Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension - are we dreaming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

seclachi wrote: »
    I`m paying less than a third that figure for a full house, mind I have a few contacts in the industry who have helped me out. I hope you are referring to a full house here and not an extension, because how on earth would you ever expect anybody to extend when they maybe paying 20-30% of the extensions cost on an architect alone.

I would only be thinking of spending that kind of money if the house was quite unique, ie. Grass roof or stuff along that vien. I also think that 9k plans wont help turn a cowboy builder into a good builder, a chancer will always be looking for an opening.

I was referring to the poster who first mentioned the amount.
    In most cases the old saying holds true - you get what you pay for.
    Clients who demand high standards and competent work will pay appropriate fees.

Your comment about 9K plans suggests you missed the point.
    Plans are the record of the process of design, not only at the macro levels of "where the wall goes" and "what colour is the bathroom suite", but also at the working drawing level.
    Plans are the basis for the tender process and a good set of plans tie down a contractor, and justify themselves on making sure overruns are kept to a minimum.

People who claim to have industry contacts - and so understand what a builder does - may pay a builder an additional 5K for sundry extras, but because they may be unfamilar with the work done by professionals, may balk at paying for competent inspections that will prevent extras arising or discover/ helpavoid incompetent workmanship by the builder.

Its a false economy to unwisely ingratiate yourself with the builder in the hope this will encourage him to do good work for you.
    This may just allow him to pull the wool over your eyes where you've ended up relying on someone you should keep at a professional distance.
    This goes for your architect as well - professionals are there to provide a service and you should not allow them to become your family friend or drinking buddy.
    Some sociliasing may help encourage good communications, but too much will leave you feeling you cannot easily call your professional to account if he isn't performing well.

ONQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kfc1 wrote: »
    We are hoping to add on a 400 sq foot extension to our house. Am only really starting to work on fiqures now, but we are probably going to go the direct labour route. I have a fiqure of 20,000 EURO in my head - is this anyway realistic? We are in north county Wicklow. It is a kitchen that we are adding on and we wouldn't need any eletric work done as oh is electrician. I know this is quite vague but does anyone have any opinion on this fiqure (obviously not to include any interior fixtures & fittings)
    Thanks
    There is the topic. Debate it till the cows come home if you wish. I stickied this thread to generate debate on construction costs so lets stick to it.

muffler wrote: »
    There is the topic. Debate it till the cows come home if you wish. I stickied this thread to generate debate on construction costs so lets stick to it.

Thanks Muffler.
    (Originally by kfc1)---
    We are hoping to add on a 400 sq foot extension to our house. Am only really starting to work on fiqures now, but we are probably going to go the direct labour route. I have a fiqure of 20,000 EURO in my head - is this anyway realistic? We are in north county Wicklow. It is a kitchen that we are adding on and we wouldn't need any eletric work done as oh is electrician. I know this is quite vague but does anyone have any opinion on this fiqure (obviously not to include any interior fixtures & fittings)
    Thanks

€20,000 for a 400 sq ft /37.2 sqm extension is €50/sqft or €538.22/sqm for a finished, heated and serviced habitable living area built in compliance with the building regulations and that inlcudes Part L.

I don't think that's realistic or a good use of your money - you appear to be maxing your area based on what may be allowed under the exempted development limits, as opposed to what you can afford.

You may end up building *something* of around 400 sqft for that price, but I doubt if it will be compliant and you will have nobody competent to issue an Opinion that it is compliant should you choose to sell on at some point.

The savings from not having to build one wall will be offset by the costs of the steel joist(s) you will install to open out the existing house and the costs of partial demolition, propping, marrying in new to existing foundations roofs/walls etc. and you will have all the diseconomies of building a single storey building in terms of the foundations vs supported floor areas.

