Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local knowledge of Malahide in the 1950's

Options
  • 12-08-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Does anyone remember a road called Sylvester TERRACE (NOT VILLAS), The Hill. It existed in 1951 but seems to have 'disappeared'. Could it have been incorporated into Sylvester Villas does anyone know? PLEASE help:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

As I remember there still is a Sylvester's Terrace there? Are you sure that Google maps is correct? Fingal CoCo or OSI may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

malahideheritage 'at' eircom.net

www.malahideheritage.com

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gfmason

Hi bluetonic,

Thanks for the link. I have checked with them but they only know of Sylvester VILLAS. I think maybe the first six houses were incorporated into the VILLAS and may have been known locally as "The TERRACE". Thanks again for your time.

Grainne

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'll ask my gf's father.

He grew up in Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

*will get back to you on this.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

gfmason wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a road called Sylvester TERRACE (NOT VILLAS), The Hill. It existed in 1951 but seems to have 'disappeared'. Could it have been incorporated into Sylvester Villas does anyone know? PLEASE help:confused:

Hi,

The only street name with Sylvester's on it (from the electoral register which is compliant with the Official Place Names requirements) in Fingal is St. Sylvesters Villa's, The Hill, Malahide or as it is known locally, Seamount, Malahide.

It would occur to me that as the Villa's are in a Terrace, it may have been incorrectly mapped as St. Syls Tce at some stage or perhaps it was just a local name. For example, the Old Coast Road running from Seapark to Biscayne is known locally as the "High" Road, for obvious reasons but does not appear in local maps.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Hi,

The only street name with Sylvester's on it (from the electoral register which is compliant with the Official Place Names requirements) in Fingal is St. Sylvesters Villa's, The Hill, Malahide or as it is known locally, Seamount, Malahide.

I beg to differ. The Hill most certainly is not the same area as Seamount. :D

As I already mentioned there is local knowledge of a terrace within the roads that are designated villas. I've suggested to the OP that they make contact with the postman and the library.

Come to think of it the best source of information for St Sylvester's would actually be in Hilltop (the local shop opposite the road).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Jonathan wrote: »
    I'll ask my gf's father.

He grew up in Malahide.
    I asked him but he hasn't heard of it.

His only explanation is that St. Sylvester's Terrace might have been the old name for the the area that is now known as The Bawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, my mother never heard of a terrace only the villas.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gfmason

Hi,

Just to thank everyone who replied to me with regard finding Sylvester Terrace. It is, in fact, Sylvester Villas and was known locally back in the 1950's as Sylvester Terrace. thanks again for your help. :D

Grainne

• Advertisement
Advertisement