Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Ostrich "Medallions"

Options
  • 12-08-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up some frozen Ostrich "Medallions" in Aldi at the weekend, and I'm going to try them this evening.

They look a bit like very lean steak.

Each one is about 8 inches long, 2 inches wide and about an inch thick.

Does anyone have any tips on what way to cook them? (I took one out this morning to defrost).

I'm thinking of having them with cabbage and some roast veg.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Deswaldo me auld flower (no idea why I'm talking like that).

Treat them like a fillet of beef.

I'd go with 60 seconds each side on an extremely hot pan and then into the oven at 180 for 10 minutes and then rest for about 10 minutes somewhere warm.

All but the leg can be eaten rareish, I'd go for medium rare myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That's what I was going to do alright. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Nicest meat I have ever eaten, had it for a Christmas party at a savage place called Carrygerry House Hotel in Clare.

Like Seaneh says it was served like a fillet beef steak but was oh so soft and tender.

nyom nyom nyom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

In Aldi?!?! OMG that's brilliant!! How much are they in there? I've only ever found them in the English Market in Cork before and they're about 6 or 7 euro a medallion. But God are they worth it.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread........:D

number10a wrote: »
    In Aldi?!?! OMG that's brilliant!! How much are they in there? I've only ever found them in the English Market in Cork before and they're about 6 or 7 euro a medallion. But God are they worth it.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread........:D

You should read this thread ;)

They were, iirc, €5.99 for two, frozen as I said.

They also had venison burgers, which I also picked up, but have yet to try.

I'll report back here after me dinner :D

I kind of want to do something "different" with the second one.

• Advertisement

Just realised you said it's about 1 inch thick.

Recude the oven time by half.

if you left it for 10 minutes it would be medium-well
    5 minutes and it will be medium rare. 7 minutes will give you medium.

Always rest it for 10 minutes like any steak (sure I'm sure you knew that).

Cheers.

Do you think it will shrivel up much?

It would if you cooked it for a long time at a high heat.

pan and then oven means it wont, it behaves kinda like duck meat, it gets a little smaller but nothing major.

So, how were they?

Absolutely delicious. :D

I did the hot pan for a minute a side, whack into the oven for five minutes method.

These things are extremely lean, and very very tender. The closest taste I can compare them to is Venison.

I had them with some left over boiled baby potatoes, fried. Some roast carrot, onion and tomato.

(I had a head of cabbage I was going to cook too, but I bloody forgot about it :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Same as yourself Des, I got the ostrich and the venison.

I cooked the burgers from frozen on the grill (I was in a hurry and the package said to do it) but they came out a bit dry.

Next time I'll defrost them first and grill them for a bit less time. They were OK but could have been a lot better so I'll cross me fingers.

I've had ostrich before and it's delicious so I'm looking forward to Saturday night. I think a whiskey gravy and sauteed potatoes will do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

Got the Aldi ones a couple week back...

Am I the only one who thinks they were vile?? Everyone else says they're yummy and it was like steak, but to me they were completely over powering!
    It was such a strong flavour, like eating really salty liver, unlike anything I've ever had.
    Never ever eating them again :(

jigglywoo wrote: »
    Got the Aldi ones a couple week back...

Am I the only one who thinks they were vile?? Everyone else says they're yummy and it was like steak, but to me they were completely over powering!
    It was such a strong flavour, like eating really salty liver, unlike anything I've ever had.
    Never ever eating them again :(

Do you have any left over in your freezer that I could have :pac:

Serioulsy though, how did you cook them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'm having these tonight for the first time. They're currently in the oven in a puy lentil and red wine casserole and the smells coming from the kitchen are AMAZING. Can't wait to get my chops around them... I shall report back in approx. two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I'm having these tonight for the first time. They're currently in the oven in a puy lentil and red wine casserole and the smells coming from the kitchen are AMAZING. Can't wait to get my chops around them... I shall report back in approx. two hours.

but he never did . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

Des wrote: »
    I picked up some frozen Ostrich "Medallions" in Aldi at the weekend, and I'm going to try them this evening.
    I saw those, but declined.
    I think I will purchase next time.
    I have heard good reports on Ostrich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Ostrich is the business

Advertisement