Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF IV Competition Round 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Azza wrote: »
    Make sure you show up cunny at some stage I want to put a face to the person I spent alot of last night introducing Ryu's face to Bisons roundhouse kick :D

That kick is HACKS! HACKS I TELL YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Good luck for tomorrow guys! Hope all goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Ill see all ya guys 2morow!
    Ill bring a Arcade stick and my Akuma Fight pad for who ever wants to use them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Best of luck to everyone today, especially to my sparring partner HMUYA!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'll be heading out soon myself. Good luck and have fun all.

And as my old chum Balrog would say:

Time to get paid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Not sure I'm going to make this, sorry guys. If I can I'll try and pop down to get a kicking.

Ffs,there goes my photo opportunity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Should be in around 1pm!

Good turnout today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

GGs all, sorry I had to head off early!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Good games all. Had to dash after getting knocked out.
    Can someone post up the results and winners?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Kirby got 3rd and I think Blag got 2nd. Not sure of the winner's name, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

GGs all round. Especially The Witch with our 2 double ko matches.
    Great to see such a big turnout.

My blanka didn't do as bad as i thought he would :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Bush won it. He played well.. When Blag won the first set to reset the final, I was cheering him on and hoping he could pull it off. But Bush was probably the best player on the day overall and imo deserved the tourney win.

Happy with most of my performances.... blew it a couple of times tho. Getting hit by that Blag's wake up ultra was silly of me though. :p Shoulda known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Good to see the south winning this time.
    Any idea who knocked Mike Guilfoyle out?

So Blag came 2nd, and I beat Blag in group stage eh?

If my maths is right, and I think it is...that makes me 3rd.
    Fanatstic - I'll hear no rebuttals of my logic thanks, I got a C2 in ordinary maths in my leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

1st - Bush
    2nd - Blag
    3rd - Kirby

Personally, I did a lot better than I would have if Rose had been unlocked, but Honda hasn't changed much since Super Turbo so he's easy to pick up and play.

Was good to see a decent turnout from the northern lads and hopefully they can arrange another tournament themselves soon.

Roll on the next casuals meet because I still don't own the game although at least I know no matter what console I get I have the equipment to get my stick working on it.

Well that was a lot of fun. It was nice to meet those of you that I got a chance to say hello to. I must apologise for holding up the games I was in from starting due to my awkward button config preference :o

Gotta say a job well done to Azza for organising the event and a general well done to everyone for providing entertaining games to watch and play.

Now, I'm gonna go practice till my fingers bleed, good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

Blankas and Bisons, fight me. I need practice against your stupid, ****ty characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yay, now to edit the...
    (wait, seriously?... no, srsly??)
    FIVE HOURS of tape I got.

Full steam ahead! :D

Well you can start by deleting my matches, I'd rather they not see the light of day >_>

Except for the double KO one, that was mildly amusing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Creature wrote: »
    Well you can start by deleting my matches, I'd rather they not see the light of day >_>

Except for the double KO one, that was mildly amusing. :pac:
    Oh, I would LOVE to do that... except that I have no idea who is who excepting Grand Finals, so THEY'RE ALL GOING UP! :pac:

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Oh, I would LOVE to do that... except that I have no idea who is who excepting Grand Finals, so THEY'RE ALL GOING UP! :pac:

[Bison]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/Bison]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sabre (I think?) should have an easier time editing his footage as he stop-started his recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Sabre (I think?) should have an easier time editing his footage as he stop-started his recording.

His internet connection is down for for the next few days unfortunately :/

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

Just back up in Belfast, gg's all. Tournament started pretty late which was a bit of a downer since we all got there early, but nonetheless good craic once we got it rolling. Looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Great tourney overall. I thought the new format worked very well (best of 3 matches in elimination brackets).

There were some great matches,Kirby V Mike was particularly good,a perfect display by Kirby,he controlled the match expertly and I was delighted for him.

For me personally,I got off to a terrible start (as usual) and barely scraped by the groups,I felt for Dreddy in the groups,he played well and could have easily got through another group on the day.

A particular mention goes to A Trak,took be my surprise in the group,really good Honda.Hope to get some games in on xbox live sometime.

Mixed feelings about the final,I could have done better in the second set but Bush is a top player so it's not so bad losing to him.It's the best I've done against him so at least there was significant improvement from my point of view.

Big thanks to Kiki and Sabre for going to the effort of recording/editing/uploading matches.

PS It was good to finally put a face to Creature/Neptune,ggs man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

I'm too tired to post my thoughts on the day in detail right now, but GGs.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Well to get the bad out of the way first.
    There was an hour delay in getting the tournament started. Was partly due to me not wanting to get started as I felt the numbers where too low and it would be best to wait.

Next time I will have the draw done out before hand to save a bit of time and have a contingency for the double elimination brackets creation. The fact that it was 5 groups of 5 threw my plans for the double elimination draw out the window. These delays probably accounted for a half an hour in lost time.

Also was some debate over weather to run the upper bracket at the same time as the lower bracket. While it would be preferable to do just one at a time I'm not sure if time would allow. Might require for us to start an hour earlier. Also might introduce a 30 minute break to allow people to get food or eat food they brought with them.

Otherwise simply handing out a group sheet to each person worked well. I might use a laptop with a bracket creator for a double elimination stage in the future.

Onto the good stuff. Tournament was good fun once again. (sorry if I spelled a name wrong or don't know the character you play)
    Finishing order for the top 16.

1. Diarmuid Busher "Bush" (Blanka) Prize = €171.50
    2. James Vincent "Blag" (Dictator) Prize = €85.50
    3. Damien Hunter "Kirby (Dhalsim) Prize = €28.50
    4. Patrick Cummins "The Witch" (C.Viper)
    5. Daniel Pollock "VDeck" (Rufus)
    5. Mike Guilfoyle "Newtype" (Ryu)
    7. John Lundy "LiquidSwords" (Fei-Long)
    7. Jeff Yorke "Azza" (Dictator)
    9. Paul Fitz "A-Trak" (E-Honda)
    9. Kieran Gleeson "PPC"
    9. Chris Ly "Roogle" (Boxer)
    9. Robert Lavery "Yarvel" (Sakura)
    13. Richard Heanon "FoamyMushroom" (Akuma)
    13. Brian Quigley "Dr.Doom" (Guile)
    13. Daniel Madden "HMUYA"
    13. Emmet Farrel

Some really entertaining matches which should hopefully be online soon.
    First of all well done to Bush, the man knows how to play Blanka and he will always be a contender for the win in any tournament, we host.
    Happy for Blag to see a fellow Dictator do well. I really think if your heart was in this like it is in ST you would dominate. Good fights against Bush, The Witch and John Lundy (the Fei-Long player) who I had rather tense and enjoyable match with.
    Also happy for Kirby, the way he controlled the match against Mike was exceptional, Mike had no answers for it on the day.
    Good showing from The Witch as well. Showing a well impressive Viper once again.
    Good to finally see the south victorious over the north for a change. I'm sure the guys from up north will be back better than ever and once again great to have them attending.
    Highlight for myself was landing a gimmick ultra on A-Trak in another tense and cagey match in the lower brackets. A-Trak you certainly got alot tougher.

Just want to thank a few people.
    Ko.KiKi once again for recording so many matches.
    Sabre001 from E-Sports that i.e for doing the same and coming all the way from Limerick to support the community.
    Kinetic our friendly neighbourhood moderator who once again stopped by to show his support.
    Of course last but not least all the players who took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Very enjoyable day.

I think a special mention to Kirdy and A-Track whom I think played excellently today (especially track who has improved alot imo!). gg guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Gotta get some more practice in against blanka. Bush completely beasted me in the winners final and I didn't have a clue what to do :p. Eagre to see the video for it and try and suss out all the mistakes I was making, which were many let me tell you. I started off trying to counter hit.....which just devolved into "plz don't hit me" after about one round :D

I was really impressed with John Lundy, the Fei-Long player. I don't see many people play him but this guy was really solid. Knew his spacing and punishments really well and I look forward to a chance to play him. Who eliminated him in the end btw?

Again, thanks to kiki and sabre for bringing and manning the camera's. Makes it cool knowing that most of the matches can go up on youtube for the world to see and mock our scrubbyness :p

Btw Azza, My surname is "Hunter" not Heule. My fault, my handwriting is crap and i should've written in blocks to make it easier on you. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Blag put out john lundy, was a close one. Just noticed his gamertag there, hes on my friends list and I played a few games with him the other day.
    I agree with azza about blag that if he played more sf4 he would dominate. He could have easily won yesterday, when he won the the first set I was thinking **** it, 2nd aint bad.

Advertisement