Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First bikini wax... help

• 12-08-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Ok so iv decided its time I went and got my bikini line waxed professionally.
    Iv been a chicken all along and used hair removal cream but now its time to take the plunge and just get it done. Im quite nervous about it as iv only had my eyebrows waxed before and im not crazy about pain at the best of times.
    Anyone have any tips?
    Should I take neurofen before hand or will it make any differnce?
    All advice will be appreciated :o

(oh and if Iv logged this in the wrong forum please feel free to boot me out, I wasnt sure where to go.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

The best tip I ever got, was to go the first possible day after your period, and to avoid the week before.

Apart from that, some beauticians have pain releiving gel stuff that they put on first - to numb the area a bit first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Also ... Would it help at all I wonder if I put on bonjella before hand myself?
    Iv heard that before but im not sure if theres any truth in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

take two neurofen an hour before hand..... cant do any harm.
    as another poster said dont go in the week before you're period.
    also make sure the therapist uses hot wax and not warm strip wax, hot was is applied , let harden and removed without using the paper wax strip! its basically just a little warmer than strip/warm wax, and the extra heat helps to open the follicles more so less pain !!
    its really not that bad i swear:)..... the first time will be the worst though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Lana80

Hi good luck,it's painful the first time.
    There is a cream called 'no scream cream you can apply about 20 mins before being waxed,that is an analgesic.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wondering

Does emla local anaesthetic work? (I know this is hemrrhoid cream) but it is recommended for tattoos.

I was looking for the 'no scream cream' myself and most beauty salons are out of stock. The latest formula had too much of the active ingredient (illegal doses), so they cant buy it at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

mini mouse wrote: »
    also make sure the therapist uses hot wax and not warm strip wax, hot was is applied , let harden and removed without using the paper wax strip! its basically just a little warmer than strip/warm wax, and the extra heat helps to open the follicles more so less pain !!

can anyone recommend a good salon in Galway that uses hot wax? Thanks

I bit the bullet and went for the wax this morning! :eek:

I took two neurofen half an hour before hand but I dont think they had kicked in by the time I got there.
    It was ....ok. It was really painful but at least it was over quickly.
    Im going to go every 4 weeks from now on to maintain it, apparently if you keep going the hair grows back lighter and it doesnt hurt as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

do u keep your underwear on? ive never got one done but am thinking of getting one soon. Do they just get rid of the hair outside the panty line or what? sorry if this is a stupid question.

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    do u keep your underwear on? ive never got one done but am thinking of getting one soon. Do they just get rid of the hair outside the panty line or what? sorry if this is a stupid question.

not a stupid question at all, I didnt have a clue up until a few hours ago.
    They offer you disposable panties or else you can leave your own on. The standard wax is just inside the panty line so she just lifts it to the side.

The standard wax is just inside the panty line so she just lifts it to the side.

I would definitley recommend that you work your way up to the more adventurous waxes. Start with a standard bikini - then go for an extended bikini and just keep on extending it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

mini mouse wrote: »
    as another poster said dont go in the week before you're period.
    Why?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

-Orlaith- wrote: »
    Why?:o

9 times out of 10 you're more sensitive the days leading up 2 ur period...supposedly it's a proven fact but I've definitely found it's true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It's really not that bad, I find the most painful bit is the top of the bikini line (the bottom of the stomach area) that bit is quite sensitive, but it's over so quick, you don't have time to think about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Would everyone agree that hair needs to be eyelash length before getting it done? I dont think mine will be that long by the time i need to get it done

Would everyone agree that hair needs to be eyelash length before getting it done? I dont think mine will be that long by the time i need to get it done

As long as your shortest hairs are longer than about 5mm it should be grand...If your hair is too long then it can be very painful. Most good beauticians finish the job off with a tweezers if they have missed any

Advertisement