games for utd but he'll be brought on a lot for the last 30 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

The England team I would pick provided all were fully fit would be:

James

Johnson
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A. Cole

Barry
    Carrick

---- Gerrard
    Lampard
    J. Cole

Rooney

With squad of

Rob Green - Paul Robinson
    Brown - Lescott - Upson - Bridge
    Beckham - Wright Phillips - Young - Walcott
    Owen - C. Cole

I dont see how you can come to this conclusion? Kakas last season or so has been patchy, his last season was his poorest to date according to an AC fan I know. Torres was injured a load last season. Messi yes.

Ronaldo is SURELY one of the top 3 in the world? I'd put Xavi ahead of Torres and Kaka too.

edit: Gerrard has a more legitimate claim than either Torres or Kaka imo[/quote]

IMO that's blinkered beyond belief. You think that Gerrard poses more of a threat than Torres or Kaka? What? Come on.

To me, Torres is the best striker in the world, no question. Messi is the best support striker in the world, and Kaka is the best attacking midfielder in the world. Ronaldo is selfish beyond belief, and has no more to his game than goals,he rarely creates like the others that I've mentioned, even Torres in his partnership with Gerrard has laid on more goals in his last two seasons than Ronaldo has. Xavi is one of the best CM's in the world, though Iniesta is a better dribbler. Xavi's a better passer. But I've gone on about this enough.

If Michael Owen gets fifteen goals this season, with a good number in the Premiership, then he should at least be in the running for an England spot. It all comes down to form. If Defoe has a good season, and he was excellent last night, then Owen's World Cup chances are done, Defoe is quicker and as good a finisher as Owen is.

• Advertisement

There's been a whole thread about this already...but anyway.

Utd will probably play 60ish games this season and Berbatov and Rooney will not play them all so Owen will get his chances.

He is more likely to be fit at Utd than he was at Newcastle.

When he plays, he will get better service than he did at Newcastle.

He may have lost some of his pace, but his touch is still great and if he gets a bit of luck and/or a run of games, he will score goals.

If this goes on for the season and particularly if he does some of this in tandem with Rooney, he will probably go to the WC. And he will deserve to.

Owen is and always has been a natural goalscorer, his stats speak for themselves. He won't be starting a lot of games for utd but he'll be brought on a lot for the last 30 minutes or so.

Owens Premier League record since the 2005/2006 season to now is 70 Apps with 26 goals - not exactly brilliant.

Listen, Owen as a free agent could turn out to be a decent signing but he is just being over-hyped too much since he joined for Utd. That said, England are stuck for strikers so if he stays injury-free he could be on the plane to South Africa.

Owens Premier League record since the 2005/2006 season to now is 70 Apps with 26 goals - not exactly brilliant.

Listen, Owen as a free agent could turn out to be a decent signing but he is just being over-hyped too much since he joined for Utd. That said, England are stuck for strikers so if he stays injury-free he could be on the plane to South Africa.
    How many of those appearances did he start?

How many of those appearances did he start?

edit: Gerrard has a more legitimate claim than either Torres or Kaka imo

IMO that's blinkered beyond belief. You think that Gerrard poses more of a threat than Torres or Kaka? What? Come on.

To me, Torres is the best striker in the world, no question. Messi is the best support striker in the world, and Kaka is the best attacking midfielder in the world. Ronaldo is selfish beyond belief, and has no more to his game than goals,he rarely creates like the others that I've mentioned, even Torres in his partnership with Gerrard has laid on more goals in his last two seasons than Ronaldo has. Xavi is one of the best CM's in the world, though Iniesta is a better dribbler. Xavi's a better passer. But I've gone on about this enough.

If Michael Owen gets fifteen goals this season, with a good number in the Premiership, then he should at least be in the running for an England spot. It all comes down to form. If Defoe has a good season, and he was excellent last night, then Owen's World Cup chances are done, Defoe is quicker and as good a finisher as Owen is.

Blinkered through what kind of blinkers?

Form blinkers? Two years worth of form too. Kaka hasnt been the best attacking midfielder for at least two seasns. Torres hasnt been the best striker in any season he has played never in Spain and never really in England, arguably last season but he was injured for so much its hard to quantify. He is definitely up there but not in the top 3 in the world.

Etoo is a better striker a. He gets more goals.

Messi was playing as a left/right wing forward for the past few seasons so not exactly a support striker. But I agree he defo has a genuine case for being among the top 3.

Ronaldo was voted best player. He doesnt have more to his game than goals? Besides the obvious fact that really not much more is needed to your game than lots of goals... he has pace, heading, free kicks, is able to beat a player...? Your right though I'M the one who is blinkered.

Over the last two seasons Gerrard DEFINITELY has been more of a threat than Kaka from what Ive seen and heard. Not only that but he has been performing consistently at the highest level for as far as I can remember. He definitely deserves to be in the "top 3" much more than Kaka or Torres do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

In the last two seasons in the premier league Ronaldo has had 13 assists where as Torres has had 8.

Blinkered through what kind of blinkers?

