Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big is MMA in Ireland becoming?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

People wont go to shows that arent at UFC "standard".:confused:
    Firstly, im not exactly sure what you mean! Like the guys who put the time in and have posted on here are fully aware, once you step into that cage, you give 100%.;) Its that or get beaten up.
    I'm also not exactly sure what exactly would constitute a "good" fight. Personally, i would prefer a war, where both fighters are battling hard, and the fight ebbs and flows in one direction then the other.
    Most of the guys who, no offense wear their Tapout hoodies out and about arent really interested in the technical aspects of a technical fight. A 3 strike combination, working to an under over clinch, knees to the ribs, countered by a single outside leg takedown with, blocked by a half guard working to a brabo choke, defended by a guga sweep to knee bar. Those amongst us who train appreciate how HARD it is to complete each and every one of those phases, and the time thats gone into drilling them. OVER and OVER and OVER again.
    They just want to see some guy get pounded. Or both guys in an ideal world. This may surpise a lot of people, but i dont watch UFC. I actually enjoy the amateur fights as a spectacle. I find the standard excellent, the sportmanship of a high quality.
    lol on side note, i think that we lack events for the fighters after the show. Personally, after a hard fight the after show party is a bit much. It'd be good to sit down with the guy youve fought 3 rounds with and have a different type of round and some grub. I think it would be a good way to unwind after the fight.They do it in every other sport. Why not ours? :) Just an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Right Colin you've nicked the idea directly from my frontal lobe. I'm actually talking to a big bar/eatery about a special after show party for The Fight Before Christmas 2 with grub for the fighters and some champers :)*

I reckon Ray Sha and Brian Dowling will love it too and I'll try to get yer one whatserface Brunker in too to get some photos in the Sun. Ray and Brian aren't training hard or anything but I'm sure they'll put on a great show and put some bums on seats.

*that might be Bulmers pear in the end but we live in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Some mightn't like the comparison, but it's a fact, I've read the same sort of discussion many times before about the pro wrestling scene in Ireland

They're similar situations in that the vast majority of MMA fans here only know about the UFC and the same is true of pro wrestling fans and WWE. The talent level is obviously lower on the Irish scene in both cases, but that doesn't prevent fun, competitive and entertaining shows with a more personal experience for the fans

The peak of the Irish wrestling scene came about five years ago, when an Irish promotion, IWW, brought in some famous names from the US to get the fans to the show in the first place and they coupled that with some great performances from local talent to keep the fans coming back to their shows

This just seems like the most obvious way for a local MMA show here to get new fans to their shows. It'd be a bit harder in MMA than pro wrestling as there aren't as many stars available to come to a show here and it'd be very unlikely that they'd be fighting, but it could be possible to get someone in as a referee or simply as a guest

Let's just say someone like Shonie Carter (maybe not the best candidate, but bare with me). He can be advertised as a former UFC star, someone who was on TUF not so long ago. A Q&A and autograph session could be organised with him before the show and something could be done with him on the show, maybe just get him to give a speech or something

An even better idea would be to try to get some current UFC fighters to a show while they're over here for Paddy's Day next year. Probably not the guys actually fighting, but guys who are cornering others or who are just over for the show

The UFC does allow their fighters to attend smaller MMA shows. I often read about shows where guys like Wanderlei, Florian, Guida, etc. are in attendance as special guests, so it's not as if this is an outlandish idea. If a local show could have been planned for the Friday before the UFC show here last January, then perhaps you could have got someone like Bisping, or even non-UFC guys like Ninja Rua, Baroni, Overeem or Schilt. Even Mark Dellagrotte might have raised a bit of interest

Maybe this whole idea is unworkable for some reason, but as I said, it's the most obvious to me in getting some current MMA fans uninterested in the Irish scene to a show for the first time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

See? I'd be good at this marketing gimmick. Roper, you nearly had me dusting off and pulling on the gloves there for a second lol. Will fight for food ;) Well, michelin star stuff maybe :p

All you need to realise is that running a show it not really for profit and youre fine :p And Barry, theres nothing wrong with a nice cold pint of cider after a hard fight. Rehydrating and fully of vitamin C :)

As for names.. The problem is paying for those to turn up. Maybe being sneaky you could ask one of the guys who fight for top guys gyms to fight over here, and the big boys might tag along for a free trip to ireland lol

Advertisement