Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect ICB report!! No way to contact ICB

Options
  • 12-08-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hello, i,ve recently been refused an overdraft on my account due to problems with a credit card back in 2006.Apparently a card was ordered by myself, maxed out, and not a cent was ever paid towards it. The thing is i`ve only ever had one credit card, which is still active and i've never missed any payments on it. My bank says they cannot tell what kind of card it was or give me any details except that the address asscioated with is my parents address. I have my own house and haven`t lived with my parents since 2004.
    My bank says i should contact icb but i`ve been on their site and they don`t have an email address and the number they give is a completley automated system used to order a report. There is one other number i found deep in the terms and conditions, but surprise surprise, no-one answers that.
    So now i have no idea what to do or who to go to.
    Only in ireland:mad:

Anyone have similar problems or any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

You will need to order a report before they will talk to you over the phone about it.

Number seven from the faq.

7. Can the ICB give me a credit report over the phone?

ICB must ensure your reports are kept confidential. Your credit report (when you receive it) displays a unique reference number that helps ICB confirm your identity.

ICB can only discuss your credit report with you when you can quote the unique reference number from your report i.e. you must have received your credit report first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Yes but i already paid €6.00 for a credit report back in may which i never recieved.I was trying to release equity on my mortgage to get attic converted and was refused(now i finally know why). And i'm not paying another 6 just to ask them about a mistake that THEY made.
    Theres something very suspect about this whole thing. I should have a 100% clean credit rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    And i'm not paying another 6 just to ask them about a mistake that THEY made.

I would imagine that the mistake is with your bank. The ICB merely keeps a record of information sent to it from the various banks institutions etc.

I'd pay the €6 just to get the report and have this matter resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Sounds like Identity theft to be honest.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Blackjack wrote: »
    Sounds like Identity theft to be honest.

Not beyond the realms of possibility alright. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Have a look here - http://www.icb.ie/credit_rating.php#q09

Basically, get a copy of your credit report (apply online). From there, you can follow their procedure (as below):
    9. What if there is a mistake on my report?

Mistakes can and do happen. They may be caused by either you or your lender.

you might make a mistake in completing your direct debit form and miss a loan repayment on the due date;
    or
    your lender might have agreed to let you postpone payments for a period, but forgot to change the report it sends to ICB.

By law, financial institutions must ensure that information they hold or give to anyone else about you is correct and up to date. So you have the right to insist that they correct any incorrect information about you.

If you find a mistake in your report, ask your lender to write to the ICB with details of the change, and request a copy of their letter.

Most lenders will act to correct any mistake and amend your credit report immediately however, if you experience problems or delays or if your lender fails to put things right for you, you can consider making a formal complaint and referring the matter to the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner.

Please note: ICB cannot change your credit report unless a lender requests it to do so in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sandy12

Hi I was wondering if someone could tell me if a loan that went into arreres only shows up on the ICB's system after it is paid off in full or should it be on the ICB's system straight away. I applied for a copy of my credit rating and a loan I went into arrers in about 31/2 years ago and have just about cleared is no where to be seen on the form? Also if it does show up on the ICB's system does the bad credit start from when you finished paying the loan or from when you missed the payments initially as I was young and foolish whe I missed them and would hate to think that I have to pay for it for another 5 years after the debt is cleared?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭digital_d

The report would usually show full details of the loan, the balance remaining and a breakdown of the monthly payments for the last 5 years, so if you where in arears for a few months those months would show, and then when you got out of arears - so you be in arears on the report within a short of while of missing payments - perhaps the loan was from a bank that doesn't send data to the ICB - the list of members is available at:
    http://www.icb.ie/membership.php#Banks

Advertisement