Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange UPC\Wireless problem

Options
  • 12-08-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm hoping someone may have seen this before, behaviour is:

I'm achieving full speed from my 3MB UPC broadband package when I do a speed test. However, when downloading\browsing\online gaming, my speed keeps cutting down to 0, games disconnecting etc.

Its especially noticeable when downloading. Something will download at full speed for about ten seconds, then speed cuts right down to 0, then after about 20 secs it start up again.

Originally I thought it was a UPC problem but it's not, it's definately a problem with the router or something, because the ethernet connection works perfectly.

It has been working perfectly for a year but all of a sudden this has started happening. I havent installed anything or made any hardware changes. :confused:

Any ideas experts?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DMBandit wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm hoping someone may have seen this before, behaviour is:

I'm achieving full speed from my 3MB UPC broadband package when I do a speed test. However, when downloading\browsing\online gaming, my speed keeps cutting down to 0, games disconnecting etc.

Its especially noticeable when downloading. Something will download at full speed for about ten seconds, then speed cuts right down to 0, then after about 20 secs it start up again.

Originally I thought it was a UPC problem but it's not, it's definately a problem with the router or something, because the ethernet connection works perfectly.

It has been working perfectly for a year but all of a sudden this has started happening. I havent installed anything or made any hardware changes. :confused:

Any ideas experts?

Since you're using wireless, the obvious first suggestion is to try it wired and narrow down the issue to the wireless if possible. If this proves to be the case, change the wireless channel to one not in use by others nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DMBandit

Yep the wired connection works perfectly, I know that. Do you mean just change the channel on the router to something else, as in other people near me might be using the same channel?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yep the wired connection works perfectly, I know that. Do you mean just change the channel on the router to something else, as in other people near me might be using the same channel?

Sounds like you're getting interference from other wifi systems then. In the router config page there'll be an option to change the channel. You could try something like Netstumbler on your PC (network card support not withstanding) to see what other access points and channels are in use.

That's great, thanks for the info, i'll try that.

Ok, seems that the channel isn't the problem. It was set to auto on the router so I presume that means it uses different channels. I changed it to 1 and 11 and that still didn't solve the amazing dropping connection issue.

Any other ideas lads? It's strange that it would work perfectly for a year and then all of a sudden start doing this?

• Advertisement

Ok, seems that the channel isn't the problem. It was set to auto on the router so I presume that means it uses different channels. I changed it to 1 and 11 and that still didn't solve the amazing dropping connection issue.

Any other ideas lads? It's strange that it would work perfectly for a year and then all of a sudden start doing this?

Are you using WEP or WPA? Have you a different wireless adapter you can use? Have you ran Netstumbler or any other site survey to see who else is around?

Thanks for replying Spear. I'm using WPA-TSK. I just ran Netstumbler and there are about 20 other networks around me.

I'm not sure what I am looking for but my signal is at -30 and noise is at -100?

There are also lots of people (around 10) using channel 11.

Thanks for replying Spear. I'm using WPA-TSK. I just ran Netstumbler and there are about 20 other networks around me.

I'm not sure what I am looking for but my signal is at -30 and noise is at -100?

There are also lots of people (around 10) using channel 11.

All Wifi channels overlap slightly, with 1,6 and 11 being the three that don't overlap each other (should be more channels really in the EU but a lot of equipment keeps to the smaller US channel set).

Is there anything else that could have changed? Accept any new drivers from Windows Update or the like?

Spear wrote: »
    All Wifi channels overlap slightly, with 1,6 and 11 being the three that don't overlap each other (should be more channels really in the EU but a lot of equipment keeps to the smaller US channel set).

Is there anything else that could have changed? Accept any new drivers from Windows Update or the like?

No not that I know of. Both my laptop and wii, are losing the wireless connection, so that suggests the router is at fault. When I plug the ethernet cable directly into my laptop the downloading works perfectly. As soon as I switch to wireless, it downloads perfectly at full speed for about ten seconds before it drops off. Crazy as it just started happening all of a sudden out of nowhere.

No not that I know of. Both my laptop and wii, are losing the wireless connection, so that suggests the router is at fault. When I plug the ethernet cable directly into my laptop the downloading works perfectly. As soon as I switch to wireless, it downloads perfectly at full speed for about ten seconds before it drops off. Crazy as it just started happening all of a sudden out of nowhere.

Do you have a spare router or Wifi card that can be tested to rule out one or the other?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Any wireless gizmos added recently? For example tv senders can be disastrous.

I don't have another router or wireless card to try, but i'm nearly sure it must be the router as both the laptop and wii are dropping the connection.

Haven't added any other wireless hardware or anything recently to make this happen.

Is it normal for a router to just stop working properly after a certain amount of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

UPC is acting the maggot at the moment! Lots of threads in the broadband section.

I think my broadband is fine though because when I plug the ethernet cable directly into the laptop and don't use wireless, then everything is at full speed with no problems.

Could it be a DNS issue are something like that when using wireless?

I think my broadband is fine though because when I plug the ethernet cable directly into the laptop and don't use wireless, then everything is at full speed with no problems.

Could it be a DNS issue are something like that when using wireless?

The same DNS settings are used regardless of wireless or wired mode. You could try the OpenDNS servers instead if you want to try an alternative.

Hmm, doesnt sound too likely to be the problem then. I'm thinking of resetting the router to factory defaults and setting it up again to see if that fixes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lobobolo

Have you tried resetting 802.1x authentication for this network ?
    This was a problem with service pack one but could still be affecting your computer, if it fails then just set it back to how it was.

Here's how to do it, might be worth a try.

For Windows XP Users
    1. Click Start, point to Connect To, click Show all connections, OR click Control Panel, Network Connections and then double-click your wireless network adapter.
    2. On the General tab, click Properties.
    3. Click the Wireless Networks tab.
    4. Under Preferred Networks, click your home network, and then click Properties.
    5. Click Data encryption (WEP enabled).
    6. Click the Association tab, and then click to clear the Network Authentication (Shared mode) check box and the The key is provided for me automatically check box, if they are selected.
    7. Click the Authentication tab, and then click to clear the Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network check box, if it is selected.
    8. Click OK twice to accept the changes.
    For Windows Vista Users
    1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage network connections.
    3. Right-click the network that you want to disable 802.1X authentication for, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Security tab, and then, in the Security Type list, click No authentication (Open). Click OK
    Try it, you might like it.. :D

I'll give it a go, thanks!

That authentication has never been set on my laptop unfortunately so that's not it either :(

The problem is definately with my router anyway.

That authentication has never been set on my laptop unfortunately so that's not it either :(

The problem is definately with my router anyway.

What model is it?

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    What model is it?

It's a Belkin G+ MIMO Router, and it had been working perfectly for about a year up until recently. I haven't updated the firmware recently either :confused:

It's a Belkin G+ MIMO Router, and it had been working perfectly for about a year up until recently. I haven't updated the firmware recently either :confused:

There should be a specific model number on it somewhere, something like FD-xxxx.

It's Belkin G+ MIMO Router, F5D9230-4..

Edit:

I've checked and apparently there are issues with this model. I updated the firmware and it seems to be working now. Problem was that the router's settings page wasn't finding anything when I clicked "check for firmware update". When I went to the Belkin site there actually was an update!

All working now! (fingers crossed anyway downloads arent dying)

Spear, and everyone else that replied. Thanks a million. Much appreciated.

Advertisement