Form blinkers? Two years worth of form too. Kaka hasnt been the best attacking midfielder for at least two seasns. Torres hasnt been the best striker in any season he has played never in Spain and never really in England, arguably last season but he was injured for so much its hard to quantify. He is definitely up there but not in the top 3 in the world.

Etoo is a better striker a. He gets more goals.

Messi was playing as a left/right wing forward for the past few seasons so not exactly a support striker. But I agree he defo has a genuine case for being among the top 3.

Ronaldo was voted best player. He doesnt have more to his game than goals? Besides the obvious fact that really not much more is needed to your game than lots of goals... he has pace, heading, free kicks, is able to beat a player...? Your right though I'M the one who is blinkered.

Over the last two seasons Gerrard DEFINITELY has been more of a threat than Kaka from what Ive seen and heard. Not only that but he has been performing consistently at the highest level for as far as I can remember. He definitely deserves to be in the "top 3" much more than Kaka or Torres do.

Are you a Liverpool fan? If not, then fine. If you are, I humbly suggest that club allegiences played a part in you nominating Gerrard as one of the top three players in the world. My club may have played a part in me disagreeing with you on that of course. But isn't football discussion often a matter of opinion?

Torres was quite clearly the best striker in England last year. Who was better? Berbatov? Adebayor? Not even close. He was forced to drop deeper in Spain to get the ball, and play more of a part in moves than he is at Liverpool, and his game has benefited from it hugely, due to him being able to apply his pace further up the pitch. Torres is also much better at bringing people into play than Eto'o, I think he's got more to his game than Eto'o does. If you want to bring injury into it, Eto'o hasn't exactly had a gleaming injury record himself.

As for Gerrard versus Kaka, they don't play in the same position. Gerrard plays further up than Kaka, he's closer to a second striker than Kaka is. Kaka's form has been patchy for the last two years, no disputing that. But he was superb in the year before that, there is no disupting his quality. I think he'll rip things up for Madrid. I would rate Kaka above Gerrard due to his playmaking and his skill, but this is subjective.

Ronaldo was very average last year. He didn't contribute from general play at all, less than the year before, which didn't seem possible. His free kicks are random. I never said he was slow. I never said that he couldn't beat a man.I never said his heading was crap. I just don't think he's in the league of the top three that I nominated in terms of game intelligence. Messi showed him how it was done in the CL final. As a United fan that hurt. But it wasn't surprising. Messi floats too, he won't just stay wide, he can come inside, go central and play as a support striker too.
    A7X wrote: »
    In the last two seasons in the premier league Ronaldo has had 13 assists where as Torres has had 8.

I just got schooled stat wise, should have checked that before I ran my mouth. But is Torres more or less selfish in general play than Ronaldo? I think less. I'm not trying to go off on Ronaldo here. I respect hugely the threat that he provides. But I don't think he has anything like the brain or selflessness the other three have.

Can we talk about England again please?:P

Who here thinks that Carlton Cole could play Emile Heskey out of the team? He had a great game last night. "Heskey with poise" was a common enough praise bestowed on him. Both Heskey and Carlton Cole are a better bet than Crouch for England as the central striker. Crouch is a good link man, his positioning and feet when in possession are very clever. Pity that Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard and Joe Cole can link play too, and all are quicker. Crouch isn't as good in the air either as Carlton Cole or Heskey. Unless Crouch has an absolute blinder of a season, like he scores nearly twenty in the league and is responsible for firing Tottenham to a CL place and a cup, then he won't be going to South Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

slingerz wrote: »
    The England team I would pick provided all were fully fit would be:

James

Johnson
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A. Cole

Barry
    Carrick

---- Gerrard
    Lampard
    J. Cole

Rooney

With squad of

Rob Green - Paul Robinson
    Brown - Lescott - Upson - Bridge
    Beckham - Wright Phillips - Young - Walcott
    Owen - C. Cole

While Rooney isn't as hot-headed as he was he still isn't a man I'd pick to play as sole striker.

I'd agree with that Mike. He needs a big 'un in front of him. Ever since Heskey came in, he's flourished.

James

----Johnson
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    A.Cole--

Lampard
    Barry

Walcott
    Gerrard

Rooney

Heskey

I can see Capello going with this against Croatia in September. It's worked great so far.

Are you a Liverpool fan? If not, then fine. If you are, I humbly suggest that club allegiences played a part in you nominating Gerrard as one of the top three players in the world. My club may have played a part in me disagreeing with you on that of course. But isn't football discussion often a matter of opinion?

Torres was quite clearly the best striker in England last year. Who was better? Berbatov? Adebayor? Not even close. He was forced to drop deeper in Spain to get the ball, and play more of a part in moves than he is at Liverpool, and his game has benefited from it hugely, due to him being able to apply his pace further up the pitch. Torres is also much better at bringing people into play than Eto'o, I think he's got more to his game than Eto'o does. If you want to bring injury into it, Eto'o hasn't exactly had a gleaming injury record himself.

As for Gerrard versus Kaka, they don't play in the same position. Gerrard plays further up than Kaka, he's closer to a second striker than Kaka is. Kaka's form has been patchy for the last two years, no disputing that. But he was superb in the year before that, there is no disupting his quality. I think he'll rip things up for Madrid. I would rate Kaka above Gerrard due to his playmaking and his skill, but this is subjective.

