Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade advice

Options
  • 12-08-2009 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

I know... Not like me to look for advice, but i've not been paying any attention to the tech market for months now. Basicially i want to get MOAR FPS whiel gaming.

Current system is a

E2100 @ 3.8ghz
    8800GTS 512mb
    4GB geil black dragon ddr2
    asus p5t-v HDMI board or something.

I have a spare Q6600 here to lash into it but what i want is a graphics card thats really gonna bump the fps up in wow. Current monitors are a tri display with 2 x 20" dells and a 22" dell all @ 1680*1050 but the 22" being the main one i game on, the others are used for somethign to watch and soemthign to read. Have been thinking about getting either a 250/260gtx or a 4870/4890 but there is where im stuck have no idea which is best. Also, would like to keep this under 200€ and preferably be pretty quiet. Oh and no longer then the current card too as this is all in a nzxt rogue case.

Halp me B&U, yore my only hope !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

Well, the GTX275 and 4890 perform about the same, with each side taking roughly equal wins depending on the benchmarked games.

You can probably pick up the 4890 for >€30 less than the GTX275 however.

But since you will gaming on a 1680x1050 monitor, you won't need as much power and I'd say a 4870 1GB would be enough (theres only about 10-15% between the 4870 and 4890 anyhow)

The 4870 should again be >€30 cheaper than the 4890.

The GTX260 is typically more expensive than the 4870 1GB with equal performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I would say a sapphire 4890 with a vapourX cooler might fit the bill.

199 on komplett and I think a tenner cheaper on pixmania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

uberpixie wrote: »
    I would say a sapphire 4890 with a vapourX cooler might fit the bill.

199 on komplett and I think a tenner cheaper on pixmania.

It was 169 on Pixmania at one stage, worth checking. Super card. OC's very well to boot, cooler is excellent. To be honest nothing I'd change there apart from the card.

Unless by E2100 by meant Celeron E1200, which is just crippled by the meagre L2 cache. If you meant a cpu from the E2160/2140/etc range then I think you're grand.

If you're picky about noise levels, then the Vapor-X 4890 is a solid choice. Or the Vapor-X 4870, which is only about 130 on Pixmania and also a great card at 1680x1050.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Aye sorry, i meant the 2160. Tis an alrigh chip, but im deffo gonna my my q6600 back in for the extra oompfh. Im liking the idea of the Vapor-X cards if they are pretty quiet. Atm the box itself when not gaming is whisper quiet as all 6 fans are connected upto a fancontroller or pwm controlled, but the 8800gts is a noisy auld whore after about 30 mins of gaming.

Cheers lads !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Apparently the current card lengths are as follows. Atis are just over 1cm longer that that your current card, new Nvidias are 4cm longer.

HD4890: 241 mm

8800GT/GTS: 229 mm

260/275GTX: 269 mm

• Advertisement

Best i get the auld dremel out, wha?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Anti wrote: »
    Best i get the auld dremel out, wha?

LOL. Not even a spare 12mm then? :)

I have the HD4870 in an Antec 300 and i lost a drive bay to the GPU. They fit in together alright but at the expense of actually being able to connect cabels to them :D.

Naturally I only learnt this after I had the HDD screwed in nice and tight.

i dont think so to be honest, its a really tight fit as it is, ill pobaby have to cut the hard drive bay out on the left hand side of the case... ofcourse. nzxt never thought of makign it a removable drive bay :/

Ordered the card last week, and pixmania sent me a samsung Nc10 netbook... Its worth about 350€ shame its got a ****ign french keyboard layout and windows in french otherwiese it'd be up on adverts now :(

Is this type of **** normal for pixmania?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Strange... from experience the only thing I don't get from them in French is graphics cards. They're usually dead reliable with those :)

So they gave you the wrong item and then made sure that was in French? That sets a new precendent for the level of Pixyness Pixmania has displayed lately. Nice one lads! lol.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ordered the card last week, and pixmania sent me a samsung Nc10 netbook... Its worth about 350€ shame its got a ****ign french keyboard layout and windows in french otherwiese it'd be up on adverts now :(

It happens. I've got loads of free stuff from Ebuyer including a really good camera (in it's days) usb hub, photo paper. They never seem to look for it back, could make yourself a nice few bob selling it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Whack ubuntu netbook remix on that bad boy and sell it on.
    Netbook remix will work straight out of the box. (have a nc10 myself)

So you guys think the graphics card is still on its way too? If it is ill keep the laptop, but if not they can have it back.

Try tracking the parcel, see if its "delivered" or not. If its somewhere in France or still in the post, so to speak, you should be fine. If its delivered then get onto Pix sharpish. Never heard of that level of screwup before though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I paid for a DDR3 4650 and got a DDR2 one - quite understandable really, but the whole process of returning it - to france - is a bit of a pain that I don't think I'll bother. Might ask if they can just refund the difference...

Solitaire wrote: »
    Try tracking the parcel, see if its "delivered" or not. If its somewhere in France or still in the post, so to speak, you should be fine. If its delivered then get onto Pix sharpish. Never heard of that level of screwup before though...

Yeah its a bit of a joke really, well if i dont get the card. If i do... happy days...

Laptop, what laptop lolwut? That thing behind me? Ya, its a um.. paperweight, yes a paperweight *nod/slamdoor*

just checked the tracking, its been delivered. Oh well. I get a laptop over it.

Another industrial-scale Pix screwup just before I was going to order a whole load of rare casemodding bits... this does not bode well...

Advertisement