Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension - are we dreaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 City Eagle

peaceboi wrote: »
    We built 38sqm ground floor extension full finish living hall, in 2017.
    Block build and 3 velux windows. 1000e per sqm. It also includes coc from engineer. Very happy. The builder was an experienced man of Romanian origin.
    We viewed several of his completed extension projects, before signing him up for the job.

That is really good value. Do you mind me asking, was plumbing electrical etc separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

City Eagle wrote: »
    That is really good value. Do you mind me asking, was plumbing electrical etc separate?

Yes, including led ceiling lights, laminate flooring, painting and plumbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭hello2020

wow..that looks cool...feels warm for an extension..any pics of laminate flooring?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When people give a price per square meter, does that include VAT? Is it a builders finish (before painting and tiling)?

My experience:

- We are planning an extension and have drawings prepared. The QS for a firm has quoted us a price of €136k.
    - The builder is an "all in builder" They'll do everything, right down to painting.
    - The price noted above is for everything before you put your kitchen and finishes in. It includes windows and doors. It doesn't include engineer.
    - The extension area is 30 sq m.
    - There is a small amount of internal renovation. The renovation area is about 46 sq m. The renovation is not complex.
    - There aren't any real complications about the site or access.

The price is €4, 500 based off the 30 sq m extension (136 / 30). With some renovation.

I was amazed by the price. We needs to add about another 15 for kitchen 2 for utility 6 for appliances 5 for outside and so on .....

Does it sound like a reasonable price?

Rough rule of thumb. Standard finish.

Renovations of about €1k per square meter.
    New build of €2k per square meter.

So that would put your job at 46,000 + 60,000 plus depending on finishes. So that’s €106k before you pick kitchen and painting etc.

Have you got 2 other quotes?

Gumbo wrote: »

So that would put your job at 46,000 + 60,000 plus depending on finishes. So that’s €106k before you pick kitchen and painting etc.

Working on another quote currently. Will be interesting. Thanks for the information.

• Advertisement

Any photo looking back at the original house?
    On the face of it, you got a really good price. But looking at it, it can be explained by no structural steel, no wide sliders or large glazing. The french doors and side windows can be supported by over the counter lintels so no engineering input there.

Looks tidy and neat.

Be interested to hear the total cost and total floor area and location, as no point someone in Dublin trying to compare their price if your in a rural location or vice versa.

I’m assuming it’s also planning exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

Would someone mind defining "renovation" for me. I've often seen this 1k figure but I'm not sure what it covers.

tscul32 wrote: »
    Would someone mind defining "renovation" for me. I've often seen this 1k figure but I'm not sure what it covers.

It won’t be defined.
    Hence the term beer mat calculation.

It’s a rough rule of thumb to see if your in the ball park of what the quotes will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

tscul32 wrote: »

It really depends on what you are starting from and what you want to end up with.
    1K is a useful ballpark, but even for a standard finish, it may well cost you more if you are starting from something that needs to be gutted for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

We built 38sqm ground floor extension full finish living hall, in 2017.
    Block build and 3 velux windows. 1000e per sqm. It also includes coc from engineer. Very happy. The builder was an experienced man of Romanian origin.
    We viewed several of his completed extension projects, before signing him up for the job.

Was this a cash job or everything tax & vat paid. 1k sq meter seems cheap in 2020/21.

What did you get for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

kingbhome wrote: »
    Was this a cash job or everything tax & vat paid. 1k sq meter seems cheap in 2020/21.

What did you get for this.

Hi... extension was done in 2017. Ground floor extension living hall 38sqm.
    snip/
    These guys did ours. Please contact him, he has done numerous extension, renovations & attic conversion.
    Based in Dublin 15.

