Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Anniversary Lady Luck!

Options
  • 12-08-2009 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'd just like to take the time to wish Lady Luck a very happy anniversary. It's now 500 posts since she first started the thread on communism by declaring herself a proud Marxist. She failed to post a second time on that particular thread so I would like to invite her to come back and read the entire 499 remaining posts.

We are all used to people throwing around words like communist and Marxist with little idea of what they actually mean. Or no consideration to what those words meant to the millions of people who perished beneath them. But as a proud Marxist I'm sure we would all appreciate her most educated opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'd just like to take the time to wish Lady Luck a very happy anniversary. It's now 500 posts since she first started the thread on communism by declaring herself a proud Marxist. She failed to post a second time on that particular thread so I would like to invite her to come back and read the entire 499 remaining posts.

We are all used to people throwing around words like communist and Marxist with little idea of what they actually mean. Or no consideration to what those words meant to the millions of people who perished beneath them. But as a proud Marxist I'm sure we would all appreciate her most educated opinion.

I take it you didnt bother reading the other thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭minusorange

efla wrote: »
    I take it you didnt bother reading the other thread

I did actually read through the 500 posts so cut me some slack :)

What am I missing?

I did actually read through the 500 posts so cut me some slack :)

What am I missing?

Sorry, the more recent one. Where a few attempts were made to separate Marxism from Communism. 'Marxist' and 'communist' are different. I'm not attempting to defend communism, so there is no agenda of pristine interpretation (or by extension apologies for later applied mis-interpretations) - its just the more of these threads I read, I see less of how they manage to conflate the two, time and again without any sense of the vast and varied intellectual legacies both positive and negative. Not all marxists are communists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭minusorange

efla wrote: »
    Sorry, the more recent one. Where a few attempts were made to separate Marxism from Communism. 'Marxist' and 'communist' are different

No, I've enough of communism to do me the rest of the year.

I was just referring to Lady Luck's post where she reffered to herself as a Communist, Marxist, and a 'commy' in the same paragraph.

Tongue in cheek my friend, Take it or leave it :cool:

No, I've enough of communism to do me the rest of the year.

I was just referring to Lady Luck's post where she reffered to herself as a Communist, Marxist, and a 'commy' in the same paragraph.

Tongue in cheek my friend, Take it or leave it :cool:

It may be a welcome change..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Not an acceptable thread.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement