Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Community [US] **SPOILERS**

• 12-08-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

The pilot for this new NBC show with Joel McHale and Chevy Chase is currently doing the rounds on the net.
    Caught it this morning - pretty much just an introduction to the characters so far, but seems to have a lot of potential.
    Anyone else seen it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Thanks, didn't know it was out (don't you just love leaked pilot season? :)). I enjoyed Chevy Chase's stint on last season's Chuck so it'll be interesting to see if this can be a comeback for him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I watched that this morning as well. Good show, looks like it has allot of potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love Joel McHale, I must give this a look. Cheers OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,048 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh God... is he the host of 'The Soup'? Christ, he's irritating!

Will give the pilot a look later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Joel McHale is a tool

• Advertisement

Just watched this now and I must be in the minority that thought it was largely unimpressive.

Chevy Chase was inspired casting (as he was superb in Chuck last season).. but the only line in the show that made me laugh was Abed's The Breakfast Club line! :D (and the show did get brownie points with me for the nod to John Hughes's passing at the end).

Don't like Joel McHale.. don't like John Oliver, and the majority of the cast are pretty underwhelming.

Very early days of course so I'm not dismissing it just yet.. but I didn't think the pilot was particularly entertaining.

PS - updated the thread title for Season 1 discussion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Aye....off to watch it in a few, dunno...very fussy when it comes to Sitcoms.

Watched it, it was ok...few funny lines. It's not a "funny ha-ha" kinda show like The Big Bang Theory, it's more The Office. Has some good characters, too early to tell if it's a keeper....i'll give it a few eps.

basquille wrote: »
    Just watched this now and I must be in the minority that thought it was largely unimpressive.

Minority? Don't think so... I never got around to watching the pre-air, so watched the "official" pilot over the weekend and did find it average at best. I can't remember a single character's name, because for the most part, I just don't care about any of them at all... Still, I'll stick with another couple of episodes at least...
    it's more The Office

Can't agree with that - The Office at its' worst is way better than this. Maybe a very early episode of The Office, but even then, it didn't seem this average... We'll see though - "Community" could surprise us. A lot of pilots, like this one, just get wasted on introducing the characters and the premise anyway.

Aye, it might take a few to take off.

• Advertisement

It better. It's about to get a lot of competition by the end of this month - lots of new comedies starting up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

J-blk wrote: »
    It better. It's about to get a lot of competition by the end of this month - lots of new comedies starting up...

yeah and it seems good ones at that.
    I think the premise of this particular comedy would have worked better with a live audience, but I know NBC haven't really done anything like that in a long while.

Thought the second episode was much better than the first.

Loved Ken Jeong's cameo as their Spanish teacher.

Thought the second episode was much better than the first.

Loved Ken Jeong's cameo as their Spanish teacher.

+1 - pretty significant improvement over the pilot, much funnier. Ken Jeong as the Spanish teacher with the huge chip on his shoulder was great and I also thought Chevy Chase was much better in this episode too.

Isn't Ken Jeong a regular though? He was credited in the opening sequence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I did think episode 2 was better, but it still hasn't done enough to convince me that I need to watch this show. I give it 2 more episodes before I make up my mind.

J-blk wrote: »
    Isn't Ken Jeong a regular though? He was credited in the opening sequence...
    Ah... it's possible he is. I didn't notice the name in the credits!

He's superb though.

Ah... it's possible he is. I didn't notice the name in the credits!

He's superb though.

His name was in the opening credits alright. They obviously added him to the cast after the pilot was shot.

Episode 3 was brilliant. Much better than the first 2. I give it an A+... Hopefully the rest of the season will be more like this episode.

Episode 3 was brilliant.

+ 1 - solid episode. John Michael Higgins was absolutely hilarious as the free spirited accounting/economics teacher. Funny stuff with Abed too and Pierce teaching Troy how to sneeze in a more manly way :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

not much talk of this, think its great, ahbed is so funny
    although recently it might become just parodies and nothing else.

• Advertisement

I really think its a great show and incredibly underrated... The first few episodes were a bit weak, but it has really picked up... Abed is a brilliant character and I think his friendship with Troy really adds a lot to the show... I don't think there's any weak characters either - they all serve a purpose...
    I thought the latest episode with the paintball war was great...
    Its not really all that similar to any other comedies that I know of, which is a good thing in my opinion...
    How many episodes left this season? Glad its been renewed for a 2nd anyway...

