Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books on genetics/ancestry

• 12-08-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Can someone recommend me a book please? I'm interested in the area of ancestry, may be using the incorrect term here. You know the way where genetic testing in certain populations show ancestry with other areas and they can be traced back to certain areas over the centuries.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Brian Sykes' book 'Seven Daughters of Eve' is a popular and entertaining read. Sykes uses findings from studies of maternally-inherited mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) to tell the story of the peopling of Europe.

That could be a good start, though it doesn't aim to give the whole picture; the paternally-inherited Y chromosome tells a slightly different story from mtDNA, as does the autosomal (non-X, Y) genome, and there's all the other continents out there too. Anyone got any recommendations there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

darjeeling wrote: »
    Brian Sykes' book 'Seven Daughters of Eve' is a popular and entertaining read. Sykes uses findings from studies of maternally-inherited mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) to tell the story of the peopling of Europe.

That could be a good start, though it doesn't aim to give the whole picture; the Y chromosome tells a slightly different story from mtDNA, as does the nuclear genome, and there's all the other continents out there too. Anyone got any recommendations there?

Thanks for that, was recommended that one on another forum. Typed it into Amazon and it's got good reviews, I also saw another called The Journey of Man by Spencer Wells, I think that study looks into the fraternal DNA. There's also a show coming on NAtional Geographic very soon, apparently they ahve looked at the DNA of 350,000 people.
    http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/human-family-tree

Advertisement