Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorce Solicitor in Galway City

Options
  • 12-08-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My mum wants to separate from my dad asap, he's been an absolute nightmare for as long as i can remember and all us kids are fully supportive of her. She wants to use someone who has come with a personal recommendation, but isn't close to anyone who is divorced/separated so can't ask anyone. I was wondering if anyone (ladies preferrably!) could recommend a solicitor for this purpose? she will also be in need of a protection order as it is likely to get messy but I assume this is not too out of the ordinary? there are negative comments about quite a few of the galway solicitors on the web but I wonder if this could be disgruntled partners??
    would be grateful for any help i can get on this matter :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's nothing fast about divorce or separation, bringing solicitors into the equation is only going to slow the process down as they do everything they can to get as much money out of both parties. It's unavoidable, especially in this case from the sounds of things but she shouldn't expect a result any time in the next year or so. My parents separation has been dragging on for years now and both sides just want done with each other (they even live in different countries and have new partners) but the solicitors just keep going back and over dragging it out for their own benefit.

She should however go live her life and not worry about the legality of it if she can. If shes separated in her head that's all that really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭calculator

it's the protection order that is the most urgent bit i suppose - it is almost definite that he will (for want of a better word) stalk her as her plan is just to be gone one day when he gets home from work. he has a history of domestic violence (that only stopped when she took out a previous protection order) and it is possible that he will become violent again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Go straight to the guards, do it today there's no point in holding out. If there was anyway you could get a good show of support (lots of family) to help her move out and show him that she's got plenty of people looking out for her it could help show him he's outnumbered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ScumLord wrote: »
    the solicitors just keep going back and over dragging it out for their own benefit.

+1 . If they think she has money they will often see her as a cash cow and will finish nothing except their quarterly bills.

Try to talk to friends who have been widowed or divorced before is my recommendation, being widowed is quite similar to being divorced in some ways.

Any competent solicitor will deal with a barring/protection order , ask them to quote in advance ....and in full including VAT the sneaky feckers. :(

But take her time on a divorce scenario and take advice .

Cheers lads - i was thinking of asking her to go to one of the citizens advice evening, i think there's one on i Galway tomorrow. she's v reluctant to leave the house without taking some sort of legal advice as doesn't earn much herself so would be relying on getting her half of the house/assets in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

got no advice on solicitors, but nothing but sympathy for your mother
    been through divorce myself (in uk) and the only thing i can say
    is you own happiness lies in your own hands and i truly wish her all the best for finding that for herself.
    dont tolerate violence of any sort, call the guards most def, men who are violent to women are usually nothing against any man, or authority so go all the way with that. im sorry for you as well, it must be very hard to be in between this as the rights and wrongs are apparent but there both your parents, been there too and i no longer talk to my father and never will, but keep your head up , keep strong, and i wish you and your family the very best.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Dont think you can just get "divorced" just like that in Ireland, dont you need to be legally separated for 5 years?

My parents who are separated for over 10 years aren't actually divorced, to avoid legal costs :P

heh heh - i didn't think would be done and dusted by the weekend!!
    seriously though, she won't budge without getting some advice on her entitlements. will be quite difficult for her financially on her own and she will be supporting my brother who will be going to college in another city on her own until she can start getting cash from dad.
    am just trying to get her to go now as she is suffering constant abuse and she should go while she is still relatively young. not eaasy for her though :( he is unfortunately all she has ever known. better the devil and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Dont think you can just get "divorced" just like that in Ireland, dont you need to be legally separated for 5 years?

My parents who are separated for over 10 years aren't actually divorced, to avoid legal costs :P

+1 I was in that boat buddy!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Also you could phone women's aid on 1800 341 900 - they provide acute and ongoing support for women and children in domestic violence situations. They should be able to advise you and your mother on how to best approach the split, the protection order etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

+1 I was in that boat buddy!:P

Think there are a few of us like that...I don't bother asking anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You and your mum should speak to COPE in Galway, an organisation who have a lot of experience in helping women in similar situations to your mum. They will be able to offer practical advice, and will treat your case with confidentiality.

http://www.copegalway.ie/services_domestic_violence.php

Best of luck.
    Dilallio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Sorry to hear that Calculator. I hope everything will work itself out peacefully.

You can ring the Citizens Advice Bureau and get anonymous advice about your entitlements on 1890 777 121 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm) as well as attend their open evenings .The people who man the phonelines are generally very helpful and would be able to tell her what her entitlements would be in the situation. They could give her the same advice over the phone as they would at an information evening if she is reluctant to leave the house. Their website is also excellent for finding out everything from legal entitlements to social welfare entitlements. There's lots of information about divorce, barring orders and maintenance orders etc. The address is www.citizensinformation.ie

There's also a support group in Galway for seperated people. I think meetings are advertised in the classified section of the Galway Advertiser. I'm sure they'd be helpful for support but if your mum does not know anybody who has experience of family law solisitors maybe she could get some recommendations or advice there. The only phone number I've found online for the group is 085-1694860. Patricia is the contact name.

Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions - I'll pass them on to my mum and hopefully she'll make the move soon. Fingers crossed!

Advertisement