Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GT To Reveal Half Life 2: Episode 3 Information Thursday?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

WTF, that was pointless

Move along folks, nothing to see here

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I expect Portal 2 and Episode 3 will be released in tandem.

Careful. I might quote you and next thing you know we have a proper rumour.

You're a moderator on Steam forums, no? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Maximilian wrote: »
    Careful. I might quote you and next thing you know we have a proper rumour.

You're a moderator on Steam forums, no? ;)

Haha . . . yes . . . but err, thats my personal opinion.

;)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Haha . . . yes . . . but err, thats my personal opinion.

;)

brb - setting up twitter acount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Overheal wrote: »
    The First rule of games is, You Don't Wait Eagerly For A Valve Game.

The Second rule of games is, You Don't Wait Eagerly For A Valve Game.

Third Rule: You Don't Wait Eagerly For A Mod of a Valve Game:

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

What ever happened to the black mesa mod? I have been looking forard to that one for nearly 3 years at this stage now methinks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tails wrote: »
    What ever happened to the black mesa mod? I have been looking forard to that one for nearly 3 years at this stage now methinks.

Its still in development, apparently they hoped to have it out by Christmas . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its still in development, apparently they hoped to have it out by Christmas . . .
    Christmas according to valve is when Hell freezes over, btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

c*cktease

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Christmas according to valve is when Hell freezes over, btw.
    But Black Mesa Source isn't being made by Valve, it's an independant mod. There was a trailer early in the year (and the game looks pretty sweet), but I'm willing to wait on the basis that the makers of it have jobs and lives of their own :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Rezident

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm ok with waiting for both of them to release their games. At least they dont realease buggy messes, like so many developers these days. They take their time, iron out most/all problems, and release quality games.

Totally agree, just got GTA IV - what a joke of a game, nice textures but it doesn't work properly. Stalker Clear Sky was also a disaster. It's hard waiting for Valve games but at least you know they always work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hinduhamster

It was fairly dissapointing to get a line or two of dialogue such as "we're not talking about episode 3" and "yeah we're working on it" after the steam news mentioning ep 3....I guess talking about it was a literal meaning.

Maybe next year with it being the 6th anniversary of hl2 we might get something.........?

Until then....roll on black mesa.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It was fairly dissapointing to get a line or two of dialogue such as "we're not talking about episode 3" and "yeah we're working on it" after the steam news mentioning ep 3....I guess talking about it was a literal meaning.

Maybe next year with it being the 6th anniversary of hl2 we might get something.........?

Until then....roll on black mesa.
    wtf is so special about the 6th annum?

15th series anni - thats where its at.

wtf is so special about the 6th annum?

15th series anni - thats where its at.

Actually, yeah.....what the hell was I thinking. That's far too soon!

Well that's my time in fantasy land ruined, sigh;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I just keep watching escape from city 17..Satifies my needs for a short while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I just hope they release it before....god forbid....we actually dont care what happens to Gordon. I mean how many years ago was it we took that train ride through Black Mesa, 11 god damned years ago! Dont get me wrong, for me, The Half Life games are the definitive fps games, and an enthralling gaming experience...but Id like to close the chapter on what we know so far, and move on from there....

Its eleven years on, and all we have in a nutshell is, Gordon got a job, had an accident, shot his way out of his job, took another train ride into city 17, got recognised, shot his way out of the city, then some other lad got killed. NEXT CHAPTER PLEASE - before we dont care!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

EnterNow wrote: »
    Its eleven years on, and all we have in a nutshell is, Gordon got a job, had an accident, shot his way out of his job, took another train ride into city 17, got recognised, shot his way out of the city, then some other lad got killed. NEXT CHAPTER PLEASE - before we dont care!

that synopsis is just a little on the short side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

pixelburp wrote: »
    But Black Mesa Source isn't being made by Valve, it's an independant mod. There was a trailer early in the year (and the game looks pretty sweet), but I'm willing to wait on the basis that the makers of it have jobs and lives of their own :D

I agree that games should be released when there done and not because its a certain time of the year and rushed out but in all fairness its not like Valve are making a whole game here its just an episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mayordenis wrote: »
    that synopsis is just a little on the short side.