This is really useful - does it include VAT? (the €1000 / €2000)

Is this a good summary of the potential costs

Renovation €1,000 / sq m
    +Build €2,000 / sq m
    +Engineer €4,000
    +QS 2% of build cost
    +Contingency 5%
    + vat 13.5%
    = Total before finises

This is really useful - does it include VAT? (the €1000 / €2000)

Is this a good summary of the potential costs

Renovation €1,000 / sq m
    +Build €2,000 / sq m
    +Engineer €4,000
    +QS 2% of build cost
    +Contingency 5%
    + vat 13.5%
    = Total before finises

I'd increase the contingency to 10%.

Just got a price from a QS about my job. I hired the QS to cost the job. Haven’t spoken to him yet. Does the QS quote what the builders cost is? Or the price the builder should charge me?

Just got a price from a QS about my job. I hired the QS to cost the job. Haven’t spoken to him yet. Does the QS quote what the builders cost is? Or the price the builder should charge me?

The QS prices it for you. Prepares a BoQ to give to builders so they can price it.
    Some builders will be higher, some may be lower.

The QS price is an indication for you. Not a definitive price a builder will charge.

The QS prices it for you. Prepares a BoQ to give to builders so they can price it.
    Some builders will be higher, some may be lower.

The QS price is an indication for you. Not a definitive price a builder will charge.

Just to be clear, the QS assumes the price i pay the builder? Not the cost to the builder for doing the job, with which he’ll come up with his own price to charge me and factor in his profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Just to be clear, the QS assumes the price i pay the builder? Not the cost to the builder for doing the job, with which he’ll come up with his own price to charge me and factor in his profit?

Yes
    The builder is now going to give you a quote.
    The QS has previously given you an estimate.

Get the QS to review the quote to ensure everything you want is in it.
    Make no assumptions that items not listed are included in the builders quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 curlie-wurliexx

Please excuse my complete ignorance around this topic, but is it realistic to build a tiny (6m sq) extension for less than 15k? Also is this a job any builder would even bother taking on? We are coming into a little money shortly and have set aside some money for new kitchen but would be great to also have the option to move washing machine and tumble dryer out of there.

Scale of economies here and id say you will struggle to get it finished for 15k unless you can project manage it yourself, get the trades etc yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm looking to get a small rear extension, attic conversion, small front porch and several other smaller things done. Not even sure where to start, is it to try find an architect to draw up plans? We're in no rush so don't mind if it's 2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Crowley87

Anyone built a double height extension to their house recently? Trying to get a gauge of the m2 cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭willabur

We are looking at a house in Howth which is perfectly fine c3 rating but we want it to be our house for the next 20+ years. It is a bit dated in terms of its decor and its layout. It has ample space for a wrap around extension. Current size is 139sqm. A wrap around extension is 85 sqm, we are considering an additional 30 sqm upstairs. We would then need to renovate the existing structure.

My sums are assuming 3.5k per square metre for new structure and 1.5 for existing structure. That comes out at 600k plus before vat and fittings and the rest.

That seems like an absolute crazy number. Do the numbers make sense? How is any building getting done at all with these prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bfclancy2

ask yourself do you need a house that size, thats rather large for howth

Fair question but also not really the question I was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Well you are essentially doubling the size of the house. 600k seems about right.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bfclancy2

wasn't trying to be smart but this is a very large project and more complicated than building a house of this size from scratch, ask yourself what is really required and see if you can justify the cost of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You are probably better buy already a house that size in Howth, there are good few not shifting at the million plus

Living the life

There aren’t really. We’ve been to most of them. there are two pretty much directly behind the one we are considering. Both north facing. One of them has no garden at all and needs a huge amount of work

We like the one in Asgard because the site potential is huge. Garden space is lovely and the location is perfect. We understand it’s a big premium to pay but we do see it as a home for the next 20/25 years

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Unfortunately "Potential" costs a lot of money! If you have the money to do it and really like the area etc then go for it.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I would worry going near the house in Asgard. I believe the new construction of apartments near Ballyscaden will potentially disrupt the the foundations of the houses in Asgard. So definitely be careful with that. Otherwise the location is great.

Living the life

Advertisement