Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF IV Competition Round 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Creature wrote: »
    Except for the double KO one, that was mildly amusing. :pac:

Yeah that was me! Was one hell of a close match :p

Well done to everyone and to azza for sitting at the helm. Good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

What was the overall total of players there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Great day. Energy was sapped from being in that sauna of a game centre for so long.

Well done to Azza for running it - it all went fairly well and the few problems will clear up over time.

Good luck to Kiki in his great video edit/purge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

PPC wrote: »
    What was the overall total of players there?

25 total in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

HMUYA wrote: »
    Great day. Energy was sapped from being in that sauna of a game centre for so long.

was actually nice and cool down the PS3 end of the room... although that's probably because there was nobody down there :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

L31mr0d wrote: »
    was actually nice and cool down the PS3 end of the room... although that's probably because there was nobody down there :(

I was tempted to try and play a few casuals there but I didn't really know what the story was, and as the end of the tourney approached, the matches were just too good to miss.

Have to say, extremely impressive stuff.
    Was an odd experience talking to people who I may or may not have talked to before online, not knowing who people were etc :o

I also got to try a joystick out for the 1st time. Seems I'll almost have to re-learn the entire game if I do go the way of the stick.

I felt bad for that akuma player. Maybe I'm wrong but to me it looked like he won 2 matches, then the other guy won 2 but I dunno.

I was extremely impressed by a lot of the players there, certainly a motivation to try and get a bit better at the game, its seems like nothing beats playing with some skillful lads in person to up your game versus playing online. I look forward to joining in on the casuals and eventuality make it in on time for a tourney next time around :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 VDecK

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I felt bad for that akuma player. Maybe I'm wrong but to me it looked like he won 2 matches, then the other guy won 2 but I dunno.

He had played a match before on that console and he won the last match which left him with 1 win under his name, he then played the next loser bracket round and won set 1 which put 2 wins under his name. He then lost the next 2 sets, it has been recorded anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Any video's ready to upload yet? :D bored out of my tree and would love a match or two to watch..doesn't matter who they are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kiki will be a while with his as he has to encode it all first and then edit it into individual matches.

Then we have to figure out who is in each match.

Hopefully Sabre will get some of his up soon.

• Moderators Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah there is no question about the result at all in that match between Chris and Richard. Several people saw the result and it was recorded. Richard was probably just confused over the match he played and won before he started his game against Chris.

• Advertisement

VDecK wrote: »
    He had played a match before on that console and he won the last match which left him with 1 win under his name, he then played the next loser bracket round and won set 1 which put 2 wins under his name. He then lost the next 2 sets, it has been recorded anyway.

Hey man, I was talking to you about this on the day but I think you thought I was arguing against you when I wasn't :D

I was just trying to get my head around what was happening. Roogle would have known if he had lost two in a row

animaX wrote: »
    Hey man, I was talking to you about this on the day but I think you thought I was arguing against you when I wasn't :D

I was just trying to get my head around what was happening. Roogle would have known if he had lost two in a row

Oh no I knew you weren't arguing with me, might have just come off the wrong way. Apologies if I did.

Oh no I knew you weren't arguing with me, might have just come off the wrong way. Apologies if I did.

No worries, just didn't want you to think I was taking sides! I had some good games with roogle in the group stage

No worries, just didn't want you to think I was taking sides! I had some good games with roogle in the group stage

No escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Oh right I understand now.

And in regards to what you guys are saying, of course yeah fighting games bring an adrenaline rush so any conversations on stuff like that while peoples hearts are pumping like mad can make things sound like more of an argument then they actually are , even more so during a tourney lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I think it was yourself who described Kirby as "loud and obnoxious" after he beat you. Certain it was a heat of the moment thing though as Kirby is probably the friendliest guy you'll ever meet. Although his self commentary could definitely be annoying if you're on the losing side of it.

Your Rufus is good though. I'd not played Rufus before and didn't know what to do in our group matches. Think everyone else in the group had the same problem.

Hopefully we'll have things organised better next time and can maybe try to start at one or so and have a break for food some time during the day.

We'll certainly try to be more accomodating to the people making the journey down in future anyway as we don't want to lose out on a bunch of good players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

blag wrote: »
    For me personally,I got off to a terrible start (as usual) and barely scraped by the groups,I felt for Dreddy in the groups,he played well and could have easily got through another group on the day.

Haha, cheers dude, just the luck of the draw, though I'm not sure overall about how I feel about that group setup. Well played on on the result, glad I wasn't dominated by just any scrub! :pac:

I think it was yourself who described Kirby as "loud and obnoxious" after he beat you. Certain it was a heat of the moment thing though as Kirby is probably the friendliest guy you'll ever meet. Although his self commentary could definitely be annoying if you're on the losing side of it.

Force of habbit tbh. :p Even when I'm playing at home on my own, I'm constantly chattering to myself, "Oh, that was an accident", "Didn't mean to do that" "Oh, that was a nice combo" etc.