If your house has been extended previously, with permission or under the exempted development legislation your new extention even if wholly compliant in all the other ways, may take the plan over the exempted development limit and may require planning permission.
    You should check this before you begin as disruption by an order to cease work to even a drect labour contract will tend to raise costs overall, for example scaffold hire, plant hire, concrete deliveries disrupted, etc.

Unless you are entirely detached and building entirely behind your house [not ot the side] you may have to put time into achieving a planning permission and negotiating with neighbours.

If you are going the direct labour self build route you are taking on the responsibilities of a Contractor under the Safety Health and Welfare Regulations and if you have not used somebody qualified or trained in design you may also be taking on board the responsibilities of the Designer too.

You will find some useful and informative links about your duties under the legislation in the Self-Build FAQ currently being written at:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=126261

If you wish to avoid these onerous responsibilities you may wish to engage a contractor and a designer both of which will add to the €20,000 budget.

I would strongly advise cutting your cloth to suit your measure, perhaps reduce the area by 25%-50%.
    While the builder is on site put some money into insulating your home with some of the new grants.
    You might get a good deal on replacement windows and external insulation for the main house.

You will have to supply a BER Cert should you choose to sell or rent the property at a later stage and money spent on insulation will cut your fuels bills.
    While you're at it, pay someone competent a couple of grand to draw up the plans, negotiate with builders and issue Opinions when complete.

The total finished package may not be as grand as you might wish for right now.
    However it will be; -
    • cheaper to heat,
    • buildable within your budget
    • properly covered by Opinions of Compliance and
    • future-proofed against the BER Cert requirements
    You know it makes sense.

HTH

ONQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bricky jnr

I joined this forum because your chat is something that I have an interest in.

I am currently in the process of building a new house in Wexford, and like yourselves I have had a lot of concerns about the costs I should be paying to get it built.
    In October I went to a building show in C&D providers (Wexford) where I met a company <SNIP> - they went through everything with me that I wanted for my house.
    They built a building specification through a few meetings, gave me a really detailed value for all the materials, did a cost risk analysis, offered suggestions to reduce my costs, told me exactly the labour costs and a few other things I didn't expect. They compiled tender documents for me which I sent out to a few builders for quotes.
    But anyway the cost of my House per square foot based on what I wanted is €94.
    Check out their website - <SNIP>
    hope this is of use to you.

Mod Edit: The following is taken from this forum Charter:

The forum shall not be used by anyone for the purpose of personal gain by promoting/advertising their (or others) products or services or. This includes user names. Users may in certain circumstances state what their particular trade/profession is but repeated references to this will result in a ban from the forum.

For your first post, you come on here recommending a specific company. Infraction given.

bricky jnr wrote: »
    Well you wouldn't be the first to come here recommending a company.
    I am currently in the process of building a new house in Wexford, and like yourselves I have had a lot of concerns about the costs I should be paying to get it built.
    In October I went to a building show in C&D providers (Wexford) where I met a company <SNIP> - they went through everything with me that I wanted for my house.
    That sounds like an interesting show and within striking distance of Dublin where I live.
    Do they have a website or do you have any more details of the hosting company?
    They built a building specification through a few meetings, gave me a really detailed value for all the materials, did a cost risk analysis, offered suggestions to reduce my costs, told me exactly the labour costs and a few other things I didn't expect.
    A cost risk analysis for a new house - what's that then?
    They compiled tender documents for me which I sent out to a few builders for quotes.
    Did they supply the plans as well or did you have them already drawn up and by whom?
    I know what they advise on the website, I'm finding out whether they or you dod them.
    If another firm, others might like to use them if you're going to give out recommendations.
    Check out their website - <SNIP>
    hope this is of use to you.
    If you're talking to them again you might point out to them that "Principal" is spelt "al" and not "le" in relation to persons.
    "Principle" is a policy you adopt, often based in a moral context and is used incorrectly here:
    <SNIP>

HTH

ONQ.

• Advertisement

No you didnt. You joined to shill a business - perhaps your own.

