Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorting team issues

Options
  • 12-08-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Bit of a complicated problem but here goes:

Our manager decided to rehire an old contractee back as we were short on resources, makes perfect sense untill you consider who the contractee is. This girl is the most ignorant & argumentative person I've ever had the displesure of working with. She is basically hated within the team and anyone that has the misfortune of working with her comes out with the same opinion. As much as I'd love to get this eejit fired I don't think there is any feasable way of getting this done without ending up in front of HR.

What the real problem is that our manager has no awareness of this or any other issues with the team. Alot of this stems from the fact that he is based out of Frankfurt while we are all located in Ireland. They are not listening to our team lead on this or most other issues, they make decisions based on perceived performance not actual performance (again a direct result of location).

My question is how would you raise these problems so that they are actually given attention and adressed? Is this even possible?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Germans, that usually means by the book. You claim they are working on the wrong KPIs, my answer is you're doing it wrong.

Look at the KPIs, why are they wrong and how can you prove that to them (keeping in mind that they are unlikely to accept any evidence you put upany way).

And if not play it by the book, do what ever it takes to deliver the KPIs, if they start to complain about your result point to the KPIs are all fine or suggest an additional KPI and max out both basically.

Your only chance here is the KPI honestly, play it by the book and show excellent KPIs with ****ty performance. This is most likely the only way you're going to get the KPIs changed or another added.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gybe wrote: »
    how would you raise these problems so that they are actually given attention and adressed? Is this even possible?

What exactly is the problem?

That you have to work with someone who you think is an idiot? (Sure we've all had to do that).

That morale is low because of it (well is it reflected in your numbers/KPIs?)

I'm not being thick here, just trying to help you see ways to communicate with your mgmt. The last poster is right re KPIs, though s/he and I might disagree re strategies. It may be that the remote managers aren't listening to your t/l, or it might be that they don't care so long as the numbers are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gybe

KPIs: Herein lies part of the problem, we don't have any! Or at least any that are tennable and traceable. It is far too easy to bull**** and not be held accountable, as another co-worker demonstrates perfectly each week.

Don't get me wrong here I know everyone has one or more of _those_ types of people they would rather beat over the head with a bat than have to work with. The point really is that it was obvious to everyone on the team that she should not be re-hired as it was impossible to work with her. Yet management being management ignored our Team Lead and hired away.

So really I guess the solution is to get KPIs up and runing first then weed out the time wasters. How would you solve the Team Lead being ignored piece?

Advertisement