Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining DKIT in Sept? Introduce yourself here

Options
  • 12-08-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

So you've got your results and your CAO offer will be arriving in the next few days.

If your thinking about going to DKIT or have already received your offer for a place then introduce yourself here.

What course are you going to do?

Are you gonna travel or stay in Dundalk?

What questions do you need answered about the college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What are the women like there? ;)

I kid. I know exactly what they're like.

1st years unite!!! I have been in the college before and yes believe me it was daunting at first not knowing anybody and trying to find your way around. There are plenty of people around on your first day to help you navigate where you're supposed to be.

All of your lecturers should be there at the welcoming talk and there should be a bonding session whereby you get to know people in your course and you have a bit of a laugh etc.

Everyone will be in the same boat more or less with regards shyness and not knowing everyone so you're not alone so just get talking to people and you'll be grand.

First day is always the most nerve racking but everyone is in the same position so just relax and enjoy college life.

Oh yeah I'll be going into first year this year having previously dropped out of Multimedia. I'll be studying Video and Film from September. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Come on up to the college bar (provided your over 18) and ya'll have a laugh and get to know people. Freshers week should be mad this year..

(That sounded like a plug didnt it??SORRY!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cuffesis

I'm going to be doing Health and Physical Activity

I'm going to travel up each day from Swords

And er.... has anyone here ever done the course before? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

cuffesis wrote: »

My cousin done it :D

Pm me any question or start a new thread about it to keep this one on topic and i'll answer as best I can there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Doing it at the moment....good course...but there is few pointless modules in it just have to get over them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

If its something that people are interested in regarding sharing lifts from certain areas , lemme know and ill start a sticky thread on it . It may be the best way and cheapest way to commute from certain areas. Anyway lemme know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bubbles123

hey any one studying applied music this year,the music building is way off campus,so quess i cant stay in student acc.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Doing Applied Cultural Studies with Film this year. Im Carpo. Ill be the guy playing pool wearing some sort of hardcore related tee shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Hi, how are you getting there from Swords?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cuffesis

jmbkay wrote: »
    Hi, how are you getting there from Swords?

Hey, I'm getting the 100x from the airport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

bubbles123 wrote: »
    hey any one studying applied music this year,the music building is way off campus,so quess i cant stay in student acc.:(

starting a masters in that same building this year. mature student! I'll be the one who looks older than half the lecturers I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Sarge wrote: »
    If its something that people are interested in regarding sharing lifts from certain areas , lemme know and ill start a sticky thread on it . It may be the best way and cheapest way to commute from certain areas. Anyway lemme know.

Is there anyone driving from Melrose Park, Kinsealy Downs, Kinsealy Court, Melesian Court areas of Swords?, and interested in giving lifts in return for sharing petrol money? The 100x from Dublin Airport to DKIT is E50 for a 10 journey ticket without a student card and E40 with. Just thought I'd ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tess13

Hi Im starting as a mature student in Sept doing Health and physical activity - can anyone who has or is doing this course please tell me if there are any career opportunities in a more health setting rather then the physical activity. I don't come from a sports background and will be 41 by the time I qualifiy and feel that I might be waisting my time doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Tess13 wrote: »
    Hi Im starting as a mature student in Sept doing Health and physical activity - can anyone who has or is doing this course please tell me if there are any career opportunities in a more health setting rather then the physical activity. I don't come from a sports background and will be 41 by the time I qualifiy and feel that I might be waisting my time doing this?

What sort of jobs are you thinking of when you mention the health sector?

I know of two people who did this course and they became qualified gym instructors from it.

I'd say you would want to investigate the course more. There's going to be physical activity in it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jlamph

What sort of jobs are you thinking of when you mention the health sector?

I know of two people who did this course and they became qualified gym instructors from it.

I'd say you would want to investigate the course more. There's going to be physical activity in it anyway.

Hi I was hoping for a more evaluating fitness levels, prescribing excerise for people with illness, obeasity or injury and advising on diet ? I've searched the web and can find nothing. Although I do a lot of cardio myself and weight training they didn't mention this in the interview I attended, I just don't want to teach people excerise I feel I'd be too old by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Jlamph wrote: »
    Hi I was hoping for a more evaluating fitness levels, prescribing excerise for people with illness, obeasity or injury and advising on diet ? I've searched the web and can find nothing. Although I do a lot of cardio myself and weight training they didn't mention this in the interview I attended, I just don't want to teach people excerise I feel I'd be too old by then!