I am currently in the process of building a new house in Wexford
    And you are allegedly building in Wexford and the company you are shilling are in Wexford also. Odd that isnt it?

Get outa here you chancer. I can build locally for 30% cheaper than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bricky jnr

ah now muffler, the first bit of communication we have and you put yourself up as cynic, tut tut tut!
    Seriously though, how can you honestly suggest that it is co-incidental or "odd" that a person who lives in Wexford would use a company from Wexford to build their house, your just being silly.
    As regards the cost, is it possible that you are slightly generaliseing to suggest that you can get my house built for 30% less (€65.80 per square foot) without first knowing what the specification will be.
    If you're not and you can guarantee me it can be done for your price, irregardless of specification, I am very interested.
    But I think you may well be just trying to pull my leg a little!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Troll gets a ban.
    Back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jaycan

what would be the rough costs of a single story A roof extension from the back of a 3 bed semi roughly 5 metres by 4 metres less the costs of plumbing and wiring

Depends on location. if you were building here in Donegal Id say you would be looking at a price of around €600 - €700/m2. However if you were in Dublin the price would probably run up to €1000 or more per m2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jaycan

yeah we're in north wicklow so may as well be saying dublin prices, thats not to bad , i'm a sparks and i know a good plumber and plasterer, i just want someone to get it out of the ground and make it weather tight with the windows and roof and any steel work that would be involved . would involve the demolition i'd say of a small annex type extension thats part of the original house only about 2 metres by 2 metres

Sorry I forgot to add that (a) the figures given would be a contract sum so you could deduct a bit for the plumbing & wiring and (b) you could shave up to 15% of the figure if you are going down the direct labour route.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Boosterseat

Am planning a single storey extension to our kitchen/dining room - sunroom effect I suppose. Am in County Cork. Dimensions are approx 14sq ft.

Anyone any general ideas on prices - average price per square foot?

Its nothing too fancy, its not going to be glass all round or anything, just large window to front and rear and patio door to side.

Would be grateful for any inspiring ideas.

Thanks,

Boosterseat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Booster, have you ever extended the house before? I ask as you may not need planning and a route of getting a conservatory company to price the whole lot could be a cheap route. (although I would not recommend it as a route)

tba wrote: »
    Booster, have you ever extended the house before? I ask as you may not need planning and a route of getting a conservatory company to price the whole lot could be a cheap route. (although I would not recommend it as a route)
    No, havent extended before. I think we might be under the planning size exemption but architect recommended going for planning as was to the side of the house and visible from the road, just to be safe.

Why would you not recommend a conservatory company, as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I have no problem with conservatory companies, I was suggesting you should not go the solo route and hire them to do it all for you, I would suggest professional advice, which you have!

I would agree with your architect as to the planning as it is to the side of the house.

As for price you will need to look at the high end of the scale for price/sqm as it is quite a small extension.

I assume you are breaking through the external wall so the new area enlarges an existing room?

tba wrote: »
    I have no problem with conservatory companies, I was suggesting you should not go the solo route and hire them to do it all for you, I would suggest professional advice, which you have!

I would agree with your architect as to the planning as it is to the side of the house.

As for price you will need to look at the high end of the scale for price/sqm as it is quite a small extension.

I assume you are breaking through the external wall so the new area enlarges an existing room?
    Thanks tba. Correct, need to go through one existing external wall - people tell me you can build the extension initially and blow through/join up at the end to minimise disruption. I note the point about having to price it at the high end of the scale, thanks for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 flynners2010

Hi,

Was looking to build the following extension:

Any ideas what kind of cost we would be looking at?

Thanks.

