Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

concrete grooving ?

• 12-08-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

having lost a few cows doing the splits i am going to get the passageways grooved , does anyone know what it entails ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

presume its a kinda pattern cut out with a consaw or something like that maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Got this done a few years ago before we converted the shed to slats, a guy with a consaw and a wheel attachment runs along a straight edge, i.e. group, or cubicle isle, we lost 3 in total when we were milking, 2 with splits and 1 with a broken jaw, puts a groove about 6mm deep into the concrete, ours was cut the lenght of the shed about 3 inches apart, and then were crossed over, leaving 3inch squares of concrete, hope this makes sense, we dug it out after, so I don't have any pictures, but was a great success, will have to do it on some floors soon, we find the yardscraper to be the biggeest offender in smoothing out the floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

a temporary solution is to power wash the concrete, then spray with Chlorus (either neat or lightly diluted) leave for a few hours & then power hose again.

might be a little severe on the concrete especially if it is old.

Also if we see a cow tending to slip, we run her into the crate, lifts her hind legs & run a few grooves with a hoof knife in the bottom of the hoof, usually do this with a lady which be a bit wobbly after calving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

sisu200 how much did it cost and did it work well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

You can rent those machines from most tool hire shops - both handheld con-saws and the mounted ones. I don't have a catalogue with me but I think the handhelds are in the 15-20 euro per day range and the mounted ones are in the 40-60 per day range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Man at the Tullamore show had a stand offering such services. Can't remember his name but I'm sure the organisers may have a contact....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

whelan1 wrote: »
    sisu200 how much did it cost and did it work well

it cost between 3 and 400 euro, it was done in a day, but you can hire a consaw on wheels and you could jig it to do it yourself as said above, it was a few years since we got it done, will have a look and see if I can find the receipt;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

keep an eye on journal, I think I have seen guys advertising this service

Advertisement