The first few episodes were a bit weak, but it has really picked up...

Totally agree. The first few episodes focused too much on Jeff but once it became a true ensemble, it has become so much better. The funniest lines easily come from the "secondary" characters now, like Shirley, Pierce and Annie (though they were only secondary initially and are now all on the same level).

I think its up there with Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother anyway, which I would consider to be the two best American sitcoms on the main networks... Party Down is my favourite American Comedy Series at the moment, but I'd definitely have Community up with the best of them... I hope it gathers more of a following next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah really enjoying this at the moment
    Annie is a little hottie

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah really enjoying this at the moment
    Annie is a little hottie

She is indeed... What else has she been in? I recognise her from something else, but am currently too lazy to google it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Its renewed for a second season

What else has she been in? I recognise her from something else, but am currently too lazy to google it...

Mad Men.

Tired of it and quit it before Christmas break.

Did it improve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Same as, its an very easy watch,must sit down to watch it fully.Main guy is from "the soup" on E channel can be funny at times.

• Advertisement

Did it improve?

Definite improvement... I like it as much as Modern Family these days...

Did it improve?

Yep, easily one of the most improved shows of the season. The last few episodes in particular have gone from strength to strength...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

New episode with the paintball has to be one of my favs since the holloween ep with Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭extremehalo

watched nearly all season 1 in over the long weekend, have to say its a superb show one of my favorites this season.
    Abed as Batman, also as a dinosaur going chatting up a girl
    was brilliant :D

Ken Jeong is in nearly every show as the Spanish teacher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

The paintball ep and goodfellas spoof ep were especially good. Most improved show this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

haha yeah the latest episode with the paintball was amazing and very well done.
    the part where Chang comes in the study room and chinese music starts playing is epic!

10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

yeah I agree about the paint ball episode, brilliant episode. So well though out and produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Yeah, really liked the paintball episode. Also loved the one just before that with the pantsing!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭extremehalo

OisinT wrote: »
    haha yeah the latest episode with the paintball was amazing and very well done.
    the part where Chang comes in the study room and chinese music starts playing is epic!

10/10

just finished watching it now, sheer brillance!
    All the movie references were really well done.

I have to saw the only thing that I dont like about ths show is that it is too short!!! The half hour just flies by...

Next one tomorrow night stateside:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Just watched all of season 1 in the last week:) Oh my god, its so good! The paintball episode was amazing!
    Finally Jeff realised Annie is the hottest girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Just finished season 1 and really enjoyed it. Would highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Found a nice video of the cast being told Community got renewed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Great show, yeah the painball episode was fantastic, Senor Chang was supposed to be a Chow Yun Fat character a John Woo film right? And then he did The Predator at the end. :D
    That's what I was thinking anyway, awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts on 3e tonight

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Starts on 3e tonight

Second viewing... Nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hey, anyone else watching this? 1st season just finished in May.

I'm a big fan of Joel McHale on E's The Soup so had to check this out. Very good, easy watching show. Never a fan of Chevy but he is hilarious in this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_%28TV_series%29

Here is a vid a guy put together showing off the show (music added in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Generalissimo

I am totally, completely and utterly in love with this show. I only started watching it over the past weekend and I've watched the whole season and am halfway through a re-watch already. I found the first couple of episodes to be a little slow and not as funny but it quickly built into a very funny show. There's not a single weak link in the whole cast and each character has plenty opportunities to shine. There are a couple of episodes that I didn't really enjoy as much (
    the Jack Black one and the chicken fingers one
    ) but the rest were great. I can't wait for it to start up again in September.

Agreed!!! After the first few episodes, the gang just seemed to gel together. Very good writing on the show (plus a lot of very good improv)

I actually liked the Jack Black and Chicken Fingers one (big fan of Goodfellas) I have 2 more episodes to watch (will be done so tomorrow). I'm afraid when the new season starts, 20 minutes a week won't be enough!!!

I thought it was cancelled?

I know Wiki isn't the most reliable but:

Season 2: 2010–2011

NBC announced that Community has been renewed for a second season.[26]

Fantastic Show, but if you'd done a search you would've found we've already got a thread about it - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055648629&highlight=community

No it wasn't - was renenewed ages ago - long before the upfronts...

• Advertisement
Advertisement