• NEW BUILD TO REAR 5.6M X 4.1 (20.14 sq mtrs floor area)
    • REMOVE BACK WALL OF HOUSE AND INSERT STEEL SUPPORTS
    • WHITE PVC DOORS,WINDOWS AND FACIA,SOFFIT AND GUTTERING
    • FINISHED CONCRETE FLOOR
    • 125mm PUMPED INSULATED CAVITY
    • STEEL SUPPORTS TO ROOF
    • 2 NO 780mmX980mm VELUX WINDOWS
    • INSULATED SLAB AND INSULATION TO VAULTED CEILING SPACE
    • 1 NO DOUBLE RADIATOR TO EXTENSION
    • 1NO SINGLE RAD TO UTILITY
    • NEW BACK DOOR TO UTILITY
    • MOVE WINDOW IN DOWNSTAIRS TOILET
    • REARRANGE TOILET TO DOWNSTAIRS
    • CLOSE UP DOOR TO TOILET
    • PROVIDE ACCESS DOOR TO UNDERSIDE OF STAIRS
    • REMOVE BLOCK WALL TO TOILET
    • PROVIED STUDD WALL TO NEW UTILITY
    • REUSE EXISTING DOORS
    • 3 DOUBLE SOCKETS ,3 LIGHT PENDANTS AND I EXTERIOR LIGHT TO REAR
    • 1ST AND 2ND FIX CARPENTRY
    • SOIL LEVELLED TO REAR TO ACCOMADATE LAWN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Hey, Im looking for a rough guide price for a 210 sq ft extension, both will be bedrooms, going on the back of the house so a flat roof/slightly angled roof is an option.
    It would be 4m x5.3m, 1 wall of the existing house will need to be knocked through, its 3.1m long, also 2 doors will need to be put in through another wall (currently the rear of the house is L shaped, the extension will make it a block), fully plastered, insulated and 4 elec points in each room

The added extras (not a necessity) will be french doors going from 1 of the rooms to the garden, would like to have an open ceiling, not sure what the proper term is but I would like for there to be no ceiling but just a roof, ie you get to see the rafters.

Im on the Wicklow, Wexford border

Im not sure what other info is needed

Cheers, and I would be going by direct labour

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hairyslug wrote: »
    Hey, Im looking for a rough guide price for a 210 sq ft extension, both will be bedrooms, going on the back of the house so a flat roof/slightly angled roof is an option.
    It would be 4m x5.3m, 1 wall of the existing house will need to be knocked through, its 3.1m long, also 2 doors will need to be put in through another wall (currently the rear of the house is L shaped, the extension will make it a block), fully plastered, insulated and 4 elec points in each room

The added extras (not a necessity) will be french doors going from 1 of the rooms to the garden, would like to have an open ceiling, not sure what the proper term is but I would like for there to be no ceiling but just a roof, ie you get to see the rafters.

Im on the Wicklow, Wexford border

Im not sure what other info is needed

Cheers, and I would be going by direct labour

A Vaulted Ceiling? Love 'em.

Welcome to boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 LazyPianist

Hi,

I'm thinking of having the following done to my house

(a) my garage converted to a one storey living room complete with an en suite shower and toilet.
    (b) my kitchen extended
    (c) entire house re-wired
    (d) new windows for entire house
    (e) new bath and power shower in existing toliet.

The extension to the kitchen will have a total area of 135 sq.ft
    The garage has an area of approximately 200 sq.ft

a preliminary estimate (based on my own calcs) is:

(a) Kitchen extension - 14,000 euro ( roughly 100 euro per square foot ) for building shell i.e. concrete, rsj, tiled lean to roof, wall parapet to house box gully rw drain ; 8,000 for new kitchen units installed and fitted, complete with appliances such as dryer, washing machine, fridge. sub total = 22,000 euro

(b) Garage conversion - 20,000 ( just a rough estimate based on 100 euro per square foot ), lean to roof. sub total = 20,000 euro

(c) between 4,000 and 5,000 on re-wiring existing house plus 2,000 for wiring extension and converted garage, sub total = 7,000

