Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing veterinary medicine??

Options
  • 12-08-2009 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I got 555, hoping to scrape in....

what did the rest of you hoping for veterinary get? I really hope the points don't go up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

I read somewhere that the amount of student who got 600 points is much lower than last year, so you could have a good chance of getting in on 555!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

I'd say you'd get it as it was like 545/550 last year. I want to do it next year so hopefully it won't go up too much.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

Hopefully you're both right!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

I got 580 and have vet med as number 1.However,if i get it i will defer.Also,my dad has advised me to steer well clear of it as the future of veterinary in ireland does not look bright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Got 490, repeating for it but I was expecting to really... I doubt it'll go up, and if it does it'd be a max of 560, and I'd expect the 2nd round to be 555. Congrats by the way you lucky fúcker!
    Anthony16 wrote: »
    I got 580 and have vet med as number 1.However,if i get it i will defer.Also,my dad has advised me to steer well clear of it as the future of veterinary in ireland does not look bright!

Why's that..?

• Advertisement

ChiefBrody wrote: »
    Got 490, repeating for it but I was expecting to really... I doubt it'll go up, and if it does it'd be a max of 560, and I'd expect the 2nd round to be 555. Congrats by the way you lucky fúcker!

Why's that..?

As there will be 40 extra graduates coming over from budapest every year,from now on.My cousin is studyin it in budapest and says there are so many irish that they have a gaa team!
    However,i would argue that in the US there will be a lot of opportunities in large animal practices.In the future vets will earn very little nand it will be tough to find work.

Btw arthistory id say you will get in with 555.i wz hoping to get that in my leaving as i felt and still feel confident it will be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

As there will be 40 extra graduates coming over from budapest every year,from now on.My cousin is studyin it in budapest and says there are so many irish that they have a gaa team!
    However,i would argue that in the US there will be a lot of opportunities in large animal practices.In the future vets will earn very little nand it will be tough to find work.

Btw arthistory id say you will get in with 555.i wz hoping to get that in my leaving as i felt and still feel confident it will be enough

So Pharmacy is ****ed (as a qualification no, as a career in community yes!), Veterinary Medicine is ****ed, what is isnt ****ed?:pac:

I can't see veterinary going that bad all of a sudden. At the moment there is almost full employment for graduates, whereas doctors can't even get their intern year in Ireland. Even if it does go badly, you could always emigrate as the degree would be recognised in most countries surely. :o

I can't see veterinary going that bad all of a sudden. At the moment there is almost full employment for graduates, whereas doctors can't even get their intern year in Ireland. Even if it does go badly, you could always emigrate as the degree would be recognised in most countries surely. :o

Well a dog in Ireland is the same as a dog in France.:pac:

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Well a dog in Ireland is the same as a dog in France.:pac:

Only they don't speak French..

• Advertisement

Yes u are correct,the degree can be used worldwide and research is also an option with it.However,the future for vets in ireland looks bleak.It used to be around 65 euro per call but now some vets are doin it for 25!With the influx of graduates from budapest this is likely to become common practice.

Only they don't speak French..

LOL its ok, i speak a bit of french!!!!;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

Anyone who doesn't do something cos their Parents said so is going down a dangerous road. It took me a whole year to coax mine into showing them that Arts in Trinity was what I wanted. All this talk of "the future in this country" should not inhibit anyone's choices. 4, 5 even 6 years is a long way away . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wittsend90

I'm starting Veterinary in Budapest in September and I couldn't care less in 5 years time if I'm not making the money. It's what I've always wanted to do and I will enjoy. Having the money is just a bonus!and there will always be animals to treat no matter where you go in the world!

wittsend90 wrote: »
    I'm starting Veterinary in Budapest in September and I couldn't care less in 5 years time if I'm not making the money. It's what I've always wanted to do and I will enjoy. Having the money is just a bonus!and there will always be animals to treat no matter where you go in the world!

