Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kayak or canoe information needed before purchase

• 12-08-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anybody tell me how to size a kayak or canoe for a person? Lets say I am 6ft4"

What factors does it depend on?

Dont know if I want to get one for the sea or rivers/lakes.

Any advice really appriciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

For a beginner I'd say you'll be most confortable in a sit on rather than a sit in. After that you just need to make sure it takes your weight, most kayaks etc have a weight limit, the one for sale here at the moment for example has a weight limit of 95kg afaik. So if your over that weight you'd need a bigger boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Hey thanks for the feedback.

So the one on this link:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623225

Is suitable?

I am about 85 Kg, but does hieght matter? Coz I am a very tall 6ft 4", so I guess my legs would just have to push in more?

Yeah you should be fine with the 260. You might find it a little tippy at first but their a great starter boat! If your in dublin you should call into the great outdoors and have a sit in a few and see whats most comfortable.

Sit-on's are prob the way to go for a beginner anyway, and the teksport 260's and 290's are a great cheap entry, in my opinion!

Where abouts are you based anyway, and where will you be 'yaking from??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

PjC wrote: »
    Yeah you should be fine with the 260. You might find it a little tippy at first but their a great starter boat! If your in dublin you should call into the great outdoors and have a sit in a few and see whats most comfortable.

Sit-on's are prob the way to go for a beginner anyway, and the teksport 260's and 290's are a great cheap entry, in my opinion!

Where abouts are you based anyway, and where will you be 'yaking from??

Living in Clare, lots of nice coast line but pretty dangerous I know. Looking for a club around the place. Can try River Deep Mountain High. and see if they have any.

Would these 260s but good for the lakes and rivers too?
    Are they ideal for the surf?
    Il need a car rack too, any thing I should know about that?

Ive done a canoeing course before, so Im pretty confident that my balance is no problem, is there any safety precautions that I should know about before htting the sea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

i just started kayaking last year. my first kayak is a nekkey jive. i think it is a good alrounder. I take it on the boyne and to donegal surfing. u should join a kayak club
    http://www.canoe.ie/Information/ClubContactList/tabid/1259/language/en-IE/Default.aspx

now for the roof rails, have you goot an estate or jusr a saloon.
    go to halfords i found them the cheepest all the pther parts deelers were quoting me roughly €150 i got them in halfords for €90

Happy kayaking

• Advertisement

Em, as regards saftey on the water, Always wear a life jacket, If your going out around coastlines make sure your familiar with tide direction and power. Try to avoid going out when theres a strong offshore wind as it will be blowing you out and you may not realise until your unable to get back... I could be here all day really.

Just use your head with the sea, I've been sailing, surfing, wakeboarding for about 20 years (kayaking a few months) and have seen alot of newbies getting into trouble for not using the grey matter god gave them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

I am a very tall 6ft 4"

At least two feet taller than someone of a similar height? :D

Ray Mears did a great in depth section on canoes in season two of his "Bushcraft" television show, it went from making a canoe from birchbark right down to what kind of paddle to use etc depending on how comfortable you are with the canoe etc. Might be worth taking a look at some point for future reference. I'm not sure how useful it is for a first time buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Rent one or 2 and see what suits and what is comfortable.
    Your Floatation device/vest is a vital piece of equipment, dont ever
    go in the water with out it.
    Personally would recommend a fixed roof rack although both of my mates use a soft one.
    And final piece of advice, get a non electronic key for locking your car-
    I never realised this until we were standing ready to hop into the kayaks and we were like F*%k!!!!
    how did we over look it!!

Enjoy

Very true about the car key. Something i never thought of and was just lucky my spare was non electric!

Very true about the car key. Something i never thought of and was just lucky my spare was non electric!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭rooney32

if you are looking for a good kayak for river running and white water a large pyranah burn would be the job i am over 6 ft and loads of room.
    a new burn would cost you 850 but really good boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Hi,

Can anybody tell me how to size a kayak or canoe for a person? Lets say I am 6ft4"

What factors does it depend on?

Dont know if I want to get one for the sea or rivers/lakes.

Any advice really appriciated.

Gut reaction [based on spec of the boat], is that it's too small for you @ 6' 4".
    Sit in the boat with your legs flat [straight], bring your feet back one "step" and this is the position you should be in for paddling.
    This may suit you better http://www.brighton-canoes.co.uk/productpages/feel-free-kayaks/nomad-classic.htm
    I use this on the sea [surf & tour], rivers and lakes.
    PM me if you like and I can give you more info.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

what do folk think of this canoe?
    just bought it. Impulse buy really!
    Doin all the research now.
    Is it kayak or canoe? whats the difference,
    Is the splashguard reqd, it didnt come with it.
    Where can i buy these?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/1003055

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

what do folk think of this canoe?
    just bought it. Impulse buy really!
    Doin all the research now.
    Is it kayak or canoe? whats the difference,
    Is the splashguard reqd, it didnt come with it.
    Where can i buy these?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/1003055
    the shape of the bow and the fact that you sit into it suggests that its a sea kayak. though im new to the game but but it should be good for biginners. the one i am learning is on a nekey jive it is more of an all rounder but not to tskr from your kayak just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

The lawarence easky is a racing kayak, its made out of fibreglass so would be lighter than the equivalent plastic kayak. although its lighter its not as string and heavy bangs off rocks can cause cracks and holes so more suited to deep water, more flat water than white water. Although they would be one of the more popular boats used in the liffey descent.

A kayak is a closed cock pit, that means that you have to effectively get 'into' the boat. Where as a canoe is an open top boat, like a sit on with the side built up. Example i always use to explain it is the boat that you would see native americans in.

From lookin at the pic you showed i would recommend getting a new set of paddles and a new bouyancy aid, as life jackets can be quite restrictive while paddling. You would also need a spray deck but only when you are comfortable gettinn in an out of the boat under water.

Would also recommend gettin air bags for the boat, these mean thta the boat can not fill with water and part will always float.
    Any of these can be got from any major shop, River deep mountain high in galway, munster dive and canoe in cork, great outdoors in dublin and I-canoe who are based in dublin.

Also word of advice, wear a pair of light non cotton bottoms!! nothing worse than fibreglass rubbin into your legs!!

If i can be of anymore help just let me know!!

Advertisement