Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D40 on Ebay.ie

• 12-08-2009 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,
    After some research I've decided I'd like a D40 as a nice entry level DSLR. It seem to have everything Id need as a noob and the price is right.

There is a seller on ebay, who claims to be based in Dublin, I have his mobile, apparently we can meet and I can buy in cash of him. I would have been willing to buy second hand, depending on the seller, so a cash deal for a new one appeals.

Price is €375 for brand new Nikon D40, with ED 18-55 lens, Camera is in box apparently and he has 3 of them for sale.

Camera comes with a european warrently card apparently.

What are the downsides to this deal ? If the camera dies in a week I guess I'm up shot creek, but the camera should be under warranty ..

Is this Camera likely to be from Hong Kong for example ?
    Is that a problem ?
    Are there fakes out there ?
    Any other obvious downsides Im missing ?
    Anyone, by any chance bought of this seller ? ( I wont name him .. )

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Check adverts first. I sold a d40x plus one of those lenses for 250, I think you could buy new for close to 400 from argos afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Seems a bit pricey for the d40, would be okay if it was the d40x
    d40 is old model now, 6 megapixels is kind of low, nikon is a good brand and all but still seems a bit much for an oldish model from private seller

eg. I know its not nikon but to compare 10 megapixel sony here is 350 in store
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-25-RA200K&pages=5&prod=RA200K&brands=SONY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jamesonandcoke

I bought my Nikon D40 from here http://www.calumetphoto.com/

It's a great entry level camera.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

+1 for adverts..

Great deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Good camera for a starter but €375 does seem expensive. I bought mine brand new over 12 months ago for €400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I saw them in a camera magazine for 249 sterling recently.

IMO its getting a bit long in the tooth for a new camera nowdays :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Actually saw this in a shop for 399 today. So i'd say you could get alot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Actually saw this in a shop for 399 today. So i'd say you could get alot cheaper.

where abouts did ya see it for that? i thought they've been discontinued in shops.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ridel

d40 is old model now, 6 megapixels is kind of low, nikon is a good brand and all but still seems a bit much for an oldish model from private seller

D40x wasn't out for very long and was then discontinued, D40 is actually meant to a better camera ...
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    SeanyMc22 wrote: »
    where abouts did ya see it for that? i thought they've been discontinued in shops.?

I'd be interested to know too ?

Thanks for the replies, as far as I know they have been discontinued, Im pretty comfortable with the price seller is asking for a brand new one. They were about the same price as this on Amazon up until 2 months ago, now they are disoncontinued, 3rd party resellers are looking for €570 .. which is D60 money ..

Does anyone have any input on buying from an ebayer in person ? How many different ways can I get ripped off ?

The guy from ebay also had an ad on aderts but its seems to have been removed ..

I found a D40 on DID.ie for an extra €15..Id go wit this instead of the ebay lad tbh..http://www.buy4now.ie/DID/Product/D40KITNIKON%206MP%20DIGITAL%20SLR%20CAMERA/16444/372
    Im tied between the Nikon D40 and the Sony A200, Im starting to lean towards the Sony as I think your just paying extra for the Nikon name..

am I wrong to think like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I got mine new from amazon before christmas for under €300 as far as I can remember - seems I bought at the right time!

Yup - £228 was what I paid, with the kit lens 18-55mm. Mad that the price has gone up to £550.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ridel

I got mine new from amazon before christmas for under €300 as far as I can remember - seems I bought at the right time!

Yup - £228 was what I paid, with the kit lens 18-55mm. Mad that the price has gone up to £550.
    ok, thanks, you got yours very cheap alright, £550 is crazy money, apparently its heading for 'classic' status ... I might take my chances with ebay lad or splash a bit more cash and wait a month for the D60's replacement . .decisions decisions ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

D40 is awesome (most people will attest to me saying that I'm a huge proponent of the little camera)...that price does seem high though, maybe not (I'd want around 250 for mine if I sell it - that's not going to happen though ;) )

+3 to the adverts - many people buy the D40 and find that dSLR photography is not for them and want to get rid of the equipment at quite cheap prices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

SeanyMc22 wrote: »

It was cameraworld in cork I think, probably old stock or something.

eg. I know its not nikon but to compare 10 megapixel sony here is 350 in store
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-25-RA200K&pages=5&prod=RA200K&brands=SONY

Im stepping into DSLR after havin a solid 35mm film for years and many compacts.. im very tempted by this Sony A200...has anyone ever used one? or should i splash a lil more for the A300 with live view or the Nikon D60?

Also what lenses will fit on the Sony's am I tying my self into only a certain few? I know about the D60's where you can only Manual focus on third party lenses, any opinions welcomed

Advertisement