Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing veterinary medicine??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paperglue

I saw that too. Dont know if we are supposed to go up or not- whats the point in hanging around if we're not supposed to be there until the 4th...... dunno though- maybe we should go to get orientated with the place:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Just wanted to say hi to my fellow classmates, I too got a place this year!:D

I'm a pure towny although I have done a fair bit of work expience throughout the years. What about you lot? Do a lot of you come from a farming/horsey background?

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

merryhappy wrote: »
    Just wanted to say hi to my fellow classmates, I too got a place this year!:D

I'm a pure towny although I have done a fair bit of work expience throughout the years. What about you lot? Do a lot of you come from a farming/horsey background?

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

We have a small farm and I have 2 ponies. have a good bit of experience working with horses with the ISPCA. Also have 2 dogs and 5 cats!! done work experience with vets over the years too.That's it really! Can't wait to start veterinary and meet everyone too!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Heard the government has opened up 40 extra graduate places in veterinary.Thay are really trying to overload the healthcare prfessions even thogh there was no need to(medicine is probably an exception).Also,some vet med lecturer claimed that the budapest graduates would not be up to ucds "standard".Kinda hard to believe when the budapest degree is a better one!That type of arrogance really annoys me:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Kinda hard to believe when the budapest degree is a better one!That type of arrogance really annoys me:mad:
    How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Lawliet wrote: »
    How so?

The Budapest college is the second Oldest veterinary college in Europe. They do teach to a far higher standard with many exams being oral and on the spot as opposed to written so you have to really know your stuff and what your talking about. They fail you quite easily so you do have to work far harder to pass. One student I know of went to Budapest and then got accepted into UCD, decided to stay in budapest for 1st year and deferred UCD until the following year and had to start 1st year again, shes even said she think the Hungarian course was better.

The degree itself is actually better recognised around Europe in comparasion the Irish one!

Its very easy to compare the two courses and lots of people will defend the UCD course, I guess it will never be agreed on which course is truely 'better' , but I think it does say alot that the Budapest course is better known around europe and much more recognised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

ashlingm wrote: »
    The Budapest college is the second Oldest veterinary college in Europe. They do teach to a far higher standard with many exams being oral and on the spot as opposed to written so you have to really know your stuff and what your talking about. They fail you quite easily so you do have to work far harder to pass. One student I know of went to Budapest and then got accepted into UCD, decided to stay in budapest for 1st year and deferred UCD until the following year and had to start 1st year again, shes even said she think the Hungarian course was better.

The degree itself is actually better recognised around Europe in comparasion the Irish one!

But it is not AVMA accredited - the one from UCD is.

Whered you pull that from??

Whered you pull that from??

Pull it from? It's just a simple fact - UCD has AVMA accreditation, the course in Budapest does not.

• Advertisement

Pull it from? It's just a simple fact - UCD has AVMA accreditation, the course in Budapest does not.

Sorry pet, But its a known fact UCD isnt accredited with AVMA (it may well have been in the past - but it definately currently isnt).

Feel free to prove me wrong with actual proof from their website.

Sorry pet, But its a known fact UCD isnt accredited with AVMA (it may well have been in the past - but it definately currently isnt).

Feel free to prove me wrong with actual proof from their website.

http://www.ucd.ie/vetmed/news.html

I'm afraid it is definitely a known fact that UCD is accredited with AVMA.

Also, it's pretty rude to refer to strangers as "pet". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, that seems to have answered that question ...

Done and dusted, yes, and the handbags can be put away?

Good.

http://www.ucd.ie/vetmed/news.html

I'm afraid it is definitely a known fact that UCD is accredited with AVMA.

Also, it's pretty rude to refer to strangers as "pet". :)

Oh , well there you go. Cant rely on 'inside sources' these days! :)

Ah to be honest, I couldnt care less if our course is with the AVMA or not. There are a good few americans here and they dont seem concerned about doing the exam for the states...so If I do decide to do it at some stage at least they'll be able to let me know about it and help me out.

I havnt put down UCD at all, its Irelands only vet college after all. I think the system for getting into veterinary in the first place is a joke! But I dont like the fact many students there seem to look down their noses at students who are doing Veterinary abroad. There are a good few of us, theres a demand for vets in Ireland...we are going to end up working side by side regardless of certain peoples feelings! I think it takes alot of guts to go live in a strange country for 5 years if it means you are going to achive your goal in life...why put us down for that? (not you...just certain people...) Its not like its easy streak here - they do check our grades, we do an enterance exam and then an interview...a bit like the Irish Medicine system now I guess!

Its kind of a pity really - were both student vets (im guessing you are, right??) we should be helping each other out! Oh and as for pet, I would have put that down as a friendly and affectionate term for people....appologies if you felt offended by it!

Oh , well there you go. Cant rely on 'inside sources' these days! :)

Ah to be honest, I couldnt care less if our course is with the AVMA or not. There are a good few americans here and they dont seem concerned about doing the exam for the states...so If I do decide to do it at some stage at least they'll be able to let me know about it and help me out.

To be honest, I find it baffling that somebody could be so happy to spread such misinformation and claim they are full sure of their facts without even bothering to google.

