Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Restricted List sneak peek

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 griffdude

Kryten wrote: »
    How the hell did the Walther SP22 end up on that list? It is completely unsuitable and not designed for Olympic shooting. Look at this

Yet the buckmark, mk3 ruger and hammerli xsse are not there.

I think it's this one that's on the list. It says SP22/SSP/M4 which doesn't make sense, but SP22/M4 does

walther_sp22m4_deta01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

bigred wrote: »
    So Sparks, there's clearly some valuable feedback here for the DOJ to include the buckmark, luger, webley etc. Any chance you can pass on the suggestions?

Is it going beyond the realms of reality that they treat this classification in a way like they did with shotguns - i.e. up to 6 round capacity = unrestricted (includes the revolvers). Greater than 6 = restricted/banned. And God forbid, they might even allow .22 conversion kits for all those 'evil' glocks and sigs etc.

a .22 is a .22. I just don't get it..:confused::confused:

Thats just what i was hoping,,either a x esse or a .22 kit for my glock.
    not in a situation to get something more expensive than that.
    YES a .22 is a .22 and thats the doj should be looking at.

bigred the prophet :D

Went back to look at the discussion on the original restricted SI here and found this...
    to Sparks and RRPC's discussion of Olympic vs ISSF;

Won't the lack of a list of specific, named list of allowed & restricted firearms just mean the local super will look at a picture of a pistol and if it's got a match grip and looks 'targety' it's ok, as opposed to someone buying, say, a sig mosquito and wanting to do some informal target shooting.

What about all those guys from Hilltop and places like that with revolvers etc. - they're hardly 'Olympic Grade', but are good enough to hold some of the best scores in the country at the moment.

They're hardly going to have a list of all the pistols used in previous Olympics and base their decisions on this? How would they even know?
    Is it all back again to the 'idontlikethelookothat' school of law-making for this area at least.

Did those of you involved in this process ever discuss the generation of a database of allowed/restricted/prohibited, such as that which exists in Canada? Given we've gone one step, is this something possible in the coming years?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

griffdude wrote: »
    bigred the prophet :D

Went back to look at the discussion on the original restricted SI here and found this...

:eek:
    Jaysus. Totally forgot about that post. I must have a subconcious urge to make smallbore shooting available to the masses :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Canadian list.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/rp-eng.htm

Edit: Probably best not to try compare this site with the Garda site.

• Advertisement

Thats a funny list :(

They seem to have prohibited anything with a barrel less than 105mm and the list is the stuff that isn't prohibited and has a barrel less than 105mm.

v. confusing :confused:

They seem to have prohibited anything with a barrel less than 105mm and the list is the stuff that isn't prohibited and has a barrel less than 105mm.

Yeah I was confused too but -

Certain handguns for use in international sporting competitions are excluded from the prohibition affecting the short-barreled......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The list of pistols on the Canadian site all have barrels with a length greater than 105m. Some of them are up to 150mm. But, in Canadia:) it seems all pistols are restricted, some are prohibited. Hope the DoJ are not reading this thread for more ideas!

fat-tony wrote: »
    Hope the DoJ are not reading this thread for more ideas!

It's no secret that the DOJ monitor this forum very closely and so they should given its content. I doubt much of their policy is influenced by this forum but it's up to us to give them good ideas based on accurate info, reasonable suggestions etc.

The list of pistols on the Canadian site all have barrels with a length greater than 105m. Some of them are up to 150mm. But, in Canadia:) it seems all pistols are restricted, some are prohibited. Hope the DoJ are not reading this thread for more ideas!

OK thanks tony, I should have read it properly the first time.

We dont really want that system so. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Be good if they followed the Canadians who have no problem with IPSC shooting!

...but then again they are a democratic country:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

So Sparks, there's clearly some valuable feedback here for the DOJ to include the buckmark, luger, webley etc. Any chance you can pass on the suggestions?

Is it going beyond the realms of reality that they treat this classification in a way like they did with shotguns - i.e. up to 6 round capacity = unrestricted (includes the revolvers). Greater than 6 = restricted/banned. And God forbid, they might even allow .22 conversion kits for all those 'evil' glocks and sigs etc.

a .22 is a .22. I just don't get it..:confused::confused:
    problem with that bigred is that some of the smith and wesson revolvers have 10 shot cylinders and i am sure many others do too , they are a very accurate .22 and excellent for normal club target shooting , seems though that some .22 rimfire rounds are far more deadly than others .
    personally i don't think that 10 rounds for target shooting is excessive , and the capacity of a firearm is down to its magazine , does this mean that if i throw away or destroy the 2 10 shot magazines that came with my ruger, and replaced them with 5 shot ones that it would then be an unrestricted pistol ?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

rowa wrote: »
    problem with that bigred is that some of the smith and wesson revolvers have 10 shot cylinders and i am sure many others do too , they are a very accurate .22 and excellent for normal club target shooting

Ya see, there's the problem. I'm a shooter and I didn't even realise revolvers came like this. What hope have DOJ if they're not given that sort of info. As for the magazine stuff, the idiotic "shure stick a bit of dowel in the tube and you're grand" works for shotties so why not for this stuff??
    BTW, I think it's great that you can just stick a dowel in a shotty - makes life much simpler:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

some valuable feedback here for the DOJ to include the ...... luger, webley etc.

They mean the 2012 Olympics, not 1936.

I think I know what you meant - in which case you're insulting our oriental brethren.

Advertisement