U might also find it difficult to find work though,in ireland anyway.Having spent 5 yrs in college studying a prestigious course you wouldnt want to be drawing the dole!!

That is true but everyone runs the risk of having no work once they complete their degree! Luckily veterinary is 5 years down the line so hopefully things will change!

U might also find it difficult to find work though,in ireland anyway.Having spent 5 yrs in college studying a prestigious course you wouldnt want to be drawing the dole!!

Come on, you'll never have qualified vets having trouble finding work. I might believe that they could end up making less money, but that's a little bit far fetched...

Come on, you'll never have qualified vets having trouble finding work. I might believe that they could end up making less money, but that's a little bit far fetched...

Well, a fully qualified vet with a first class honours degree,who worked in my dads practice for a bit has had to emigrate to australia to find full time employment.Furthermore, out of the 2009 graduates only 5 have found part time work so far and 70% of that class are registered in england right now.Listen,i dont want to put people down or anything but its just whats happening to the profession.Im as disappointed as the next person but thats life.There are still gr8 opportunites in the usa,australia and possibly uk though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Applicant: look, the best thing is to ignore naysayers about employment prospects. Go for it, excel at it (or do your best at any rate). Prospects are fairly dim for every profession in that there is no longer jobs to walk into - there is now competition for spots. Give it a lash, aim for a first, and you'll have as good if not better a chance of being employed ahead of a Budapest graduate.

Above poster: 1. negativity will not get you a job. 2. deferring for a year won't change much!

All interested in vet: sure it's a hard course - you'll be very lucky to get through it in just 5 years - many, many people have to face at least one repeat. It's a long and intricate course, possibly, in my opinion, harder than medicine. But if you want to do it, it's seriously rewarding and good fun.

I spoke to two vets recently who had only qualified last year and they both said they had had absolutely no bother at all finding jobs and that the country is 'crying out for vets'.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

I spoke to two vets recently who had only qualified last year and they both said they had had absolutely no bother at all finding jobs and that the country is 'crying out for vets'.....
    Well when you think about it, it would be; there's still a lot of farms out the country, and now more and more people getting pets, and of course people are taking better care of their pets.
    Vets are stretched pretty thin; our locals vets are always out on call somewhere, it's tough enough catching one in the surgery.

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!smile.gif!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:):)hope the rest of you got it too!!!!

ALincoln wrote: »
    Applicant: look, the best thing is to ignore naysayers about employment prospects. Go for it, excel at it (or do your best at any rate). Prospects are fairly dim for every profession in that there is no longer jobs to walk into - there is now competition for spots. Give it a lash, aim for a first, and you'll have as good if not better a chance of being employed ahead of a Budapest graduate.

Above poster: 1. negativity will not get you a job. 2. deferring for a year won't change much!

All interested in vet: sure it's a hard course - you'll be very lucky to get through it in just 5 years - many, many people have to face at least one repeat. It's a long and intricate course, possibly, in my opinion, harder than medicine. But if you want to do it, it's seriously rewarding and good fun.

Despite my negativity i just accepted the course.Hypocrisy if i ever saw it!Shur if worst comes to worst ill be workin for half decnt money in a job i like

Despite my negativity i just accepted the course.Hypocrisy if i ever saw it!Shur if worst comes to worst ill be workin for half decnt money in a job i like

Will you look after my cows being a pharmer and all?:D

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Will you look after my cows being a pharmer and all?:D

Not a bother:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paperglue

got it too wwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooo:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well done guys! I'm so envious of you, I would have loved to have gotten into UCD but then again I didn't realise how badly I wanted to do it!!!!

Is it true that its mostly women in veterinary?:pac:

I've heard that 70% of vets in training are women, yes. I suppose you think this is a bad thing.......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I printed off the veterinary medicine timetable for orientation and it starts on the thursday...so does that mean we don't have to go up til thursday or do we still start on the 31st????:)

Advertisement