I'd say try to email one of the lecturers to get as much info as you can, the staff emails are up on the DKIT website.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Conchor

Anyone doing Business And Technology level 7 ? I applied for it yesterday through the available place section.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Outlawstar8489

I've been accepted to the Biosciecnes Degree but I just can't decide if I want to do it as travelling from Finglas is tough every day. I'm not 100 percent sure science is the career path I want, I love it yes, but I love music more, but at the same time I feel like I could be passing up a great opportunity if I don't....argh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've been accepted to the Biosciecnes Degree but I just can't decide if I want to do it as travelling from Finglas is tough every day. I'm not 100 percent sure science is the career path I want, I love it yes, but I love music more, but at the same time I feel like I could be passing up a great opportunity if I don't....argh

If you could you should move to Dundalk, travelling that far everyday would be a real de-motivating factor. That's if you decide the course is right for you.

I was thinking that too...I sent an email about defferal but I have heard nothign back yet. I've accepted the course as a matter of course, no pun intended, just so I still have the option past teh acceptance date. I wish this was an easier decision Im going insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I was thinking that too...I sent an email about defferal but I have heard nothign back yet. I've accepted the course as a matter of course, no pun intended, just so I still have the option past teh acceptance date. I wish this was an easier decision Im going insane

Applied Bioscience?

I'm just entering into my third year of it. It's a challenge, and you really do need to have a broad interest in science if you want to get through it with decent marks. There's some maths, physics in first year, and chemistry in second year.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Applied Bioscience?

I'm just entering into my third year of it. It's a challenge, and you really do need to have a broad interest in science if you want to get through it with decent marks. There's some maths, physics in first year, and chemistry in second year.

I've had a defferal accepted so I'm happy with that. Thanks for your feedback. How much of the course is labwork?

I've had a defferal accepted so I'm happy with that. Thanks for your feedback. How much of the course is labwork?

A good chunk of it. About 40-50% I would say

A good chunk of it. About 40-50% I would say

Thanks very much, I did a FETAC prepatory science course this year and the ratio was similar, is there any opportunity to express yourself in personal writings, essays?

Thanks very much, I did a FETAC prepatory science course this year and the ratio was similar, is there any opportunity to express yourself in personal writings, essays?

Honestly, not so much. At least not in the first two years. You do have the opportunity to demonstrate extra research etc in your lab write ups each week, but some lecturers prefer you to stay within curriculum restraints

Honestly, not so much. At least not in the first two years. You do have the opportunity to demonstrate extra research etc in your lab write ups each week, but some lecturers prefer you to stay within curriculum restraints

Thanks for the reply. Thats a shame to me as I love writing my own research essays. Oh well

Thanks for the reply. Thats a shame to me as I love writing my own research essays. Oh well

They've restructured the whole course so don't take my word for it! The only opportunity I got to express myself was with a group project in First Year and a presentation in Second Year.

Because there are so many lab write-ups to do every week, I'm sort of glad we aren't given essays as well :p Although I have a thesis this year, so ouch for me!

They've restructured the whole course so don't take my word for it! The only opportunity I got to express myself was with a group project in First Year and a presentation in Second Year.

Because there are so many lab write-ups to do every week, I'm sort of glad we aren't given essays as well :p Although I have a thesis this year, so ouch for me!

Ah thesis, sounds fun;)
    I actaully quite enjoy the lab write-ups myself;) Thanks for the reply. Interesting that they are restrcturing. I'm starting next year so hopefully its tailored to just me and nobody else due to sheer coincidence....XDD

Also, are you able to write up the lab reports on the PC. As my tutor in the PLC course insisted we do it all by hand!

• Advertisement

Also, are you able to write up the lab reports on the PC. As my tutor in the PLC course insisted we do it all by hand!

Well they have to be kept together but none of my lecturers had any issue with a printed one, but it has to be printed :) there are some fantastic lecturers there and they love a good read if you put the extra effort in!

Advertisement