[font=&quot]My opinion would be that AVMA accreditation is not something to be dismissed so easily. The exams you must take, should you wish to work in the States, are extremely rigorous and take a long time to complete – most would take the guts of a year and a half complete them, with most of that time dedicated to intensive study. Also, there are only 5 courses in Europe accredited, although many more than that have applied – so it certainly says a lot about the quality and international recognition of the course in question[/font].
    I havnt put down UCD at all, its Irelands only vet college after all. I think the system for getting into veterinary in the first place is a joke! But I dont like the fact many students there seem to look down their noses at students who are doing Veterinary abroad. There are a good few of us, theres a demand for vets in Ireland...we are going to end up working side by side regardless of certain peoples feelings! I think it takes alot of guts to go live in a strange country for 5 years if it means you are going to achive your goal in life...why put us down for that? (not you...just certain people...) Its not like its easy streak here - they do check our grades, we do an enterance exam and then an interview...a bit like the Irish Medicine system now I guess!

Well, it certainly seems that you have major issues with the course in UCD – you have in fact put it down repeatedly, both here and in other threads. You have claimed it is not as well recognised in Europe – something there is no evidence to support, anecdotal or otherwise. You have also previously claimed that UCD has lost European recognition in the past – this has never happened and is at best misinformation, at worst a lie.

Nobody on this thread has “looked down their nose” at the course you are doing, yet you have felt the need to question the quality and reputation of a course which most who posted here are doing.

There are lots of people who disagree with the entry system to lots of courses in Ireland. For the moment though, that is just the way it is - there is no point getting a chip on your shoulder about it because you didn't get in and belittling the course for those that did.
    Its kind of a pity really - were both student vets (im guessing you are, right??) we should be helping each other out! !

[font=&quot]I am not a vet student. In a previous life, however, I have worked closely with the vet college in UCD and I am extremely familiar with the staff, students and the course. I also have many friends and family members involved in the profession.[/font]

As for Irish qualified and non-Irish qualified vets working side by side - I agree, you will have to get on. However, you will not be very popular if you come back here telling all who'll listen how much better your qualification is and how the UCD course is of a lower standard. I have never heard any ordinary working vets question the quality of the Budapest course. The only concerns I have heard is regarding the availability of jobs for the extra graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

To be honest, I find it baffling that somebody could be so happy to spread such misinformation and claim they are full sure of their facts without even bothering to google.

[font=&quot]My opinion would be that AVMA accreditation is not something to be dismissed so easily. The exams you must take, should you wish to work in the States, are extremely rigorous and take a long time to complete – most would take the guts of a year and a half complete them, with most of that time dedicated to intensive study. Also, there are only 5 courses in Europe accredited, although many more than that have applied – so it certainly says a lot about the quality and international recognition of the course in question[/font].

Well, it certainly seems that you have major issues with the course in UCD – you have in fact put it down repeatedly, both here and in other threads. You have claimed it is not as well recognised in Europe – something there is no evidence to support, anecdotal or otherwise. You have also previously claimed that UCD has lost European recognition in the past – this has never happened and is at best misinformation, at worst a lie.

Nobody on this thread has “looked down their nose” at the course you are doing, yet you have felt the need to question the quality and reputation of a course which most who posted here are doing.

There are lots of people who disagree with the entry system to lots of courses in Ireland. For the moment though, that is just the way it is - there is no point getting a chip on your shoulder about it because you didn't get in and belittling the course for those that did.

[font=&quot]I am not a vet student. In a previous life, however, I have worked closely with the vet college in UCD and I am extremely familiar with the staff, students and the course. I also have many friends and family members involved in the profession.[/font]

As for Irish qualified and non-Irish qualified vets working side by side - I agree, you will have to get on. However, you will not be very popular if you come back here telling all who'll listen how much better your qualification is and how the UCD course is of a lower standard. I have never heard any ordinary working vets question the quality of the Budapest course. The only concerns I have heard is regarding the availability of jobs for the extra graduates.

In all fairness, she went half way across the world to pursue her dream of becoming a vet.It doesnt matter which degree is better or which is not.What matters is that tons of irish students are going abroad to study because our country cant provide enough places.Many irish vets may have to emigrate but there is good work for vets in the states and in oz.Fair enough,they may have to go through rigorous examinations in order to become registered over there,but if one has the will,one will succeed in the finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

I didn't get veterinary the first time round so I decided to just go straight on to college and then do veterinary the graduate route. Checked into it here and in the UK and the duration is only 4 years. I am considering budapest or brussels also. Either way I am gonna end up being a vet no matter what. Its like my passion. I would prefer to mainly work with horses and the course I'm doing now we do a bit of equine veterinary. Even got to disect a horse :D
    Tbh it doesnt bother me that being a vet in ireland will be tough because I was not even planning on living in Ireland for the rest of my life. Sure I love it but staying in the one place gets a bit monotonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Hi, sorry to go off-topic but was just wondering is there a demand for veterinary nurses or is it just for the larger city practices???

Thank you so much Anthony16 and SmellySockies (love the name btw!)

Im glad to see that others out there do understand that if youve been born to do something nothing will stop you from achieving it (sounds kinda corny but its true!).

Ive been purposely avoiding this thread because I personally feel my words are being mis-interpretted. Ill get back on track in a few days and reply to Miss Lockharts post above...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to go off-topic but was just wondering is there a demand for veterinary nurses or is it just for the larger city practices???

Larger city id say,or you might be able to do secretarial work along with your veterinary nursing duties in a town but wit the incresing number of vets it will probly b tougher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 aghead

May i ask does ashlingm loves "pints hi" haha

Advertisement