(d) about 10,000 for supply and fit out of pvc windows (8No. existing replaced with new windows, 1No. new window for converted garage, 1No. new window for kitchen extension plus 1No. veelux window in kitchen extension roof. sub total =10,000

(e) 2,000 for supply and fit out of new bath and new power shower. sub total = 2,000

I may also require new laminated floor boards fitted on the existing floor boards in the existing kitchen plus a new ceiling in the kitchen itself (extension plus existing ). I figure this would cost 2,000 euro. Tiling will be required in the new kitchen so I rounded this off to about 1,500 based in prices of tiles and estimated labour costs ( floor and walls would be tiled, floor area = 135 square ft ). sub total = 3,500 euro

That brought me to a grand total = 64,500 euro

I've also considered having the garage converted into 2 stories. I'm concerned about the potential costs of having to under pin foundations, if the existing foundations could not support two stories. If I were to go ahead and convert the garage into a two storey extension, then I wouldn't bother with the kitchen extension, as one storey of the converted garage would become a dining area.

I have 70,000 euro to spend.

Anyone fancy criticising the above in terms of costing ? Anyone got any advice ? I'll probably need to get planning permission for the garage conversion. I don't think I'll need an architect, as it's a small job, and I can have any drawings done on CAD.

What do you guys think ? Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

May sound like a silly question LazyPianist but where are you located?

Prices do vary considerably in different parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LazyPianist

muffler wrote: »
    May sound like a silly question LazyPianist but where are you located?

Prices do vary considerably in different parts of the country.

Hi muffler.

I'm in the tallaght area - the nice part :D- in South West Dublin.
    :)

Oh I know Tallaght from socialising the odd time down the years. Used to have the odd drink or 15 in the Foxes Covert or a good few down the road in the Cuckoo's nest :D

Unfortunately (for you, not me ;)) Im in Donegal so I really wouldnt want to hazard a guess at the pricing in that neck of the woods but hang in there and Im sure you will get a few replies from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

We are thinking of putting an extension onto our house, a bedroom/ensuite and maybe extending the living area with a sunroom. Its an old house so the external wall that has to knocked through is deep.

We have a budget of 40k and I am wondering is this a realistic price to get the build done? Including architects fees.

The house is on the Cavan/Monaghan border.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 P3t3roc

Yes you are dreaming. There is no way you will build an extension of that size for the amount of money you are talking about. Think about it, you have to employ people to do work on your house extension who are trained to do their particular trade and do it properly. Yes you will get it done cheap if thats what you want but not to a very good standard. So cop on and pay for good service. Save up and get it done right

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kfc1

P3t3roc wrote: »
    Yes you are dreaming. There is no way you will build an extension of that size for the amount of money you are talking about. Think about it, you have to employ people to do work on your house extension who are trained to do their particular trade and do it properly. Yes you will get it done cheap if thats what you want but not to a very good standard. So cop on and pay for good service. Save up and get it done right

Perhaps it is you P3t3roc who should cop on! - why not read the thread before posting unhelpful replies:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 portlady

you seem to be on the money there and could be lucky enough to have over estimated on many eg garage. good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

P3t3roc wrote: »

You can get it done on the cheap and also get a 1st class finish and service.

You obviously have never heard of putting a house build/extension/renovation out to "TENDER" before then.judging by your smart ar5e post.:rolleyes:

I think that its YOU who needs to COP ON here.

