Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL and downloading

Options
  • 12-08-2009 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi there,

i live with a guy who just does nothing all day but download... basically rubbish.

we have the 20mb NTL cable connection. I like to play online games,

how come anytime he starts downloading anything, my in game ping goes up to about 2kms and i cant do anything and get disconnected from the game the whole time?

20mb connection is supposed to allow more then 1 person to use it right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

oceansize wrote: »
    20mb connection is supposed to allow more then 1 person to use it right?

Yes, but it's not designed to have one person saturate the connection. You need to get him to lay off, or get a router that can traffic shape, so as to curb his downloading. Can you block off all ports to kill his torrents (if that's what he's at)?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

If you can get him to use a download manager or install a bandwidth manager so he can limit the amount of bandwidth, he uses to 50% or so.
    I use Internet Download Manager and I find it to be very handy for that kind of stuff.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

congress3 wrote: »
    If you can get him to use a download manager or install a bandwidth manager so he can limit the amount of bandwidth, he uses to 50% or so.
    I use Internet Download Manager and I find it to be very handy for that kind of stuff.

Hope this helps

Yeah, limiting the amount of bandwith he uses whilst downloading will solve your problem.

Tell him to use flashget or something similar to limit his speed leaving you 1 or 2mb on top for browsing or playing games.

Limiting the max amount of connections and bandwith (in particular the upload speed) used by his chosen torrent app will also help.

I download alot too but i'm considerate toward my housemates & save any major downloading for the middle of the night when nobodys using the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if he's a premium rapidhsare user, flashget has bandwidth controls as Simi says, but i don't think that would be killing your own connection. i think it's more likely torrenting as it uses many (hundreds, or even thousands) of simultaneous connections to remote pc's to download small parts of files from lots of people at once and then reconstruct those parts on his PC.

his torrent client will also have bandwidth limiting features too, you need to make sure he uses them.

I have ntl 20mbps and work from home sometimes and I still need to restrict my torrents to 100kB/s down and 40kB/s up to be able to remotely connect to my work PC without it being affected.

Advertisement