Ronaldo was very average last year. He didn't contribute from general play at all, less than the year before, which didn't seem possible. His free kicks are random. I never said he was slow. I never said that he couldn't beat a man.I never said his heading was crap. I just don't think he's in the league of the top three that I nominated in terms of game intelligence. Messi showed him how it was done in the CL final. As a United fan that hurt. But it wasn't surprising. Messi floats too, he won't just stay wide, he can come inside, go central and play as a support striker too.

lol, no Im a United fan. BUT I humbly suggest that your club allegiances contribute to you NOT having him in the top 3.

Being the best Striker in England does not mean best in the world. I'd say best striker is one who has gotten the most goals. Etoo fits that. I've no doubt Torres could be and probably will be.

I dont think directly comparing players is a good idea tbh, I am talking about an overall perspective and I would imagine most football fans would include Gerrard ahead of Kaka, based on form alone, Gerrard runs away with it.

I know you didnt say he didnt have all those things. You did say though that he had nothing else to his game other than goals. I showed you he did and you were also given an assist stat.

Simply put, you sticking Kaka and Torres in the top 3 iyo instead of other much more deserving players is ill informed. I've just named a few who I think would be much more deserving, Gerrard and Ronaldo being main candidates.

No, Gerrard is not one of the best three players in the world. Torres, Kaka and Messi are. Neither Gerrard nor Rooney are as good as the three that I mentioned, though I do think that Gerrard is perhaps a bit closer to them than Rooney is. That gap may close in time, but we'll see.

I think it's really up in the air, not only England's chances, but the entire World Cup. Will Argentina even make it? Will Spain crumble away as they did in the Confederations Cup? Brazil had it put up to them at times, is the field getting closer? I think if, and it's a big if, England get to the quarter finals and then win, well, with Capello in charge, I would be very, very leery indeed of writing them off. But they'd have to get there first. And then win.
    Best three players on the planet....Messi,Gerrard and Ronaldo(the skinny one:)) in that order. Kaka is not even in the top 5 imo.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Best three players on the planet....Messi,Gerrard and Ronaldo(the skinny one:)) in that order. Kaka is not even in the top 5 imo.

If Kaka has a scorcher of a season in La Liga and wins the World Cup with Brazil while playing similarly, will ye admit that I might have a wee point then?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

All this talk of how Capello is going to make the difference is a little misguided in my opinion. While there is no doubting he is an excellent manger with a fantastic record of 9 league titles in 16 seasons he only has one decent cup victory to his name. So to say he is automatically going to make a huge difference when it comes to the business end of the tournament is not true as its unproven

There is no doubting kaka's ability but as i told theresalwaysone he had his poorest season to date this year due to a number of factors, his injuries, the disjointed shape of the milan team and his loss of the pace he once had. He performed well in the closing stretch when playing the support striker role behind Inzaghi which enabled Inzaghi to play some of the best football I have ever seen him play. That is the thing with Kaka when he plays well he makes everyone else play well and it appear easier than it actually is. However despite that there is no way he is in the top 3 players in the world currently. He has lost the pace he had which used to take him away from players with ease and now is no longer the explosive attacking midfielder he once was.

Trippie wrote: »
    There is no doubting kaka's ability but as i told theresalwaysone he had his poorest season to date this year due to a number of factors, his injuries, the disjointed shape of the milan team and his loss of the pace he once had. He performed well in the closing stretch when playing the support striker role behind Inzaghi which enabled Inzaghi to play some of the best football I have ever seen him play. That is the thing with Kaka when he plays well he makes everyone else play well and it appear easier than it actually is. However despite that there is no way he is in the top 3 players in the world currently. He has lost the pace he had which used to take him away from players with ease and now is no longer the explosive attacking midfielder he once was.

He wasn't at his absolute peak last season yet he still scored more goals in the League than he ever did previously - 16 in 31 games plus how ever many assists. Not bad for an attacking midfielder eh. He pulled Brazil through to winning the Confed Cup and was named Player of the Tournament. I believe he is still one of the top 3 players in the world along with Messi and Ronaldo and I believe he will show that again this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If Kaka has a scorcher of a season in La Liga and wins the World Cup with Brazil while playing similarly, will ye admit that I might have a wee point then?:pac:

Well this is a fairly retarded question.

If Kevin Kilbane plays the best out of any player on the planet this season that will make him the best player around, that doesn't mean claiming he's the best player around at the moment is sensible...

He wasn't at his absolute peak last season yet he still scored more goals in the League than he ever did previously - 16 in 31 games plus how ever many assists. Not bad for an attacking midfielder eh. He pulled Brazil through to winning the Confed Cup and was named Player of the Tournament. I believe he is still one of the top 3 players in the world along with Messi and Ronaldo and I believe he will show that again this season.

obviously he is going to score more goals since he was in a more advanced attacking position also of the 16 goals he scored 7 were penalites. So the fact he was playing as a second striker and taking on the penalty taker role from pirlo it is obviously going to result in a bigger goal output

Advertisement