Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Network printer to laptop via Cat5 cable

Options
  • 12-08-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi All. I need some advice.

I have got my hands on a HP Laserjet 4600n. Unfortunitally it did not have the serial connection cable included and my laptop only suppoers USB.

I am trying to find a method of connecting this printer to my laptop.

I also have a Edimax 3G Broadband Router & Printer Server. But I am unsure if the printer server supports a network connection as opposed to a USB printer connection.

I do not know much about networking, so can anyone suggest how I should connect the printer up.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

seeing as you have a 4600n, you should be able to plug it into your router using CAT5/RJ45 cable/plugs, and it should get an IP address by DHCP/BOOTP - more info here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=ie&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=74301&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=74301&objectID=bpl11567
    you can check the assigned ip address by printing a status page from the printer menu - it should have an ip along the lines of 192.168.x.x - try putting the address into a web browser to double check youve got connectivity from pc to printer. no need to worry about the edimax having a print server feature - your print has that functionality built in already!

Then, you should be able to add a new printer in windows - i think the terminology for the wizard is add printer -> local printer > add port -> standard tcp/ip port - you supply the ip address that the edimax gives it here, and for the port number it's usually something like 9100...have a gander at the getting started guide here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=ie&docIndexId=64902&taskId=115&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=74301#3

you then need to install the print driver, available from here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=ie&prodNameId=77519&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=74301&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

Hey Dardania,

Thanks for the greatly needed reply. This is starting to turn into a pulling my hair out effort.

My printers details are as follows:

IP address is: 192.0.0.192
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.0.0.192

I went out yesterday and bought one of these as I thought I needed.

Then I connected the printer to the FS108 with a RJ45, and connected the FS108 to my laptop with another RJ45. Then following instructions I tried to install the printers using windows XP Add Printer Wizard similar to your suggestion above. No joy!!:confused: Tried to ping 192.0.0.192 but timed out.

After seeing your post this morning I have tried connecting the printer to the "No 1" port on my Edimax Router with a RJ45 and entered the IP address "192.0.0.192" into a web browser but not getting any connection.

As the printer has given me the IP address as above, this surly must be correct or is it? I have read the instructions from your links but do not know what I am doing wrong.

Appreciate an other suggestion you might have.

Thanks in advance...

Jon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Hi Jon,

First of all you don't need the network lan switch as your edimax has one built in - sorry you wasted your money!

Regarding your printer having an IP address of 192.0.0.192, what that appears to be is a default one it assigns itself after a hard reset to factory defualts, when it's not plugged into a network with a DHCP server. You can't connect to the printer in a web browser at the moment as your laptop is likely in a different subnet (something along the lines of 192.168.1.xxx - which means it can only communicate with devices in the same subnet)
    What you need to do is get the printer to have an IP address in the same subnet as your laptop.
    According to HP, the easiest way to do that is you must conduct a hard reset of the printer to factory defualts while it is plugged into a network with a DHCP server - when the printer restarts it looks for a DHCP server to give it a new IP (hopefully in the same subnet as your laptop!)

Give it a shot - this page seems to give guidance:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpj02738&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=27905&prodTypeId=18972

they mention this:
    Most HP printers with internal HP Jetdirect print servers can be reset to factory defaults (or cold-reset) by turning the printer off and holding down the ONLINE or GO buttons while turning the printer back on. The printer's control panel display should read Cold Reset or Restoring Factory Settings . If the printer has no LCD display, the indicator lights will cycle.

and this:
    Bootstrap Protocol (BootP)
    When the printer or HP Jetdirect print server is turned on for the first time or when it is reset to factory defaults, the HP Jetdirect print server broadcasts BootP and DHCP requests. BootP is a bootstrap protocol used to automatically download an IP address and other TCP/IP parameters from a network server. The computer with the proper BootP configuration sends the TCP/IP information to the HP Jetdirect print server. Consult the documentation of the particular operating system to set up BootP on the computer.
    Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
    When the printer or HP Jetdirect print server is turned on for the first time or when it is reset to factory defaults, the HP Jetdirect print server broadcasts BootP and DHCP requests. DHCP is similar to BootP in that it automatically downloads an IP address from a network server. However, DHCP servers maintain a fixed set of IP addresses and only loan an IP address to the print server. Whenever the printer is turned off and on, there is no guarantee that an HP Jetdirect print server will be assigned the same IP address over time, although the DHCP server will attempt to do so. Consult the documentation of the particular operating system to set up DHCP on the computer.

hopefully it can get an accessible ip address then you can go back and add the printer in windows

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

Hi Dardania,

A million thanks for your help. It was the IP address. A Cold Reset did the job and picked up the Laptops IP address.

Thanks again:D

Advertisement