I saved an absolute fortune by doing this and got a brilliant job done for the money.I had full spec 10 page long written quotes (fully detailed breakdowns with exact prices for all the various parts of the build and trades services,demolishion,stripping out,ground works,fountations,steelworks,glazing and doors,electrical,plumbing,insulation,carpentry,tiling,kitchen fitters,bathrooms,stove and chimney fitters etc etc) from 15 different builders who were very eager to get my job/tender.:)

Got the entire original house completely gutted back to 4 bare walls and a bare roof timbers(absolutely nothing left inside,even the ceilings and 1st floors and staircases were ripped out and skipped),complete existing house rebuild/renovation,new large 2 storey extension,front porch, and a good few extras all done on the original budget by putting the project out to tender.Basicly I got a big/large new house built to a fantastic turnkey finish (everything done,ready to live in).Got the kitchen and marble floors I have allways wanted and the open plan living area I have allways wanted too

I even had the money saved (thanks to tender process) to employ a structural engineer and architect friend of mine to be on site and fully over see that the work was being done exactly to the tender specifications and was being done correctly too.
    I still had enough money left (difference between my original budget and the actual tender price ) to have a lovely block built and rendered garage with leccy garage doors UPVC windows and door and water/power built too.

So I did get the best bang for my buck,in the end,by going the route of tendering.

PS_For anyone not in the know.....a tender means that you (the client) puts your job description down on paper listing EVERYTHING that you want done,and then you invite builders and contractors to come and put in a full written quotation for the build/work to be done.

When you are happy with the builder you pick,the builder signs up to a written specification (legally binding once both signatures are on the tender sign off sheet) and HAS to bring all the work and trades skills in on the tender price/budget.He MUST get all the work done for the price that he has written down on his tender application/quotation to you.Any unforseen extras or work are the builders problem,not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

paddy147 wrote: »
    You can get it done on the cheap and also get a 1st class finish and service.

You obviously have never heard of putting a house build/extension/renovation out to "TENDER" before then.judging by your smart ar5e post.:rolleyes:

I think that its YOU who needs to COP ON here.

I saved an absolute fortune by doing this and got a brilliant job done for the money.I had full spec 10 page long written quotes (fully detailed breakdowns with exact prices for all the various parts of the build and trades services,demolishion,stripping out,ground works,fountations,steelworks,glazing and doors,electrical,plumbing,insulation,carpentry,tiling,kitchen fitters,bathrooms,stove and chimney fitters etc etc) from 15 different builders who were very eager to get my job/tender.:)

Got the entire original house completely gutted back to 4 bare walls and a bare roof timbers(absolutely nothing left inside,even the ceilings and 1st floors and staircases were ripped out and skipped),complete existing house rebuild/renovation,new large 2 storey extension,front porch, and a good few extras all done on the original budget by putting the project out to tender.Basicly I got a big/large new house built to a fantastic turnkey finish (everything done,ready to live in).Got the kitchen and marble floors I have allways wanted and the open plan living area I have allways wanted too

I even had the money saved (thanks to tender process) to employ a structural engineer and architect friend of mine to be on site and fully over see that the work was being done exactly to the tender specifications and was being done correctly too.
    I still had enough money left (difference between my original budget and the actual tender price ) to have a lovely block built and rendered garage with leccy garage doors UPVC windows and door and water/power built too.

So I did get the best bang for my buck,in the end,by going the route of tendering.

PS_For anyone not in the know.....a tender means that you (the client) puts your job description down on paper listing EVERYTHING that you want done,and then you invite builders and contractors to come and put in a full written quotation for the build/work to be done.

When you are happy with the builder you pick,the builder signs up to a written specification (legally binding once both signatures are on the tender sign off sheet) and HAS to bring all the work and trades skills in on the tender price/budget.He MUST get all the work done for the price that he has written down on his tender application/quotation to you.Any unforseen extras or work are the builders problem,not yours.

you make some good points and good advise, but your last point is way off. unforeseen extras and work are the builders cost? that would in no way ever stick. if its unforeseen, how can a builder legislate for that cost? it would be a more than acceptable variation. and unforeseen work? if thing have to be changed say due to planning or something like that, the builder is entitled to a variation in cost. it will be on the client to pay for any unforeseen extras. if I was a builder, and I hit rock in the foundation dig and there was no engineers report (which there rarely is for domestic one offs), I would want paying for a rock breaker. just because it is unforeseen, does not make it the builders responsibility.

Advertisement