Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair dye

Options
  • 12-08-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Ok, so i have bright red hair, and my roots are officially horrific (dark brown). Does anyone know if it's safe to dye your hair during pregnancy? I know amonia and the likes are a big problem, so i was thinking of getting garnier nutrisse or something without half the chemicals.

I just want to make sure im not damaging the baby before I go for it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

I have naturally brown hair and had it dyed black!! the roots where horrible but i stuck wit it, let it grow out.
    However the doctor told me to use natural hair dye.. never got around to it thou.
    Try a health shop maybe? A henna color or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi op.. I never heard of the risk to babs from hair dye?! My hairdresser said it was perfectly fine to dye hair as normal during pregnancy.. I got my roots done every 6 weeks during pregnancy.. I have a very healthy (noisy) 9 month old girl now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

I know there are some concerns esp in the first 3 months and with highlights myself I'm wondering should I go back to my natural colour. I read that with highlights its not as bad becuase the chemicals don't touch your scalp (dunno if this is true) but I'm not sure about a full colour. I think if your anyway worried I wouldn't dye it. Would it be a big deal to go to your natural colour? Do you love the red? I love my highlights but my baby is more important so will prob go brown again! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can dye your hair as normal during pregnancy.

If you're worried, go to your doctor or midwife and see what their opinion is but my midwife said it was fine and it was just people being over cautious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

From what I heard, dying your hair is not a problem in itself, but the fumes aren't good for you.

So if you go to a large well ventilated hairdresser's it's fine, a lot better than doing it yourself in the tiny windowless bathroom.

Speaking of natural hair dye - they are great, but you can't use them until there's NONE of the synthetic hair colour left on you. Otherwise henna can react with it and the result is nothing like you might want.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Not pregnant myself or have been but I used to use this hair colouring when I was living in NZ (not sure if it can be gotten in Ireland) and found it to be good.

http://www.tintsofnature.com.au

Advertisement