Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Advice

Options
  • 12-08-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Guys,

Need some help! Moving out of my house & breaking a 1yr lease - have given proper written notice to landlord. They've found a new tenant but at a lower rent - they now expect me to fork out the difference in rent each month until the end of my lease!?! this is madness as I thought my lease would be terminated if they found a new tenant.

I've been trying to get thro to threshold to get advice but no luck.

Anyone share some light on this?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

When you sign a lease for 1 year you are giving the landlord a promise that you are staying for a year and will pay the rent, and in return he guarantees not to increase your rent or throw you out.

When rents are increasing this tends to benefit the tenant more than the landlord, when rents are decreasing it tends to benefit the landlord more than the tenant.

(Note; in the long term, rents tend to increase, so leases generally benefit tenants more than landlords.)

You didn't hold up your part of the deal, so the landlord should not be out of pocket.

Perhaps you could negotiate the amount with the landlord, OR offer to find a tenant for him that will pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

jeditor wrote: »
    this is madness as I thought my lease would be terminated if they found a new tenant.

Unfortunately for you, what your 'think' versus a legally binding contract are not always the same thing. You are obliged to pay the difference. Heck, if the landlord couldn't get a new tenant, he can pursue you for the full amount to lease expiration (and he probably would).

It's highly unlikely you could find a tenant willing to pay more than those the landlord has found already and I'm sure the Landlord is not going to risk losing that tenant.

If you broke the lease 'just cause your thought you could', well, you were foolish. In the real world contracts are there for a reason. Count yourself lucky, learn from your experience and pay up the difference. It may not seem nice but you broke the contract.

Negotiation is indeed an option but if the Landlord doesn't want that then the Landlord can & will get the full amount from you whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Both of the above are correct.

In short, You are still liable for the difference if you signed a one year lease.

Advertisement