Hence the nutshell comment. If you'd like a full synopsis, wikipedia may facilitate you. Im simply implying, that after eleven years, we should have had a lot more in terms of Half Life, than in fact we actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

If Gabe had gotten up on a platform, said ''Half-life, Episode 3'', and immediately stepped down and left the building, I think I'd still cream myself.

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    If Gabe had gotten up on a platform, said ''Half-life, Episode 3'', and immediately stepped down and left the building, I think I'd still cream myself.

That's pretty much what he did. Now wipe your keyboard down.

?

The latest news I have was Valve is learning Sign Language for some key character animations in the game. Other than that, I need links.

For those of you who want to see some of what Gabe said,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5KTAm7kac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol I'm glad I didn't click any links and give them hits for that "information" about EP3.

I think Valve are doing an overall on the source engine for it TBH. Otherwise we'd know more information by now and they'd be a bit further along.

Of course maybe they still have money left over from selling EP2 and are still out on the town getting hookers and coke. It is Valve after all.

Most likely the HL2 dev team are all pissed off about the idler halo update the TF2 guys released and are trying to get their hats back :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think its stupid for them to do any major overhaul on the engine for the last part of a trilogy tbh. We dont want crazy new visuals. Upgrade certain aspects of it (Ep1 had better lighting and faces, Ep2 had better physics and outdoor environments), get it released, then work on your new engine for Half Life 3.

Kiith wrote: »
    I think its stupid for them to do any major overhaul on the engine for the last part of a trilogy tbh. We dont want crazy new visuals. Upgrade certain aspects of it (Ep1 had better lighting and faces, Ep2 had better physics and outdoor environments), get it released, then work on your new engine for Half Life 3.

It needs an overhaul if they are going to sell the game to anyone but the fans of the series so far TBH.

Its ok but when you see the latest games out, it isn't up to scratch with them and would undersell if released IMO.

thebman wrote: »
    It needs an overhaul if they are going to sell the game to anyone but the fans of the series so far TBH.

It really does not though, does it? I mean Left 4 Dead sold very well and it still uses the same base (yet the graphics are far better).

The Source engine has changed dramatically sing HL2's release.

It really does not though, does it? I mean Left 4 Dead sold very well and it still uses the same base (yet the graphics are far better).

The Source engine has changed dramatically sing HL2's release.

Yeah but L4D is based in dark settings that cover a lot and it isn't supposed to be a showcase game.

HL is always seen as a showcase game. It is also closer to being a generic shooter than L4D which was pretty original and an online game in which standards are lower. People forgive older looking graphics in online games because they are having fun with each other.

I'd buy it without an overhaul but the people that buy KZ2 or Gears of War will probably not buy it without an overhaul IMO (obviously the fans of HL series that bought those games but they won't win any many new gamers from doing it IMO).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just think upgrading it significantly for the final part of a trilogy of episodes makes no sense. Its not supposed to be about the graphics. Its about the story/gameplay etc, and i think it will lose a lot of its feel if they go and make it look way better then the previous chapters.

I dont think they will upgrade it tbh, at least not in any huge way. I'm sure Valve would like us to be able to play through them all, without having to upgrade your pc for the final chapter. As for the graphics, Source is still a pretty damn fantastic engine. Maybe not up to the latest Crytek/Unreal engine, but still pretty damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

thebman wrote: »

Its ok but when you see the latest games out, it isn't up to scratch with them and would undersell if released IMO.

Who else is going to buy the third part of an episodic trilogy that doesn't already have the first two though?
    Can't see it attracting many new fans unless they bundle it with Portal 2 or whatever...

I reckon the source engine should cope just fine anyway. As has already been said, look at L4D/L4D2 for an example of what it can pull off

• Advertisement

Well I'll buy it no matter what.

I think they'll lose many of the 360 users who bought the orange box if they release it the same as the games in that box.

Orange Box only really sold well on 360 because of the value factor IMO. I could see many people just ignoring EP3 that might buy it with an overhaul.

I agree with pretty much everything you guys say but Valve have to worry about everyone else. Many people buy games such as Prince of Persia 2 without having the original. People do that. I mean I have Killzone 2 but I don't have Killzone.

Advertisement