It's just what I do... and to be fair, I do it whether I'm winning or losing. If its irritating to people I'll try and keep it in check but whats the point in showing up to real life tourney's if people talking is annoying to a person. Isn't that the point of meeting up instead of playing online? the atmosphere? the chat?

As I said, I'll try and keep it in check but I would appreciate it Vdeck that if somebody has a problem with me to say it to my face as opposed to skulking away and whispering in corners like an old lady.

No problem, I'll be sure to let you know next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Do we have the makings of hyped up grudge match for the next meet?

• Advertisement

As I said, I'll try and keep it in check but I would appreciate it Vdeck that if somebody has a problem with me to say it to my face as opposed to skulking away and whispering in corners like an old lady.

As I would also appreciate being able to play an opponent online who would not frown upon myself changing characters after 17 games of the same match ups :D
    Asides from which I don't think VDeck was whispering it, more talking out loud for all to hear.

Anyway relax lads, for both players it was probably a heat of the moment things. While its not intentional, some people do commentate there own games and Kirby isn't the only one, it bothers some people and some people don't even hear it. Its just one of those things that happens at tournaments.

Besides its no where near as bad as womens tennis at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I find myself doing it at times too, not so much during casuals or whatever but in tournament matches my brain is just running too fast or something and I make a fool of myself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I think it was yourself who described Kirby as "loud and obnoxious" after he beat you.
    Kirby wrote: »
    It's just what I do... and to be fair, I do it whether I'm winning or losing. If its irritating to people I'll try and keep it in check but whats the point in showing up to real life tourney's if people talking is annoying to a person. Isn't that the point of meeting up instead of playing online? the atmosphere? the chat?

I think you brought this up before Kirby actually, but it's when money is on the line tbh. I noticed a few gritted teeth and lowered eyebrows after a few of the defeats myself. You'd be amazed what people think is obnoxious or condescending when they have that much adrenaline in their blood and then lose.

It goes with the turf. I remember a few of the guys where muttering in college when your team trounced all of us in the CS:S tournament. Just sore losers I guess. Probably why Dan had such a beef with your "monstrosity" of a mouse, lol :D

Azza wrote: »
    Besides its no where near as bad as womens tennis at times.

Who says womens tennis is bad?! Its like daytime pr0n :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

If I acted the way I do when im playing at home online I would be thrown out :pac:

Yeah same. I generally a gracious winner but can be a poor looser too at times. I can usually constrain myself most of the time, but in certain games some sort of devil takes over me and I just can't control myself!

Its the scrub mentality where I need to justify my loss with out admitting that I was just outplayed. I mean the only way anyone can beat me is by using some cheap character (i.e not Bison) with cheap moves (throws, normals, specials, supers, ultras etc). I mean who the hell do these players think they are beating me. ME THE GREATEST HUMAN BEING THAT EVER WALKED THE PLANET AND CAN DO NO WRONG EVER!

L31mr0d wrote: »
    You'd be amazed what people think is obnoxious or condescending when they have that much adrenaline in their blood and then lose.

It goes with the turf. I remember a few of the guys where muttering in college when your team trounced all of us in the CS:S tournament. Just sore losers I guess. Probably why Dan had such a beef with your "monstrosity" of a mouse, lol :D

Yeh I remember that :D. I always thought people should be able to use thier own equipment, and he banned my favourite mouse which i thought was a bit unsporting. Was still fun though, mostly cause we were all low to mid level players and the spray and pray was alive and well. I remember skipping many a class to play COD1 too. Good times :p
    Who says womens tennis is bad?! Its like daytime pr0n :p

Them williams sisters are awful sounding tho. And That Sharapova one sounds likes she's climaxing after every "ground stroke" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

OK then...

I'm quite disappointed to only have got joint 9th but I had some pretty good games, especially my victories over The Witch and HMUYA (that had to be the most anticlimactic match of the day - after two tense, closely-fought sets I almost double-perfect him in the third. Can't wait to see that on YouTube). I was the only one to take a round off Bush in our group, too.

To be honest I was unpleasantly surprised to see all the FIGHT MONEEYYY stay south of the border - after the third set against HMUYA I thought I had a decent shot at some of it myself. Well done to you guys though, the level of play down south has increased noticeably since Dramatic Battle.

After the tourney I had a fun evening out with the rest of the NI doods, the highlights being Roogle's struggle with the god-tier ketchup at Captain America's and some great games of Tekken 6 at Dr. Quirkey's.

It's a shame that the proposed 5v5 never went ahead, but considering that as things were I didn't get home until 1:30 am (and also considering how NI performed in the tourney :pac:) it wasn't too great a loss.

We'll be back for that FIGHT MONEEYYY next time! No escape!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Yreval wrote: »

To be honest I was unpleasantly surprised to see all the FIGHT MONEEYYY stay south of the border

Some of the fight money went North of the border,even if it wasn't with a native!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

blag wrote: »
    Some of the fight money went North of the border,even if it wasn't with a native!

Sorry, I completely forgot about that!

Advertisement