Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breadcrumbs and chicken...

Options
  • 12-08-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Very silly question i'm sure but to coat a chicken fillet in breadcrumbs do i put the chicken into flour, then egg then breadcrumbs yeah? Have i got it the right way around? anyone any nice herbs/ingredients to add to the breadcrumbs? cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yes you do have the order right :)
    Some finely grated parmesan can be lovely mixed with the breadcrumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I do flour - egg - flour - egg - breadcrumbs mixed with parmasan.

I find that dipping the chicken into the flour and eggs twice keeps the breadcrumbs on better and I just like the texture it gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

And just out of interest what do ye find is the best way to cook them? Oven, wok deep fat fryer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Here is what I do:

Cut the chicken fillet horizontally so i get nice thin fillets, so about 4 chicken fillets you get about 8-10 thinner fillets.

I go flour - egg - breadcrumbs (the fresh ones)

In the flour I put a bit of salt and pepper in it.

In the egg I grate a clove of garlic into it.

In the bread crumbs I put a good amount (2 table spoons) of Schwartz Herbes de Provence (Italian herbs are good too)

I shallow fry with either olive oil (can be expensive) or grape seed oil (cheaper and better for you then other vegetable oils)

Left overs are great in a sanwich the next day.

The reason I cut the fillets is that as I shallow fry and it means the chicken cooked through without burning the coating, it has more flavour and chicken fillets are expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I sometimes make chicken goujons marinated in buttermilk then coated with crushed Ritz crackers and shallow fried - they taste amazing and are very tender. It's a Nigella Lawson recipe. You can leave the chicken in the buttermilk for up to 2 days in the fridge.
    The secret of success when frying anything like this is not to move them around and only turn them over when one side is cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

I sometimes make chicken goujons marinated in buttermilk then coated with crushed Ritz crackers and shallow fried - they taste amazing and are very tender. It's a Nigella Lawson recipe. You can leave the chicken in the buttermilk for up to 2 days in the fridge.
    The secret of success when frying anything like this is not to move them around and only turn them over when one side is cooked.
    Have to say Dizzy that sounds gorgeous, it really does. Whats the minimum amount of time you can leave the chicken in the buttermilk? Can you just coat it by dipping it in there and then, or do you need to leave for buttermilk to soak in, and then leave in fridge?

Have to say Dizzy that sounds gorgeous, it really does. Whats the minimum amount of time you can leave the chicken in the buttermilk? Can you just coat it by dipping it in there and then, or do you need to leave for buttermilk to soak in, and then leave in fridge?

I'd say you'd need to leave it soaking for at least half an hour for it to tenderise the chicken. I usually pour some buttermilk into a tub, throw in the chicken and leave it in the fridge.
    You can freeze the buttermilk you don't use for next time too :)

Advertisement